Confirmed with Link: Gagner and Crombeen traded to Arizona for 2015 6th round pick

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
At least he made an effort, where was the D?

This is why I take any claim of 'defensive deficiency' coming from Oiler fans with a grain of salt. There's a very real possibility that Sam Gagner is the only guy in position on that entire play because he's a smart player. That's how bad the Oilers are.

At the end of the day, he has to be no worse than Ribeiro. A guy Tippett basically could only play at one end of the ice against weak competition.

I think he'll do just fine.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Plus I've heard Matt Duchene is a decent hockey player

This Matt Duchene?

i2WuY0lmR9j76.gif

10485165524_5878b578d9_o.gif

tumblr_mblf5naLkg1qblv2to4_r1_250.gif

Yeah, he's ok

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Trade Yandle for him. Stat.

No seriously, do it. He's my favorite player in the league.
So I'm guessing you absolutely loathed that pointless winning streak the Coyotes went on at the end of that year, had they not done that Duchene would've been a Coyote. Of course the slide down in draft position caused them to take OEL so can't really complain there.

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
This is why I take any claim of 'defensive deficiency' coming from Oiler fans with a grain of salt. There's a very real possibility that Sam Gagner is the only guy in position on that entire play because he's a smart player. That's how bad the Oilers are.

At the end of the day, he has to be no worse than Ribeiro. A guy Tippett basically could only play at one end of the ice against weak competition.

I think he'll do just fine.

Also keep in mind, his jaw injury was absolutely devastating.

He had to eat out of a tube for several weeks which messed up his conditioning.

I fully expect Gagner to bounce back in PHX. It might take a year for him to get adjusted to Tippet's system.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net

I fully expect Gagner to bounce back in PHX. It might take a year for him to get adjusted to Tippet's system.

I doubt it will take a year to adjust to Coyote Hockey. I can see him being paired with Doan. That would make the transition easy for him.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Gagner's defensive deficiencies are overblown imo. The constant changes between terrible systems certainly hasn't had a positive impact on his game. He went from a solid PKer, who was decent 5 vs 5, to a guy that is often lost in his own end. Playing under Tippet is going to help him drastically

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Gagner's defensive deficiencies are overblown imo. The constant changes between terrible systems certainly hasn't had a positive impact on his game. He went from a solid PKer, who was decent 5 vs 5, to a guy that is often lost in his own end. Playing under Tippet is going to help him drastically

These are the posts I like to see. I'm excited to have him as a Coyote.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated!

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
I think I am the most excited out of all of you to have him ;)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The matter-of-fact way in which McConnell states the following...
Beginning with the buyout of Mike Ribeiro, the Coyotes have spent the last several weeks recalibrating their roster. Highly skilled pro and top six forward Sam Gagner is a major upgrade over Ribeiro.
...irks me a little. It's the "is a major upgrade", rather than "should be an upgrade" or "could be an upgrade", that gets me. Smacks of stoogery. As do most things McConnell.

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=726620&navid=DL|ARI|home

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The matter-of-fact way in which McConnell states the following...

...irks me a little. It's the "is a major upgrade", rather than "should be an upgrade" or "could be an upgrade", that gets me. Smacks of stoogery. As do most things McConnell.

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=726620&navid=DL|ARI|home

If he meant his hockey skills, I wouldn't call it an upgrade at the moment, but if he meant what Gagner brings to the team overall it's a big upgrade. McConnell is a homer, so whatever he says I take with a grain of salt.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
skill wise it's debatable. Ribeiro looks to be the more creative playmaker by a fairly wide margin. That being said from an attitude and willingness to compete perspective we can at least expect Gagner to provide a lot more than what we saw night in and night out from Ribeiro.

There is a belief out there that Gagner just needed a change in scenery and could be a set for a huge breakout year. He won't be under the microscope like he was with the Oilers and we do know Tippett will shelter his minutes to place him in good situations; especially early on to build confidence.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
skill wise it's debatable. Ribeiro looks to be the more creative playmaker by a fairly wide margin. That being said from an attitude and willingness to compete perspective we can at least expect Gagner to provide a lot more than what we saw night in and night out from Ribeiro.

Rib basically checked out after the all-star break, and was on the rock in Jan already.

So Gagner will be somewhere between his 1st half and 2nd half performance, hopefully closer to 1st half of Rib's year.

There is a belief out there that Gagner just needed a change in scenery and could be a set for a huge breakout year. He won't be under the microscope like he was with the Oilers and we do know Tippett will shelter his minutes to place him in good situations; especially early on to build confidence.

Not if Tipp plays him with Mossy and Klinker; even Rib at the top of his game would not be able to carry the load long on a line like that. They need to give him a realistic chance, like having at least one other offensively gifted player on his line.

Maybe GMDM has another magic trick up his sleeve, like this trade, basically get something for nothing. Cause that's what it will take to get the other forward to play either with Hanz or Gagner, in order for us to have 3 half decent lines to put out there.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Not if Tipp plays him with Mossy and Klinker; even Rib at the top of his game would not be able to carry the load long on a line like that. They need to give him a realistic chance, like having at least one other offensively gifted player on his line.

Maybe GMDM has another magic trick up his sleeve, like this trade, basically get something for nothing. Cause that's what it will take to get the other forward to play either with Hanz or Gagner, in order for us to have 3 half decent lines to put out there.

I honestly believe Domi and Lessio will get a great shot to make this team. Lessio could be the speedy winger that complements Gagner really well.

Lessio - Gagner - Perlini could be a fantastic line in a few years.
Domi - Vermette - Boedker is also a pretty good scoring line.
Kulda - Hanzal - Samuelsson Maybe another strong line?

If Perlini and Kulda develop well, this could be our top 9 in 2-3 years. I'd be happy with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad