Confirmed with Link: Gagner and Crombeen traded to Arizona for 2015 6th round pick

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I've thought for a long time Gagner would be best suited on a wing. Is that something you see the Coyotes attempting?

They have options, for sure. As a right-handed shot, Gagner can fit on just about any line as a wing or a center. Knowing he still needs a top six forward, Maloney can look at all available centers and wings and see who fits best and then slot Gagner accordingly. In all likelihood, though, I suspect he's a center who will be sheltered at even strength and given plenty of powerplay time. He's a playmaker but of a different style than Ribeiro, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him setting up on the half boards on the powerplay rather than lining up at center.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
That's fantastic...if he's not working out and cuz his salary is only $3.2m, he could be definitely flipped at the deadline to a team looking for a little more offense or injury replacement.

zLiMbiLLY

Feb 18, 2012
WingF
Some here do really underestimate this guy.
He went #6 in the 2007 draft has potential. Possess agility, great hands, slick shot and is a very smart player. Not to mention his character and maturity that fits perfectly for the Coyotes model.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
It's easy to think he has hit his prime since he has been playing in the league for so long. But he is about the same age as Boeds. Boedker arguably had his first coming out season last year. Maybe Ganger hits his this year and reaches that 50-60 point per year stride. I don't believe he will have a 70+ upside, but hoping he can become a solid 2nd line center.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
5c018e82-7beb-49ab-8002-bcdd3c8ec1fb_500.png

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Gagner's on Marek vs. Wyshynski in 5 minutes or so.

Caught this. Nothing major other than Gagner is happy to be a part of a team that wants him and is competitive. I'm paraphrasing here. He was far more gracious about it than you'd expect from a guy thrown under the bus by a losing organization.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Some here do really underestimate this guy.
He went #6 in the 2007 draft has potential. Possess agility, great hands, slick shot and is a very smart player. Not to mention his character and maturity that fits perfectly for the Coyotes model.

I agree. I was not really a Gagne fan until I did research on him. Since his draft year he has more PPG than Turris, JVR, and Perron with almost the the same as Vorachek. No wonder DM was a little giddy over Gagne's offensive potential.

jp7

Aug 13, 2011
Gagner is going to come back strong next year, having his jaw shattered by the caveman Kassian really ****ed his season. I expect many people to be pleasantly surprised, really like this move for you guys. He was just to much of the same on EDM

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
I agree. I was not really a Gagne fan until I did research on him. Since his draft year he has more PPG than Turris, JVR, and Perron with almost the the same as Vorachek. No wonder DM was a little giddy over Gagne's offensive potential.

Are you referring to Simon Gagne or Sam Gagner?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Nice reflection piece from the Edmonton media here: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/spor...ton+Oilers+Arizona+Coyotes/9987228/story.html

Before we say Sam Gagner didn’t pan out with the Edmonton Oilers, now that he’s been traded to Tampa for Teddy Purcell then quickly off-loaded to Arizona for a 2015 stocking-stuffer draft pick in a cap move, who failed who here?

I think Gagner is a good player that got buried in a **** roster. Remember that the Oilers played without any real structure and were awful at moving the puck around. I expect him to have a nice 40 or 50 point season and his lack of defense (if it even exists) will be sheltered by the system ala Whitney.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Great job Don; fantastic reactivity and creativity there after the Ribeiro issue.

I think Gagner wants to do well and I have the feeling (and hope) that he will do well for the team.

Looking forward to what will come out of Don's hat next

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Look at it this way, folks - if you're still on the fence about this - there's no way on this earth Sam Gagner could possibly be worse than Mike Ribeiro.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Glad to see so many here excited about this - could be the most exciting part about having Gagner on the roster.

He could also prove to offer entertainment against many of the teams in the league, but he's not the answer against our division rivals.

Keep working Don.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Look at it this way, folks - if you're still on the fence about this - there's no way on this earth Sam Gagner could possibly be worse than Mike Ribeiro.

This, as soon as Sam Gagner's skates touch the ice, he'll be giving more effort than Ribeiro.

Obviously Ribeiro has more skill than Gagner, but no one has ever questioned Gagner's level of compete...just his defensive abilities

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Exactly, in fact he's pretty much guaranteed to be better because he won't be a locker room distraction, won't take selfish penalties, cost less money and he doesn't have a no trade clause. While I understand Gagner may or may not thrive here I still don't really see how anyone can't be thrilled with this deal because even the basement is higher much less the ceiling.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Glad to see so many here excited about this - could be the most exciting part about having Gagner on the roster.

He could also prove to offer entertainment against many of the teams in the league, but he's not the answer against our division rivals.

Keep working Don.
Who is?

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site

Keep working Don.

He will have some learning curve the first part, or maybe the entire season.

Gagner is defnitely a smart player with a tonne of hockey sense. But some areas of his game has not developed much over the period at the Oil. He definitely has the raw material to work with, in terms of his anticipation on ice, and his ability to make shrewd decisions split-second. If he would be diligent learning under some of the vets like Vermette and Doan, there isn't really any reason why he couldn't become a much more well rounded player, someone that could be a contributor here for a long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad