Gaborik vs Nash

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
This to a T. As much as I wanted Gabs here, we don't get a very wonderful Centermen, an enforcer who plays with heart, and a stud #4-6 Defenseman at the young age of 22.

I'm not the biggest fan of Nash, but the assets that we sent, when compared against the assets we received after sending gabs away, we did much better than I expected. The trade basically ended up being:

Gabs for Nash
Dubi for Brass
Erixon for Moore
1st for Dorsett (looks bad, but he's bled blue the entire time he's played here. He's effective in his role, and loves it here)

Quite frankly, just the chemistry on the 3rd line (Poo-Brass-Zucc) makes me love this trade even more, even though I am not that into Nash as a player.

What I do respect is Nash attempting to perfect his 2-way game. It makes for a very effective all-around player. I'm praying the goal scoring comes around sooner rather than later

And Anisimov for free?

KingStian

Jan 8, 2011
Loved Gabs as a Ranger. Guy did what he was supposed to, he scored goals. One of the few "superstars" who came to NY and actually produced.

Nash needs to get back to his driving to the net game and away from the weak wristers.

Gabby had a real tendency to disappear at times. When he was on he was great, but there were a lot of times he might as well have sold hot dogs in the stands. There were a reason he was traded away, and overall I think we became a better team because of it.

Of course, if we could have Gabby back without giving up the assets we gained from the trade, I would have loved that. But without that trade we don't have our best line all year long, and we are now a single ****ing win away from playing for The Stanley Cup.

Gaborik brought us Brassard, John Moore, Dorsett

Nash then came on in a separate move.

Its clear that if we dont trade Gaborik we are not in this position we are in right now

Why did you steal what I was going to write several hours before I saw this thread? :laugh:

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
Gaborik has Brown and KOPITAR on his line, two excellent players who will create tons of space for him. He's just a perfect fit on this line.

Our Kreider-Stepan-Nash line on the other hand looks dysfunctional at times. If all three are on, they can tango with the best of them. If one of them isn't at his best, they'll hardly create anything. I don't know what it is, but chemistry wise something is off. Kreider-Stepan works just fine. Stepan-Nash works just fine. Stepan finds them with his passes, knows how to utilize their strengths. Nash-Kreider works just fine. Their size and skill create room for each other. Inexplicably Kreider-Stepan-Nash appears to be out of sync quite often.

Cake or Death

I'll take the roster we have right now - the one that is one win away from the Stanley Cup Finals. I like Gaborik and greatly appreciate what he did for the team. I'm glad Gaborik is having a good playoffs, but he's paired with, in my mind, the best two way center in the NHL. Nash is not. While Kopitar is certainly a huge bonus for Gaborik, it does not magically change the fact that Gaborik is 32, oft injured, and scored 11 goals this season at a $7.5 mil cap hit. My biggest concern with Gaborik is he's an injury waiting to happen, a guy who missed 41 games this season. And one good playoff run with one of the better playmaking centers in the league isn't going to change my worry on Gaborik's inability to stay healthy.

The Lone Ranger

Dec 10, 2011
I'm not the biggest fan of Nash, but the assets that we sent, when compared against the assets we received after sending gabs away, we did much better than I expected. The trade basically ended up being:

Gabs for Nash
Dubi for Brass
Erixon for Moore
Anisimov for Dorsett (a bit unbalanced but you get my point)
1st Round Pick

Looked at it that way, I actually think the team misses Dubi more than Gabby. The latter was streaky, one dimensional, and was little more than a warm body on the ice when he was in a scoring rut. Dubi was able to contribute in many important ways, even during spells when he couldn't a pot a goal to save his life. Ferocious fore-checking, tenacious grinding on the boards, and not shy about mixing-it-up with anyone to defend a teammate. If I could get any of those departed players back from the '11-12 team, I'll take Dubi over Gabby any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Missed his diving poke check after coming the length of the ice last night eh? Or a number of other good defensive plays he's made this post season.

Nash has been good defensively all year. People just hate him and refuse to recognize him as anything other than a lazy floater.

When most scorers are in slumps they completely disappear or they hurt their team. Nash is contributing off the score sheet. You have to at least give him credit for that.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
Nash has been good defensively all year. People just hate him and refuse to recognize him as anything other than a lazy floater.

When most scorers are in slumps they completely disappear or they hurt their team. Nash is contributing off the score sheet. You have to at least give him credit for that.

I'm far from being a Nash fan but I can get behind this statement 100%.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Gaborik has Brown and KOPITAR on his line, two excellent players who will create tons of space for him. He's just a perfect fit on this line.

Our Kreider-Stepan-Nash line on the other hand looks dysfunctional at times. If all three are on, they can tango with the best of them. If one of them isn't at his best, they'll hardly create anything. I don't know what it is, but chemistry wise something is off. Kreider-Stepan works just fine. Stepan-Nash works just fine. Stepan finds them with his passes, knows how to utilize their strengths. Nash-Kreider works just fine. Their size and skill create room for each other. Inexplicably Kreider-Stepan-Nash appears to be out of sync quite often.

Brown is not an excellent player.

The idea Gaborik is a product of linemates is beyond absurd.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Missed his diving poke check after coming the length of the ice last night eh? Or a number of other good defensive plays he's made this post season.

Nash made a great pass on the MSL breakaway. He's been good but isn't scoring.

Gaborik played an entire postseason in 2012 with a shredded shoulder. Nash as far as we know is healthy.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I like both, but I have to go with Nash.

Gabby is completely marginalized when put in many situations. He games then boils down to him taking a puck along the boards and skating up against a collected D firing a puck that either is blocked or pretty easy to save. Then his line looses the puck and will have to work real hard to get it back just to be able to pull of one of those low percentage shots again.

Nash opens up a lot more space in those situations. Pushes the other team back more. He is more of a force along the boards, can take the puck from the corners infront of the net. Etc.

Undoubtedly, a line with Kreids-Step-Gabby is a lot weaker than a Kreids-Step-Nash line. I am fairly certain that we wouldn't be playing now with a Kreids-Step-Gabby line. Our top line have faced the toughest match-ups, and won a lot of momentum for us or kept it close. A Kreids-Step-Gabby line would play a lot of hockey without the puck, and you don't want that against the best lines of Philly, Pitt and even MTL.

GWOW, hockey is a team game. You will learn with time that -- any -- players production in hockey is a product of his linemates, teammates whatever. So I would say that its the complete opposite. And as regards any player, stating the opposite is absurd. Not just in relation to Gabby.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
Brown is not an excellent player.

Re-read. I didn't say that. I just stated he's a good fit for that line. Two guys who play big and will draw a lot of attention by the defending team.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
I posted in another thread that I wish we went after Jeff Carter instead of Rick Nash, but I think I rather have Gaborik as well.

If Nash could produce like Gaborik did when he was here the Rangers would be a juggernaut.

Regardless of what happens over the next few weeks its imperative that Sather gets Nash off this team.

Why would you post this now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Why exactly is it imperative that Sather gets Nash off this team? Yes, he hadn't been as productive in the playoffs as Ranger fans would have hoped. But, he is part of the reason the Rangers are currently in the spot they are in. He adds balance, and AV can put anyone of his top three lines and have of them get to face the 3rd pairing. When that top line faces the best D pairing, it allows one of the other two lines a weaker matchup. Who is replacing his regular season production? Thomas Vanek? Matt Moulson?

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
This team is 1 win away from playing for the Stanley Cup and this is the kind of stuff that gets posted. It boggles my mind. Honestly, enjoy a ****ing moment.

Nash Money

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2012
Aside from the more complete player argument, which I agree with, I think we should acknowledge that Nash has led our team in goals both years he's been here (despite missing some time), and has outscored Gabby by about 25 pts since coming over.

Would it be nice if Nash led the playoffs in goals? Of course. But we have very short memories...

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Let's not make Nash out to be Steve Kaspar. He's backchecking. The whole team is backchecking.

If you could rank skaters 1-18 in terms of overall contributions to this teams deep postseason run, Nash would rank near the bottom with the likes of Dorsett, John Moore, Pouliot and Dominic Moore.

That's not a bad thing, but let's not make Nash out to be some big time contributor. He's a role player, not an offensive threat and not a guy you can count on to provide offense.

I have a hard time believing this exact roster with a Nash/Gaborik swap would not be where they are today.

Depth, defense and goaltending - Nash has a very small role in this current teams postseason success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad