TSN: Gaborik, Delisle, Parlett to CBJ for Brassard, Dorsett, Moore and 6th Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Meh, I'd trade CBJ Brassard for CBJ Gaborik, Erixon for Moore, and Anisimov + Dubinsky + 1st for Nash. The only piece we lose is Dorsett but honestly you guys know I always hated him. And I'm not just saying that because he got traded. His penalties and yapping really got on my nerves and I hate players that are rats like him and Marchand.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Meh, I'd trade CBJ Brassard for CBJ Gaborik, Erixon for Moore, and Anisimov + Dubinsky + 1st for Nash. The only piece we lose is Dorsett but honestly you guys know I always hated him. And I'm not just saying that because he got traded. His penalties and yapping really got on my nerves and I hate players that are rats like him and Marchand.

You have me a little confused with "I'd trade brass for gabby, erixon for moore, etc.. " It seems from the tone of your statement that you prefer all the players who are currently Jackets, correct?

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
Gabby's release ain't what it used to be. Its just damn hard to score 40 without it. I'd be more surprised if Gaborik scored 40 goals than if Brassard hit 70 points.

Gaboriks release is just fine. That old argument has been floating around since he first joined the Rangers. Every time he's been on a drought speculations like that occurs. I would say he was mentally washed up this season. He was used 95% on the LW which he clearly didn't like and didn't adjust to very well. And his relation to Torts obviously wasn't the best.I still don't think swapping the 3rd best scorer in the league from the position he's been playing his whole career makes sense.

And for the time he was still a Ranger, we had the bottom 2 PP in the leauge, which also influenced his stats.

Gaborik doesn't need super skilled line mates to score, scored +40 goals with Prospal and Erik Christensen(!), but he need good brake out passes since his speed is one of his greatest assets. Add a good/decent PP and I could easily see him scoring +40 goals again. Best of luck!

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
........funny you mention that ;)

I was just coming by because I'm curious. This is a guy who we heard was talented but he didn't have much fanfare and his totals were modest.

I don't know if he's just really hot, but this guy is un****ingbelievable.

Since you guys knew him longer than we do, are you surprised he's been this good, or has he always had untapped potential?

He's capable of being good.

He's also capable of being pretty bad.

That's the problem.

Enjoy the good times.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
You have me a little confused with "I'd trade brass for gabby, erixon for moore, etc.. " It seems from the tone of your statement that you prefer all the players who are currently Jackets, correct?

That is correct. Here, Brassard was a 40 point player and Moore was surpassed by Erixon.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
Gaborik's changed as a player. His shot's declined, as has his speed. The thing is, that's how he scored 40 his first year with the Rangers. Last year, you saw a few snipes or breakaways, but he honestly scored most of his goals as a garbage guy. He probably is top 5 in the league in terms of goal mouth instincts.

I fully expect him to rebound next year, but a lot of that depends on how willing he is to go to the dirty areas. His top speed is still good, but his first few steps aren't nearly as good as they used to be and his wrister has lost a lot of its snap. He's been through a lot of injuries and he's no spring chicken. His success from now on depends on whether he can adjust to not using his physical gifts (he did last year).

It's quite frustrating actually to watch someone like Nash now because if he had Gaborik's current speed and shot, he'd be Ovechkin with a better wrister (no slapper of course to speak of - Nash's shot is pretty average and he has absolutely no slap shot. Gaborik's is better, but not by much). Watching Gaborik's release spoils ya a little bit.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Gaborik's changed as a player. His shot's declined, as has his speed. The thing is, that's how he scored 40 his first year with the Rangers. Last year, you saw a few snipes or breakaways, but he honestly scored most of his goals as a garbage guy. He probably is top 5 in the league in terms of goal mouth instincts.

I fully expect him to rebound next year, but a lot of that depends on how willing he is to go to the dirty areas. His top speed is still good, but his first few steps aren't nearly as good as they used to be and his wrister has lost a lot of its snap. He's been through a lot of injuries and he's no spring chicken. His success from now on depends on whether he can adjust to not using his physical gifts (he did last year).

It's quite frustrating actually to watch someone like Nash now because if he had Gaborik's current speed and shot, he'd be Ovechkin with a better wrister (no slapper of course to speak of - Nash's shot is pretty average and he has absolutely no slap shot. Gaborik's is better, but not by much). Watching Gaborik's release spoils ya a little bit.

Gaborik had quite a few break aways with the jackets, maybe it was the system he was playing in, or possibly the fact that he was not fully healthy, as he just had surgery about a week ago, and maybe his injury gor progressively worse. I gotta say that even if you gave nash, Gaboriks speed, unless he has changed, he would still lack the heart and drive needed to be compared to Ovie. When Nash was in columbus, there were games where he looked dominant, a beast, then other games where he seemed to be loafing, and was merely average. Maybe thats changed since he left our orginization.

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
I disagree with the thoughts on Moore. I don't believe for one second Moore was passed up, he got hurt nothing more. I still think we gave up Murray's futuer top pairing partner, and I don't really care much for the piece we got back, but it is what it is, and there is no going back now.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Gaborik had quite a few break aways with the jackets, maybe it was the system he was playing in, or possibly the fact that he was not fully healthy, as he just had surgery about a week ago, and maybe his injury gor progressively worse. I gotta say that even if you gave nash, Gaboriks speed, unless he has changed, he would still lack the heart and drive needed to be compared to Ovie. When Nash was in columbus, there were games where he looked dominant, a beast, then other games where he seemed to be loafing, and was merely average. Maybe thats changed since he left our orginization.

Haha after last night's effort (highlighted in the Around the NHL thread), which has become more and more indicative of Ovechkin's game.

On-topic -- Crede said it best. The Gaborik we saw in a CBJ uniform I'll take every day over the Brassard we saw in a CBJ uniform.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
I couldn't help but laugh when I read some Rangers' jocksniffer post that the Gaborik trade reminded him of the Yashin trade. That joker actually thinks that John Moore will turn out as good as Zdeno Chara and Derick Friggin' Brassard will turn out as good as Jason Spezza.

Really.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I disagree with the thoughts on Moore. I don't believe for one second Moore was passed up, he got hurt nothing more. I still think we gave up Murray's futuer top pairing partner, and I don't really care much for the piece we got back, but it is what it is, and there is no going back now.

It gave guys like Erixon and Prout a shot and they did player better than Moore did. Regardless of ceiling I think you were only partially accurate. I'm not sure if Moore is going to peak as a 1/2, even with his improved play I haven't seen a 25 minute a guy yet. But, of course, time will tell.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I couldn't help but laugh when I read some Rangers' jocksniffer post that the Gaborik trade reminded him of the Yashin trade. That joker actually thinks that John Moore will turn out as good as Zdeno Chara and Derick Friggin' Brassard will turn out as good as Jason Spezza.

Really.

As Jackets fans, we've learned the dangers of small sample size. The comparisons are shocking on only lead to unrealistic expectations that then lead to whipping boys. In New York, being a whipping boy is different than a whipping boy in Columbus. Brassard has been a bit fragile, mentally, in the past. He's on right now, we have to see what happens when his is slumping. He has had a tendency to spiral into oblivion. But Spezza and Chara? Wow. Brassard will probably never take 200 shots on goal in order to get close to 30 goals. I could certainly see him racking up some assists. Won't even say anything about Chara. There is only one Chara. Luckily for the Jackets he's 36 and might only have 8 more dominant years left in him... :p

These 70 points numbers that they throw out for Brassard just don't resonate with me. 40 assists is probably about right, so maybe a 20/40 guy. But then again that is what I've been hoping for, for years now.

The one I worry about a bit is Dorse. I actually like him and I have no idea how he is going to be treated by the coaching staff over there. Columbus groomed him and was extremely patient with him.

Last edited:

NYRCSKA*

Honestly, I don't think there was a winner or loser in this trade. Brassard needed a change of scenery as did Gaborik. Gaborik was not going to achieve well again in a Rangers uniform. That being said, Moore has been absolutely phenomenal though. Small sample size, but I can never tell if it's Moore or McTruck out there.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Let's just be candid for a minute. Brassard and Dorsett are gone because they were among the last of the old guard - the culture of losing we've been so desperate to get rid of. Brassard was rumored for his lack of hard work and sacrifice. Dorsett for his stupid plays and penalties at the worst times. Moore doesn't fit this narrative. He was simply expendable because of the emergence of Erixon and Prout - along with the drafting of Murray.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Let's just be candid for a minute. Brassard and Dorsett are gone because they were among the last of the old guard - the culture of losing we've been so desperate to get rid of. Brassard was rumored for his lack of hard work and sacrifice. Dorsett for his stupid plays and penalties at the worst times. Moore doesn't fit this narrative. He was simply expendable because of the emergence of Erixon and Prout - along with the drafting of Murray.

That no more "candid" than any of the other ideas proposed for why the trade may have been made. We'll probably never know if any of that was a factor.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Gaborik doesn't need super skilled line mates to score, scored +40 goals with Prospal and Erik Christensen(!), but he need good break out passes since his speed is one of his greatest assets. Add a good/decent PP and I could easily see him scoring +40 goals again. Best of luck!

This is what Ryan Murray is known for. I cant wait to see him connect tape to tape to Gabs for a snipshow.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Isn't this what trades are supposed to do? Help both teams? I think the trade did that.

I look for Gabby to turn it back on next season, and would expect Brass, Moore, and Dorse to continue to pitch in to help the Rags.

candyman82

Mar 29, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA

Maybe. We'll see if Tyutin, Umberger, and Boll stay.

Timeless Winter

SaveD the Crew
Oct 13, 2006
Cleveland, Ohio
Questionable trade. I don't miss Brassard at all, or Dorsett. Only issue for me is that Gaborik is invisible most games. Plus there's the fear that his lack of work ethic will start to effect the rest of the team that played hard every minute of every game.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Questionable trade. I don't miss Brassard at all, or Dorsett. Only issue for me is that Gaborik is invisible most games. Plus there's the fear that his lack of work ethic will start to effect the rest of the team that played hard every minute of every game.

its a little early to say that. Who knows how long he was playing injured. When you're playing injured its not possible to give it 100% all the time, off and on the ice. From everything I've heard everything should be okay. But we wont really know until we see him on the ice so. Between him potentially being at 100% and Murray being in the lineup and at 100% I think we'll see a little bit more of an offensive team next season. Cam, Matty, Johansen, Prout, and Murray are all poised and have the potential to have a breakout season next year.

Hipster Letestu

Aug 2, 2009
Westerville

I never once saw top-pairing potential in John Moore. He could skate, but lacked offensive skill and defensively he was solid, but nothing more. He could always develop further but the player we traded was a 4-6 defenseman.

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
I never once saw top-pairing potential in John Moore. He could skate, but lacked offensive skill and defensively he was solid, but nothing more. He could always develop further but the player we traded was a 4-6 defenseman.

I disagree. I saw a guy who was poised with the puck, was solid defensively, and didn't have a clue yet how to play in the offensive zone. He was a great passer, and it's not like he isn't going to continue to develop. I have very little doubt that we gave up a future #2 defender.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I realize a Ranger fan brought this trade up again but the reality is it looks like a good move for both teams. Same as it did at the deadline in my opinion. Moore is a 2nd pair guy who probably gets minutes like Tyutin (but a better skater), Dorsett probably gets benched again next year by Torts because of stupid penalties (See Boyle) and if Brass plays higher in the Rangers lineup he'll be in trouble. He's getting really good 3rd line matchups and with his vision and skill he's a benefit there. He's also a very, very good PP guy. Has the skill, just not the complete game. maybe he gets it in NY. We really didn't see it for any extended period here and if Scott "pile on" Arniel benches him what will Torts do?

Gaborik needs to be a 30 goal guy next year or better and create the mismatches for lower in the CBJ lineup. He may not get the points but if he gets any respect, it makes the rest of the team better. If could be another very good year next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad