Confirmed with Link: Gagner and Crombeen traded to Arizona for 2015 6th round pick

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
BrZ9AglCQAAusM_.jpg

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
It's Gagner. He posted one of them on his twitter feed.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Are you sure, I thought it was Crombeen for a 6th and Gagner was just a throw-in.

The best part was not having to deal with Edmonton.

Also, had they bought out Gagner, they would've had 4 years of cap hit. By retaining, just two years.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Touche' :fence:

Not that I consider you a rival, but I couldn't resist acknowleding such a great point! :)
The reality is the Coyotes are not going to out talent other teams at the forward position this year, even if they had the deepest of pockets it's not really going to happen. So for now it makes sense to try and build a quick and opportunistic team that can play within a system and out work their opponent. Combine that with solid goaltending and what should be one of the better blue lines in the NHL and that is a team that can make some noise again.

In MMA terms you don't stand and punch with a superior striker, you take his ass to the ground where he can't knock you out!

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Glad to see so many here excited about this - could be the most exciting part about having Gagner on the roster.

He could also prove to offer entertainment against many of the teams in the league, but he's not the answer against our division rivals.

Keep working Don.

"Help me Obi Don Maloney. You're my only hope"

(that really was brilliant, GAFP; I'm almost inclined to ask permission to change my handle to it)

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Hey guys- Oilers fan chiming in here. You will really come to love Gagner. He is a leader on and off the ice, and while you may question his size, strength, etc- one thing that has never been questioned is his incredible work ethic and determination. He's still only 24, and has played almost 500 NHL games. There are many reasons he didn't work out in Edmonton-he had 5 coaches in his 7 years. You guys will get a creative offensive, hard working forward who has some consistency issues, isn't good in the Dzone and in faceoffs. I fully expect him to revive his career under Tippet.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Probably one of the best moves by any team this off season.

Usually the off season is teams overpaying guys that kill their salary cap down the road.

The coyotes took a mistake (ribiero) and replaced him with a young center and grinding winger without really giving up anything.

Props to Maloney.

SC2008

Oct 14, 2006
Hey guys- Oilers fan chiming in here. You will really come to love Gagner. He is a leader on and off the ice, and while you may question his size, strength, etc- one thing that has never been questioned is his incredible work ethic and determination. He's still only 24, and has played almost 500 NHL games. There are many reasons he didn't work out in Edmonton-he had 5 coaches in his 7 years. You guys will get a creative offensive, hard working forward who has some consistency issues, isn't good in the Dzone and in faceoffs. I fully expect him to revive his career under Tippet.

Good points. Feel Edm does a terrible job developing talent--that team at the very least should be where the Avs are, competing in the playoffs every year. Yak, Cog, Gags fell through the cracks.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX

I hope you are right. I just love that we got this guy for a 6th round pick and Tampa is retaining 33% of his salary. Highway robbery if he does well here. I can't complain.

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
Good points. Feel Edm does a terrible job developing talent--that team at the very least should be where the Avs are, competing in the playoffs every year. Yak, Cog, Gags fell through the cracks.

Edmonton is one of the worst ran organizations. It's no coincidence to see Andrew Cogliano thriving in a new environment. Sam Gagner will do well. Sure he's not great defensively but he's on a team full of strong defensive forwards, not a team full of small skilled forwards.

Gagner will be counted on his offense and his creativity which is his bread and butter.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
In case anyone missed it...

:handclap:

That's one side of Gagner, here's the other:

If the Coyotes don't let him play centre, they've done well, he'll be a really good 2nd line winger at that cap hit. But he's just plain bad without the puck so he needs to be sheltered from that.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Not to be a dick, but it helps having a system and a coach and a supporting cast that's bought into that coach's system and can execute it effectively.

Gagner alone on an island by himself might struggle defensively, sure. It's not a strength of his. I do have some confidence, however, that his short comings can be offset somewhat by the aforementioned factors.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
That's one side of Gagner, here's the other:

If the Coyotes don't let him play centre, they've done well, he'll be a really good 2nd line winger at that cap hit. But he's just plain bad without the puck so he needs to be sheltered from that.

So its knock on him for trying to play a defensive position because there was none there?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->