Gaborik vs Nash

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Everyone has outscored Nash, the guy has had 2 playoff runs and has scored 3 goals. What the **** does this have to do with anything. Come on man, Let it go. We have Nash and we're a win away from the Stanley Cup Finals.

Agree. We are at the point where its pretty worthless to bash individual players.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Agree. We are at the point where its pretty worthless to bash individual players.

I get the negativity around here usually, but I came here to get pumped about tonight's game, and the only threads other than the GDT with discussions in them have the narratives:

"The St. Louis trade still sucks"
and
"Gaborik is better than Nash"

What in the world is wrong with people that they can't let themselves enjoy a moment and be happy? These are things to discuss a month from now.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I get the negativity around here usually, but I came here to get pumped about tonight's game, and the only threads other than the GDT with discussions in them have the narratives:

"The St. Louis trade still sucks"
and
"Gaborik is better than Nash"

What in the world is wrong with people that they can't let themselves enjoy a moment and be happy? These are things to discuss a month from now.

Even I will wait until mid-late June to complain again.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Gabby is playing really hot right now. Player for player right now I think it's an easy choice. If you want to go into philosophical questions about both players either one can be hit or miss overall.

Considering we have a pretty solid defense I think I'd take Gabbys offense right now even if he lacks in back checking and defensive plays. Nash has been helpful on D but we really need more scoring out of him. Nash scoring more right now would lighten the load on a lot of players on the team.

Henrik4Hart

Mar 19, 2007
The narrative around here was he wasn't a Torts guy, soft player ...

You forget he playing with a bum shoulder in the playoffs and was still criticized left and right

Cake or Death

Gaborik has had a better career than Nash. Gaborik has always been a low Maintenace goal scorer who has elite level touch around the net. He's been an elite goal scorer for three different franchises.

In 2003 in the Dead Puck era he had 9 goals and 17 points on a Minnesota team. Was Kopitar his center then?

Citing career stats and playoff stats from 11 years ago? What does any of that have to do with now? Gaborik also missed half the season and in his healthy half scored 11 goals. Look, I like the guy, but he's a potential injury disaster and on another team. My support is with the guys here now, the players who gave us all the thrill of watching their hard work culminate in them being one game from a Cup final appearance.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The real Nash vs. Gaborik debate can fly off into all sorts of tangents.

One of the more important ones is that without trading Gaborik, this team doesn't have Brassard, who has proven to be one of the better big game players for the Rangers in the last 2 post seasons.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
If we were getting the Gaborik that is currently playing in LA, I would say yes. But I have my doubts that he would able to replicate his success here. He is thriving with his linemates and perhaps even more important, he has really bought into Sutter's mantra that rebounds, screens, and tip-ins are the best way to score goals.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
The real Nash vs. Gaborik debate can fly off into all sorts of tangents.

One of the more important ones is that without trading Gaborik, this team doesn't have Brassard, who has proven to be one of the better big game players for the Rangers in the last 2 post seasons.

Bolded for emphasis.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
What about Nash's 10 GWGs and 26 regular season goals that got us into the playoffs? How do you know we even make it let alone play Philly with home ice in Round 1 without Nash?

The Nash hate/Gaboriks love is so ****ing insane. Gaborik scored goals here, every other year. He scored them and he was a damn good goal scorer. But he didn't do **** for us in the playoffs. I don't care what he's doing in LA, because that is not indicative of what he'd be doing if he was a New York Ranger. It's apples and ****ing oranges. Root for your team and the players on it, we're one ****ing win from the Stanley Cup Finals. JFC.

The question is who is the better player. Gaborik is the better player.

They were two wins from the SCF with an injured Gaborik and no support scoring.

Nobody's hating Nash. He is just underperforming. Gaborik isnt.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Will you still be lamenting this if the Rangers win a cup with Nash?

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL

Gaborik missed half the year.

So you're saying putting Nash with Brown and Kopitar and Gaborik with Kreider and Stepan and it would be the same, 10 goals for Gabs and 2 for Nash?

This is just a stupid comparison to make when Nash is a New York Ranger and we are a win away from reaching the Stanley Cup Finals.

If we do, and we play LA, and I have to constantly read posts and threads comparing the two, I will avoid this site like the goddamned plague. It's focusing your thoughts on the wrong things.

Where our thoughts should be right now: is Stepan gonna play? Is Hank going to keep thriving? Will Nash pick it up again? Can Brass stay healthy? Will Poo stop taking dumb offensive zone penalties? How about Hagelin raising his level of play? The refs...etc. etc. etc. Not "oh man, Gaborik is far superior to Nash, I wish we had Gaborik." You all are deliberately choosing to focus on something irrelevant to the moment at hand, which is a beautiful moment, and instead you are focusing on a debate that has no objective answer. It's pointless. 90% of Rangers fans hated Gaborik while he was here. Maybe not on this board, I didn't post much back then and probably just lurked. But that I know. I called him Maid Marian because he was so soft. He disappeared for weeks on end. I'm not going to assume that if he was a Ranger he would have 10 goals for us in the playoffs. And frankly, I don't care. The team is fine as is, and is a win away from representing the Eastern Conference in the Stanley Cup Finals.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
It's a hypothetical question - I'd rather have Gaborik than Nash.

I've been a Nash defender all season, as I was a huge proponent of the Gaborik trade for several reasons.

In a make-believe world where you can trade before the SCF, I would replace a healthy underperforming Nash with several years of 7.8 with a dominant healthy Gaborik pending UFA.

Gaborik is having an outstanding postseason. The Rangers are as well. Nash has had a minor role in that, albeit still a role.

Being one win from the SCF does not make Nash's obvious issues disappear.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
It's a hypothetical question - I'd rather have Gaborik than Nash.

I've been a Nash defender all season, as I was a huge proponent of the Gaborik trade for several reasons.

In a make-believe world where you can trade before the SCF, I would replace a healthy underperforming Nash with several years of 7.8 with a dominant healthy Gaborik pending UFA.

Gaborik is having an outstanding postseason. The Rangers are as well. Nash has had a minor role in that, albeit still a role.

Being one win from the SCF does not make Nash's obvious issues disappear.

No, but it makes discussing them ad nauseam ridiculous and unnecessary. Gaborik's magical run in the playoffs does not change the fact that he didn't do **** for us in the playoffs (with or without injury) and that if we had him instead of Nash, we may have missed the playoffs this year.

AHB*

Did Gaborik get traded for Nash, no.

Gaborik is one of my favorite Rangers, being only 24. I cried when he was traded. That being said, I highly doubt we are anywhere near the SCF without Brassard, DD and Moore.

Please remember also, Gaborik is playing with Anze Kopitar. Arguably a top 3 center in the NHL.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Gaborik missed half the year.

So you're saying putting Nash with Brown and Kopitar and Gaborik with Kreider and Stepan and it would be the same, 10 goals for Gabs and 2 for Nash?

This is just a stupid comparison to make when Nash is a New York Ranger and we are a win away from reaching the Stanley Cup Finals.

If we do, and we play LA, and I have to constantly read posts and threads comparing the two, I will avoid this site like the goddamned plague. It's focusing your thoughts on the wrong things.

Where our thoughts should be right now: is Stepan gonna play? Is Hank going to keep thriving? Will Nash pick it up again? Can Brass stay healthy? Will Poo stop taking dumb offensive zone penalties? How about Hagelin raising his level of play? The refs...etc. etc. etc. Not "oh man, Gaborik is far superior to Nash, I wish we had Gaborik." You all are deliberately choosing to focus on something irrelevant to the moment at hand, which is a beautiful moment, and instead you are focusing on a debate that has no objective answer. It's pointless. 90% of Rangers fans hated Gaborik while he was here. Maybe not on this board, I didn't post much back then and probably just lurked. But that I know. I called him Maid Marian because he was so soft. He disappeared for weeks on end. I'm not going to assume that if he was a Ranger he would have 10 goals for us in the playoffs. And frankly, I don't care. The team is fine as is, and is a win away from representing the Eastern Conference in the Stanley Cup Finals.

It's a message board with multiple options for discussion.

Please feel free to avoid the ones that obviously upset you.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
No, but it makes discussing them ad nauseam ridiculous and unnecessary. Gaborik's magical run in the playoffs does not change the fact that he didn't do **** for us in the playoffs (with or without injury) and that if we had him instead of Nash, we may have missed the playoffs this year.

"Ad nauseum"?

First time I've ever brought up that I'd rather have Gaborik than Nash, and I think my reasons are warranted.

tjs252

Feb 10, 2007
Ignoring the who's, what's and how's of the team's construction with Nash or without Nash or with Gaborik, it's clear that Gaborik is the superior player when attempting to play at a high level. Nash's game (or preferred way to play) doesn't lend itself well to the playoffs.

Nash has more size, both have durability issues and streak issues, but to me, Gaborik is far superior at what he does.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
You'll always find examples of this happening in any cup run.

For me, the ends justify the means.

Still one round and change left.

Nash's critical goal in Game 2 won't be forgotten, and he's definitely a piece to the puzzle.

It's the bulk of the postseason that has me concerned -- long term.

Based on the post-97 Rangers, every fan has a right to be concerned that Nash may end up doing more harm than good.

The MSL trade? Perfect example of a trade well worth the cost. But Nash's two unproductive postseasons makes me wonder if good regular seasons is enough to justify the cost of that trade.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
"Ad nauseum"?

First time I've ever brought up that I'd rather have Gaborik than Nash, and I think my reasons are warranted.

Yes, ad nauseam referring to other posters as well, collectively, as a unit. Not you in particular, I should have been more clear.

And yes, I can choose to read any thread I want. And I'm going to choose to get the hell off these boards because y'all are negative as ****, and we're a win away from the Cup Finals. I'll stick to the GDT and discuss what's happening and let you worry about losing Gaborik and having Nash.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Nash has earned a vicious stigma - star player who doesn't raise his game as the stakes get higher.

People can say all they want about the 2-3 good defensive plays he makes a game, and I am happy for that, but I've watched Gaborik every game this postseason and he plays with 10000x more passion and effort than Nash, and the results show.

Almost all his goals are from the crease to the slot. Kopitar or no Kopitar, it shows you a player who's willing to take a beating for his team.

I wish I can say the same about Nash, who is always on the periphery. If the concussions are the reasons why, then he needs to reinvent himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad