Confirmed with Link: Gabriel Vilardi signs 3-year ELC

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Any idea what who he is pointing at after the goal?

Looks like the Gulls bench but can't say for sure.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I assumed after his first point of the year, drunk on himself, screaming at Bjornfot or Frk: “Im gonna make you famous, motherf***er.” Or something to that extent. In typical reserved hockey personality fashion.

Headcase to go with the back.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Any idea what who he is pointing at after the goal?

Looks like the Gulls bench but can't say for sure.

Bjornfot made that play happen intercepting the clearing attempt just as the PP was ending. Definitely not directed at the Gulls as far as I could tell (I was seated close to the action on the side the goal was scored). Vilardi was pretty pumped up all game, often waving at the bench like "I got this" and pounding on his chest that he was good to go. He got clobbered a couple of times real good on the boards, and also blocked a shot during the game that was a stinger.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I asked him after the game. He laughed and said he didn't want to get into it but that it was just some chirping going back and forth.

Wow Jessie that's interesting to say the least. Seems like we have a competitor on our hands. I like it. I didn't think him being so animated during the game was between him on the Gulls, but they hit him pretty good a couple times. Seems like he's got some fight.

Reactions: BringTheReign

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
THN has some mentions about Vilardi and Turcotte near the end of this podcast.

The Hockey News Podcast: Prospect Edition (November 28, 2019) - TheHockeyNews

Summary is that the commentator forecasts Turk as a 1C and because of GV’s delayed development as 3C who still has upside to exceed that based on his draft potential.
I realize it’s only one guys opinion but the people who are pretending that Vilardi missing all this development time doesn’t matter are kidding themselves. It’ll be a real bummer if he tops out as a 3c.

Reactions: jfont

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I realize it’s only one guys opinion but the people who are pretending that Vilardi missing all this development time doesn’t matter are kidding themselves. It’ll be a real bummer if he tops out as a 3c.

Based on past performance you could see top line talent. With that said, at this point he is a mystery who has missed some significant time. He in all honesty should have been in the NHL already based on talent but will now have the opportunity to be in a pressure free situation in Onatrio surrounded by other top prospects and likely to be joined by more.. You can clearly see that he's among the best players on the ice in his 3 games, once he breaks through and scores he could possibly go on a tear..

As for his development being derailed.. I beg to differ..
Yes he missed all of last season and parts of the previous two, but how much has he really missed development wise? He was far too dominant for Juniors and now will get his shot in the AHL. If anything, he's been delayed a year from reaching the NHL but it actually might have been the best for him in taht he healed both mentally and physically which he otherwise wouldn't have been able to do before..

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It's unfortunate Vilardi missed some development time, and hopefully he can still be a late bloomer.

Thing is, Vilardi is getting chances and creating opportunities after playing just 5 games last year.

He has every tool, minus skating, to take him to the next level. It's his collection of skill and smarts that will allow him to succeed. Being able to think the game fast is better than being able to skate fast.

I definitely don't see him topping out on the third line, even with the missed time.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Based on past performance you could see top line talent. With that said, at this point he is a mystery who has missed some significant time. He in all honesty should have been in the NHL already based on talent but will now have the opportunity to be in a pressure free situation in Onatrio surrounded by other top prospects and likely to be joined by more.. You can clearly see that he's among the best players on the ice in his 3 games, once he breaks through and scores he could possibly go on a tear..

As for his development being derailed.. I beg to differ..
Yes he missed all of last season and parts of the previous two, but how much has he really missed development wise? He was far too dominant for Juniors and now will get his shot in the AHL. If anything, he's been delayed a year from reaching the NHL but it actually might have been the best for him in taht he healed both mentally and physically which he otherwise wouldn't have been able to do before..

Not trying to pick on you but this is just crazy to me. There's no reason other than denial to pretend that Vilardi is somehow the first prospect in the history of the NHL that "didn't need" to be playing hockey for the better part of two years after he was drafted.

Reactions: BringTheReign

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Obviously playing would have been better. However from what I’ve seen so far he’s legitimately our top prospect and I don’t think his lay off will significantly impact his ceiling. It will hopefully just prove to be no more than a lost year. I think how he does will ultimately be dictated by how well he comes back physically, as opposed to technical development.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Not trying to pick on you but this is just crazy to me. There's no reason other than denial to pretend that Vilardi is somehow the first prospect in the history of the NHL that "didn't need" to be playing hockey for the better part of two years after he was drafted.
Season and a half, but thats not the point im making..
Missed development time tends to affect players with lesser talents more so than those we might consider Elite.. I say this and will use guys across the sports landscape like Josh Hamilton(MLB), Aaron Rodgers(NFL), Joel Embiid(NBA) and obviously Jake Muzzin(NHL) as guys that missed development time for various reasons. Granted, im cherry picking the shit outta this, the fact is talent doesn't just fade away. He might not have the longevity we might have hoped but he can easily be the player most here envisioned.
The kid went from carrying his team to the playoffs in Juniors(add what he played + playoffs and it was a full season) and down right dominating and looking like the best player on the ice on a nightly basis..
The truth is, yes he missed all of last season but it actually might have done more good for his career than him having sucked it up and possibly injuring himself further..

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront

I understand your skepticism. But in the overall scheme of things, GV losing 2 years of development does not make or break his career....yet. It remains to be seen if GV is indeed past the medical condition and can now develop fully or if indeed the time lost resulted in talent lost as well.

Personally I think GV will be a solid 2nd line C and if he slides down to become a 3C on a championship team because Turcotte and our 2020 pick happens to slot in at C ahead of him then so be it. Why worry about these "ceilings" anyway at this time.

What you cant deny is GV playing and developing is a HUGE plus for the Kings. Let's all root for him, eh??

Reactions: ibleedkings

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
If the argument is that it will now take him longer to reach his potential, I can get behind that since he'd be playing in the NHL right now if he was healthy this entire time.

I don't think the missed time caps him as a 3C, however. He's stepped in to the AHL with pretty much no problems even while missing all of this development time.

It's not ideal, of course, but I'm not as worried about the missed time. I'm just worried about his health.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I'm in the minority here, most likely, and I no proof to offer... My feeling is Vilardi will be the 1A C (assuming we don't draft Byfield) and Turcotte will be the 1B C based on skillset and personality. Both have the personality to make it to 1C (which is insanely good for us) but I have a feeling based on each player's game that Vilardi will be the one other teams have to put their top defensive units on while Turcotte will be the one we use to be our top defensive unit. My 'feeling' includes things such as offensive top-end upside, defense and faceoffs.

I feel like Vilardi is the guy I want on the PP, or taking center ice or deep in the other team's zone faceoffs while I trust shorthand and deep in our zone faceoffs to Turcotte.

Then again, if we do draft Byfield, I think that could really help both Vilardi and Turcotte's development (and maybe one other winger's like Kempe's) where Vilardi could be the top line winger/take the faceoff if the center gets booted guy/PP1 C (with Byfield as PP2 C) while Turcotte will get easier assignments on the second line, be the PK1 C.

And with those three in the mix, it will be real fun to see where the other guys slot like Thomas...giving a guy like that a full time role to compete for but on the third line could really allow him to fully get into his role in the league.

I have way too much time to think about this...

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Well, it's obvious that yes, if he'd have been playing the 1 1/2 seasons that he missed he would be in a better position (actually he would be in the NHL right now), but it will be learning to play with a pro pace, building up his conditioning, and playing improved defense during his short time in the AHL. Who was the most skilled forward for the Reign on the ice this last past week as he stepped onto the ice for the very first time this season? Gabriel Vilardi. It's not even close. He has the potential to be that good.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Well, it's obvious that yes, if he'd have been playing the 1 1/2 seasons that he missed he would be in a better position (actually he would be in the NHL right now), but it will be learning to play with a pro pace, building up his conditioning, and playing improved defense during his short time in the AHL. Who was the most skilled forward for the Reign on the ice this last past week as he stepped onto the ice for the very first time this season? Gabriel Vilardi. It's not even close. He has the potential to be that good.

It was clear the moment he stepped out there that he was on another level even with like no games played in a year and a half and as essentially a first-year pro. His mind for the game and his vision is unbelievable and his skills, even with rust, are a LARGE order of magnitude over anyone in Ontario or the other teams they've played. It's honestly been shocking he's been kept off the goals so far. When it starts raining, though, it's gonna flood. He will get at LEAST a cup in the NHL by the end of the season if he holds up. And then he's never going back down.

Reactions: Statto and regulate

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
It's unfortunate Vilardi missed some development time, and hopefully he can still be a late bloomer.

Thing is, Vilardi is getting chances and creating opportunities after playing just 5 games last year.

He has every tool, minus skating, to take him to the next level. It's his collection of skill and smarts that will allow him to succeed. Being able to think the game fast is better than being able to skate fast.

I definitely don't see him topping out on the third line, even with the missed time.

His 2 games in the AHL seem like a snapshot of Carter's season so far

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad