Confirmed with Link: Galchenyuk,Flynn,Tinordi,Bournival,Thomas and Nygren gets qualifying offers

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
He's as bad as DD or Parenteau in his own end and provides nothing more than an above average right handed faceoff skill on offense. There's several prospects drafted by the habs that I would play far before Flynn.

Flynn is bad defensively? thats news to me

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Anybody else get the feeling that Tinordi accepts his qualifying offer?

It's a two way contract, and that AHL salary of $67K is not much. I think he will negotiate a higher AHL but lower NHL salary since with who else is signed, he looks to be destined to the AHL.

HabsDieHard*

It's a two way contract, and that AHL salary of $67K is not much. I think he will negotiate a higher AHL but lower NHL salary since with who else is signed, he looks to be destined to the AHL.

What are the odds a team doesn't claim Tinordi if he's put on waivers though?

Pretty slim I'd think. So not sure the 2 way aspect really affects the situation that much.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
The problem with defensive defenceman is that if they dont play their role well, they are basically worth nothing, not even a 7th round pick because they don't bring offence too.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
What are the odds a team doesn't claim Tinordi if he's put on waivers though?

Pretty slim I'd think. So not sure the 2 way aspect really affects the situation that much.

Since it's a two way contract, if he is initially assigned to the AHL, there is no waivers if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
I was under the impression one way and two way had zero to do with waivers.

I thought waivers only applied to players from the NHL down to AHL ... and Tinordi is in the AHL.

It would make one wonder why a player would take a contract for less than the NHL offer if AHL players had to clear waivers.

I'm not 100% on this and will see if I can find out more from the CBA.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I thought waivers only applied to players from the NHL down to AHL ... and Tinordi is in the AHL.

It would make one wonder why a player would take a contract for less than the NHL offer if AHL players had to clear waivers.

I'm not 100% on this and will see if I can find out more from the CBA.

Every player signed to an NHL deal as to pass waiver if eligible. They all count as being in the NHL at season start. Only AHL deal are completely waiver exempt.

EA games really screwed (EHM also did to a lesser instance) the perception of waivers.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Fine with those guys getting their QO including Thomas and Nygren. At one point, you could potentially do a minor deal involving them somehow. Will never be the end of the world...but even if it helps the Caps, it's fine too.

Bye to Tangradi and Bowman.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Every player signed to an NHL deal as to pass waiver if eligible. They all count as being in the NHL at season start. Only AHL deal are completely waiver exempt.

EA games really screwed (EHM also did to a lesser instance) the perception of waivers.

The way it reads in Article 13.4 of the CBA agreement is that if a player who is 24 years old and has played less than 60 NHL games, he is exempt from waivers if sent down.

Tinordi is 24 and has only played 43 NHL games, and as well, is in the AHL at the start of the season.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Since it's a two way contract, if he is initially assigned to the AHL, there is no waivers if I remember correctly.

incorrect, it being a two way contract has nothing to do with it. The season is over, in order to play in the AHL next year, Tinordi would have to clear waivers, he won't be sent down though so it's a moot point since they wouldn't risk it. He'll either make the team or be traded.

Fine with those guys getting their QO including Thomas and Nygren. At one point, you could potentially do a minor deal involving them somehow. Will never be the end of the world...but even if it helps the Caps, it's fine too.

No need to trade Nygren, since you don't need an NHL out clause from the sounds of it, they can just bring him back any time. So why not let him sit in the SHL for as long as it takes until they think he's ready to come over. We own his rights till June 2019 and he doesn't count against the 50 contract limit so there's no harm in keeping his rights over the next several years. Unless of course someone wants to overpay for him.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
incorrect, it being a two way contract has nothing to do with it. The season is over, in order to play in the AHL next year, Tinordi would have to clear waivers, he won't be sent down though so it's a moot point since they wouldn't risk it. He'll either make the team or be traded.

No need to trade Nygren, since you don't need an NHL out clause from the sounds of it, they can just bring him back any time. So why not let him sit in the SHL for as long as it takes until they think he's ready to come over. We own his rights till June 2019 and he doesn't count against the 50 contract limit so there's no harm in keeping his rights over the next several years. Unless of course someone wants to overpay for him.

2019? We keep his rights until he's 29? I thought he automatically became an UFA at 27 for anyone not playing in the KHL?

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada

He will need to clear waivers to be sent down though, so its unlikely he'll be seeing much AHL time this year.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
The problem with defensive defenceman is that if they dont play their role well, they are basically worth nothing, not even a 7th round pick because they don't bring offence too.

I'd say Tinordi has enough potential to be worth more then a 7th lol. Surely one team will want to try and give him a chance and use him as a throw in for a bigger deal, assuming we do trade him. I still think he can turn it around and be a solid # 4.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013

I understand that it's moot in a way and it's make it or trade for him this year, but what about what it says in Article 13.4 of the CBA for waiver exemptions. As per my other post after reading the CBA agreement ...

"It's quite clear and the way it reads in Article 13.4 of the CBA agreement is that if a player who is 23 or 24 years old and has played less than 60 NHL games, he is exempt from waivers if sent down."

Tinordi is 23 and has only played 48 NHL games, and as well, is in the AHL at the start of the season."

Why does that not apply?

The other thing about this if Tinordi is on the NHL roster vs the AHL roster and accepts his Qualifying Offer for the NHL amount of $850K, and Flynn his for $715K, and Bournival for $715K, and Thomas for $850K (which would add up to $3.1M taken out of $4.9M left without having Galchenyuk yet.) Would the other three all not have to clear waivers as well if sent down?

Added Note: Playoff games count so I have changed his total to 48 to include those playoff games.

Last edited:

DogsFan*

I can't speak for Thomas, but Kristo was highly talked about on NCAA boards since he played for likely the biggest program in college hockey and was easily one of the best players in the NCAA as well as being one of North Dakota's top scorers all 4 years.

And now? AHL player at best. Certainly not something to lose sleep over like some seem to..

Who cares about the trade.. the guy is a horrendous hockey player who got a way longer look than necessary over players who could have actually helped the club in a positive way.

He was actually very effective in his NHL time, even if it was short. He stunk in the AHL, but he looked good in the NHL.

Just can't wait til you start grad school in September so you'll finally have something better to do than to lurk around this board 24/7 spewing relentless
vitriol about all things "Habs" - never mind your creepy obsession with Thomas.
So I say change out of those boxers and white sweat socks, shut off the computer, get outta that basement and enjoy the summer weather. HF Boards will get along just nicely without your bleak commentary.

+1. So boring to read you constantly crapping on the same guy and adding nothing to the discussion except "he sucks"

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Like I said Thomas played like Gallagher but was snakebitten for goals, when they come which they usually do for guys with good work ethics, some people will eat their own words, if I'm wrong, I will be glad to eat mine. Just have the decency to do the same if you are wrong.:popcorn:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He will need to clear waivers to be sent down though, so its unlikely he'll be seeing much AHL time this year.

he would be unlikely to see any time in the AHL next year since he would be picked off waivers.

Probably a 1 year contract for Thomas. Last chance contract. Who cares anyways?

yes, 1 year two way would be my guess.

I understand that it's moot in a way and it's make it or trade for him this year, but what about what it says in Article 13.4 of the CBA for waiver exemptions. As per my other post after reading the CBA agreement ...

"It's quite clear and the way it reads in Article 13.4 of the CBA agreement is that if a player who is 23 or 24 years old and has played less than 60 NHL games, he is exempt from waivers if sent down."

Tinordi is 23 and has only played 48 NHL games, and as well, is in the AHL at the start of the season."

Why does that not apply?

The other thing about this if Tinordi is on the NHL roster vs the AHL roster and accepts his Qualifying Offer for the NHL amount of $850K, and Flynn his for $715K, and Bournival for $715K, and Thomas for $850K (which would add up to $3.1M taken out of $4.9M left without having Galchenyuk yet.) Would the other three all not have to clear waivers as well if sent down?

Added Note: Playoff games count so I have changed his total to 48 to include those playoff games.

It goes off when you sign your ELC, most skaters sign at 20 and get 3 years before they have to go through waivers.

Tinordi, Thomas, Bournival, Flynn, all would have to clear waivers to play in the AHL next year. Dumont, Ellis as well.

And now? AHL player at best. Certainly not something to lose sleep over like some seem to..

he was one of NYR's top scorers on their AHL team, he's never been given a shot in the NHL yet so I don't know if he can play in the NHL or not, guess we'll see where he ends up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad