TSN: Gaborik, Delisle, Parlett to CBJ for Brassard, Dorsett, Moore and 6th Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Well, it gets harder every year when you're in your 30s. Especially with Gabby's injury history. Speed hasn't been the same for few years, hopefully it just won't get worse with his latest injury.

Thanks for the insight on aging. I wonder if he's starting to experience prostate issues.

Speed related to maintenance on the mesh of a sports hernia? Oh boy. Watching Gaborik, he's as fast as anyone on this team and still has plenty of breakaway speed. Still elite level speed when he turns it on.

I've seen 31-35 year olds do amazing things at the level of 20 somethings, including a sub 2:20-2:30 Fran.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Really cant wait to see what all you guys have to say bout Brassard when he's puttin up 60-70pts a year in a few years

We'll all be happy he's found his game and laugh at the Rangers picking in the top 10 of the draft because Brassard is playing too high up in the lineup. You know what they say about people with glass houses?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
We'll all be happy he's found his game and laugh at the Rangers picking in the top 10 of the draft because Brassard is playing too high up in the lineup. You know what they say about people with glass houses?

It's hard to properly insulate your house and you have almost no privacy?

Interesting point on Brassard, although I think he can score 60 points and still play on their second line which wouldn't be inappropriate.

A friend I are were talking and we kind of agreed that in the East, this year, the Jackets would probably be the 3 seed. I've been watching some poor playoff hockey in the East. Next season will be interesting on many levels.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
All-in-all I don't think there is a winner. Both teams achieved what they wanted to and it is working out for both teams. Columbus turned things around quickly this year and got valuable experience for a lot of young players. The Rangers were able to re-tool their team to set themselves up to compete for a while.

This seems so clear, why is it so hard for some to accept?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Thanks for the insight on aging. I wonder if he's starting to experience prostate issues.

None taken and could be possible.

Speed related to maintenance on the mesh of a sports hernia? Oh boy. Watching Gaborik, he's as fast as anyone on this team and still has plenty of breakaway speed. Still elite level speed when he turns it on.

No one else is going to score 40 either.

Speed is elite, maybe but those first few steps aren't the same they were some years ago.

I'm not as worried about that as I'm about his shot. It was much worse this year. Might have lot to do with his rotator cuff injury. Maybe it bounces back with this long offseason, that's the hope.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

I've seen 31-35 year olds do amazing things at the level of 20 somethings, including a sub 2:20-2:30 Fran.

Gabby's release ain't what it used to be. Its just damn hard to score 40 without it. I'd be more surprised if Gaborik scored 40 goals than if Brassard hit 70 points.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
This seems so clear, why is it so hard for some to accept?

I haven't seen anyone argue against the idea of the trades with the Rangers, taken all together, being generally good for the Jackets, if not both teams.

This debate started, BTW, with me or some others expressing their disapproval with the Gaborik trade, and then others replied that "the trades collectively were good, why is it hard for you to accept that?" It seems like an unrelated point to me.

Or are you saying "why is it hard for" those looking for a "winner" to accept that trades don't have to have winners?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I'm not as worried about that as I'm about his shot. It was much worse this year. Might have lot to do with his rotator cuff injury. Maybe it bounces back with this long offseason, that's the hope.

I would expect that he is mostly recovered from that surgery and that he shoulder strength and flexibility are almost back to normal. But, yes, I have little doubt that he wasn't at 100% this season.

I guess people are seeing things that I'm not. I remember Gaborik from the Wild days and I'm just not see the decline in the first few steps. At least to the level people are making it out to be. Certainly not enough to make him any less dangerous on the rush than he used to be. I'm seeing him leave quick player 5 or 6 years his junior, when he decides to. He can still get separation in the offensive zone if he gets some open ice.

His stamina will be starting it's inevitable decline now, but the gap from 25 to 31 isn't as dramatic as people make it out to be if they train properly. He's had his injury issues and I expect those to continue.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I haven't seen anyone argue against the idea of the trades with the Rangers, taken all together, being generally good for the Jackets, if not both teams.

This debate started, BTW, with me or some others expressing their disapproval with the Gaborik trade, and then others replied that "the trades collectively were good, why is it hard for you to accept that?" It seems like an unrelated point to me.

So you're saying no one has contended that the Gaborik trade, all by itself, was good for the Jackets, or at the very least a win-win? Because if that's the case, I think I'm reading a different thread.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
So you're saying no one has contended that the Gaborik trade, all by itself, was good for the Jackets, or at the very least a win-win? Because if that's the case, I think I'm reading a different thread.

No some have. I didn't mean to imply that no one was making the case that the Gaborik trade was good all by itself, I just thought it was odd that many preferred to talk about the trades collectively.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Gabby's release ain't what it used to be. Its just damn hard to score 40 without it. I'd be more surprised if Gaborik scored 40 goals than if Brassard hit 70 points.

Since Gaborik actually has put up 40 goal as recently as the previous full season and Brass has never had more than 47 points, I'm not sure from where your surprise might come.

.Or are you saying "why is it hard for" those looking for a "winner" to accept that trades don't have to have winners?

That is exactly what I mean.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
No some have. I didn't mean to imply that no one was making the case that the Gaborik trade was good all by itself, I just thought it was odd that many preferred to talk about the trades collectively.

You replied to a post asking why does there have to be a winner and loser with stuff about looking at the trades in combination. The implication being A) that's the only argument being made because B) that's the only way people are viewing the Gaborik trade as a win-win. Simply not true, as you acknowledge here.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
You replied to a post asking why does there have to be a winner and loser with stuff about looking at the trades in combination. The implication being A) that's the only argument being made because B) that's the only way people are viewing the Gaborik trade as a win-win. Simply not true, as you acknowledge here.

Okay, then I misunderstood the post to which I replied. But you seem to have missed this part
Or are you saying "why is it hard for" those looking for a "winner" to accept that trades don't have to have winners?
where I ask if thats what was meant.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
here come the ranger fans. brassard just got an assist

........funny you mention that ;)

I was just coming by because I'm curious. This is a guy who we heard was talented but he didn't have much fanfare and his totals were modest.

I don't know if he's just really hot, but this guy is un****ingbelievable.

Since you guys knew him longer than we do, are you surprised he's been this good, or has he always had untapped potential?

major major

Feb 18, 2013

I was just coming by because I'm curious. This is a guy who we heard was talented but he didn't have much fanfare and his totals were modest.

Since you guys knew him longer than we do, are you surprised he's been this good, or has he always had untapped potential?

We were expecting him to do this for us, for years on end, until we gave up. Then some of us, myself included, concluded that Brass needed a change of scenery for him to reach his potential. But he's always had the potential for it, all Brass needed was a good kick in the ass. And apparently the trade did it for him. I feel good for him, and I'm not surprised at all, my only regret is that we couldn't get more for him because he wasn't going to do this for the Jackets.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Since Gaborik actually has put up 40 goal as recently as the previous full season and Brass has never had more than 47 points, I'm not sure from where your surprise might come.

Most of it has to do with one player exiting his prime and the other entering his prime.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Not surprised at all. This is who he was supposed to be.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

The only mismatches afforded Brassard in Columbus was when he played on the PP and he performed pretty well. Playing 3rd line for the Rangers puts Brass as a "plus" player. If he moves up the lineup for extended periods he's likely to disappear again. I say this not in hope but based on experience we've come to know in Columbus.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Two assists for Brassard and a good game by Moore. Crack your fingers boys because the Rangers fans are comin'.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I hate the effing Rangers. Can not stand that team. I will say, the Eastern Conference is not very good hockey. I really hope the CBJ performs next year so I can throw stones. :)

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Two assists for Brassard and a good game by Moore. Crack your fingers boys because the Rangers fans are comin'.

Moore and Brassard have been tremendous and then there's some loser wearing 61, I don't even know who that guy is :sarcasm:

I only jest. Thanks for the responses guys.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Moore and Brassard have been tremendous and then there's some loser wearing 61, I don't even know who that guy is :sarcasm:

I only jest. Thanks for the responses guys.

No problem with you, you are at least respectful.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Funny that I don't notice Brassard playing too differently, but it seems like he's finding way more open space. Not sure if it's just him going to the right places or his linemates doing better work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad