Confirmed with Link: Gabe Vilardi 2x 3.4375

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Gabe was mentioning in his interview after the trade that the last deal with the Kings wasn’t a negotiation they just gave him an offer and said take it or leave it and he chuckled. I am sure he appreciates that he is in a better position now and he is on a team that wants him.
He also mentioned, in that interview, that he played center for the playoffs. I really hope they try him at center.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The good:

Good caphit, the QO is low enough that it shouldn't create problems in 2 years. Glad arbitration was avoided.

Also like that the cap hit does not reference a jersey number or something stupid like that. I know it's petty but I am suspicious of any player who is vain enough to reference their jersey number in the cap hit, many young players are doing it these days after Marner/Matthews did it. I was worried after seeing the wierd cap number but after doublechecking that it doesn't reference his jersey number of birth day/year I am satisfied.

The bad:

Would have preferred either a 1 year "show me" deal to setup for a long term deal next summer or a long term deal. With a 2 year deal it is too tempting for a player to take the club to arbitration in year 3 and essentially force his way out year 4. Jets have had a lot of success signing guys to long term deals out of their ELCs (Connor, Ehlers, Scheifele, Kane, Helle) whereas their record of being able to sign guys after bridge deals is mixed (worked with Lowry, Morrissey, Perreault did not work with PLD, Copp, Trouba).
I don't think it would have mattered what kind of contract Dubois or Trouba had, both would have wanted a trade anyway.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't think it would have mattered what kind of contract Dubois or Trouba had, both would have wanted a trade anyway.
Every contract is a compromise between what the team wants and what the player is willing to commit to. PLD and Trouba wouldn’t have signed long term in Winnipeg no matter how much Chevy would have over paid them.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Every contract is a compromise between what the team wants and what the player is willing to commit to. PLD and Trouba wouldn’t have signed long term in Winnipeg no matter how much Chevy would have over paid them.

Yea they were both on the way out for sure.

Reactions: Jets 31

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
And why would you stay in a place you don't want to be at 20-25% more salary compared to a place you actively wish to be? That extra amount of money doesn't weigh up the other part.

Reactions: Cypruss

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
There are four new top 9 forwards compared to last year….

Yup. How much roster turnover do people think is realistic.

The team started turning it over last year by adding Snerg, Perfetti and Barron. They have since added Nino, Namestnikov, Vilardi, Kupri, and Iafallo.

That is 7 of 12 starting forwards changed over the last season. That is significant turnover.

Yes our dcore is largely the same but we still have Ville waiting in the wings to s anag a spot.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

The team started turning it over last year by adding Snerg, Perfetti and Barron. They have since added Nino, Namestnikov, Vilardi, Kupri, and Iafallo.

That is 7 of 12 starting forwards changed over the last season. That is significant turnover.

Yes our dcore is largely the same but we still have Ville waiting in the wings to s anag a spot.
WE WANT EVERYTHING DIFFERENT!!!! CHEVY LAKE ETC ETC

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That’s the way it is starting to look.

Not cast in stone yet but that's how it looks so far.
In addition to looking forward to the returns, I was also anticipating having another 10(ish) mil in cap space to work with.

I was disappointed when we didn't get the big housecleaning last off-season. It is now looking all the more like that should have been done. The trade market was a lot stronger last year than it appears to be this year.

That said, I will be happy to have Mark and Connor here as long as they are signed to extensions we can live with. I don't want to see the too much, too long retirement contracts. And I especially don't want to see them walk July 1 next year.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

I think the makeup of the forward group is a lot better.

There should be at least one solid defensive player on each line, plus the 4th line will have legitimate scoring potential. If either Perfetti or Valardi take a significant step forward, this is a 100 point team in my mind.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Not cast in stone yet but that's how it looks so far.
In addition to looking forward to the returns, I was also anticipating having another 10(ish) mil in cap space to work with.

I was disappointed when we didn't get the big housecleaning last off-season. It is now looking all the more like that should have been done. The trade market was a lot stronger last year than it appears to be this year.

That said, I will be happy to have Mark and Connor here as long as they are signed to extensions we can live with. I don't want to see the too much, too long retirement contracts. And I especially don't want to see them walk July 1 next year.
I am also now hoping that they both resign. It is now obvious there is no rebuild. The plan is pretty clear. Retool on the fly and continue to try and compete. So re-signing both becomes an imperative. Chevy won’t be moving them at the TDL unless we are hopelessly out of contention which is unlikely. A hockey trade can still happen but becoming more unlikely by the day.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

True, it is a lot of turnover though Perfetti and Barron were there before TC started last year. I would call that 5 of 12 turned over, but that is still a lot. But some of the big turnover that has been anticipated for 2 years has not happened and we still have 6 players entering the last year of contracts before UFA. 2 big ones and 3 other important ones + a backup goalie.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think the makeup of the forward group is a lot better.

There should be at least one solid defensive player on each line, plus the 4th line will have legitimate scoring potential. If either Perfetti or Valardi take a significant step forward, this is a 100 point team in my mind.

You left out an IF.
IF someone, Perf, Vilardi, Names, someone else, successfully steps into the 2C slot ........

The issues around Scheif and Helle are separate from your point. Even with those 2 playing out the string this could be a very good season. Both of them being in contract years could make it even better.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
True, it is a lot of turnover though Perfetti and Barron were there before TC started last year. I would call that 5 of 12 turned over, but that is still a lot. But some of the big turnover that has been anticipated for 2 years has not happened and we still have 6 players entering the last year of contracts before UFA. 2 big ones and 3 other important ones + a backup goalie.

True. But my guess is the org wants some spots open for players like Heinola and Chisholm who should be ready for them in a year on D and maybe Lambert/Lucious/McGroarty upfront.

I think you will get the full turnover albeit a year later then maybe expected.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You left out an IF.
IF someone, Perf, Vilardi, Names, someone else, successfully steps into the 2C slot ........

The issues around Scheif and Helle are separate from your point. Even with those 2 playing out the string this could be a very good season. Both of them being in contract years could make it even better.

What I'd like to see is a hybrid center model like what we did to end the year with Dubois and Mark on the same line. You'd have Cole and Vilardi switch off depending on the situation. I.e Vilardi takes the dzone center responsibilities due to his size and d game, but Cole takes the nz and oz duties due to better transition play and offensive creativity.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I don't see the turnover much different than the previous year in terms of amount.

6 players on the 21-22 opening night were changed from 22-23 for instance. So was last year significant turnover too? I think this is kind of normal, esp for bottom 6 or depth players usually on shorter term deals or traded out of.

However the player quality is way better imo. The days of gustafsson, ajf, maenalanen etc being regulars should be done. A player like Kuhlman shouldn't sniff the roster. Our third line wingers should be upgraded quite a bit.

I'm unsure if Vilardi+Iafallo are better than pld+wheeler. I think vilardi can be as good as pld if not better, but still uncertainty. However, the couple TDL additions that are still around, as well as (hopefully) Kupari in for Gus should be solid depth improvements.

Reactions: surixon

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
True. But my guess is the org wants some spots open for players like Heinola and Chisholm who should be ready for them in a year on D and maybe Lambert/Lucious/McGroarty upfront.

I think you will get the full turnover albeit a year later then maybe expected.

Chisholm needs waivers this year. Heinola still hasn't been able to handle NHL competition, for whatever reason.

All of those F prospects and Barlow have question marks still attached. Even assuming that some or all succeed in the NHL, will any be top 6C?

I know you are pretty sure Perf makes it at C. I'm a lot less confident of that.

If we get that full turnover in another year it means Helle and Scheif walk. I for 1 will be butthurt if that happens.

What I'd like to see is a hybrid center model like what we did to end the year with Dubois and Mark on the same line. You'd have Cole and Vilardi switch off depending on the situation. I.e Vilardi takes the dzone center responsibilities due to his size and d game, but Cole takes the nz and oz duties due to better transition play and offensive creativity.

That could work - for this year while we still have Scheif.
What happens a year later?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Chisholm needs waivers this year. Heinola still hasn't been able to handle NHL competition, for whatever reason.

All of those F prospects and Barlow have question marks still attached. Even assuming that some or all succeed in the NHL, will any be top 6C?

I know you are pretty sure Perf makes it at C. I'm a lot less confident of that.

If we get that full turnover in another year it means Helle and Scheif walk. I for 1 will be butthurt if that happens.

That could work - for this year while we still have Scheif.
What happens a year later?

The way the NHL game flows you can't always get your switches in so each would be getting reps in all areas of being a center. It would just be more controlled. You can also spell both out if there are injuries.

This way I think both will be positioned to take the reigns of their own lines. But as I will answer in your other thread I think the org goes young in 2025 and takes a one year step back so not the worst thing if there are some additional growing pains with more responsibility.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
The way the NHL game flows you can't always get your switches in so each would be getting reps in all areas of being a center. It would just be more controlled. You can also spell both out if there are injuries.

This way I think both will be positioned to take the reigns of their own lines. But as I will answer in your other thread I think the org goes young in 2025 and takes a one year step back so not the worst thing if there are some additional growing pains with more responsibility.
This is my vision for line 1 - except Perfetti or Vilardi cycling with Scheif as the C role

Names is penciled in as our 2C - he's Bowness' guy and Ehlers has chemsitry... but again, I'd do the same thing there

Vilardi was moved from C to RW and that's where he performed better... its a risk to put that pressure back on him before he's gained some success with the team

Starting to think opening roster is this
Connor-Scheif-Perfetti - cycle the two in Centre roles, get Cole some points and confidence
Ehlers-Names-Vilardi - same deal, keep the pressure off Vilardi for a bit
Nino-Lowry-Apples - it was working in the playoffs...
Iafallo-Barron-Kupari - need to see what Barron/Kupari have and what they can bring to the Jets in 2024-25

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This is my vision for line 1 - except Perfetti or Vilardi cycling with Scheif as the C role

Names is penciled in as our 2C - he's Bowness' guy and Ehlers has chemsitry... but again, I'd do the same thing there

Vilardi was moved from C to RW and that's where he performed better... its a risk to put that pressure back on him before he's gained some success with the team

Connor-Scheif-Perfetti - cycle the two in Centre roles, get Cole some points and confidence
Iafallo-Barron-Kupari - need to see what Barron/Kupari have and what they can bring to the Jets in 2024-25

You seem pretty convinced of a player who's never been a top 6 caliber player to suddenly at post 30 to be one in Name. I just don't think the org brought him back for that role. Look what they are paying him both in terms of cap and term. It seems far more likely he's been penciled into the bottom 6 and will be used to jump up when injuries hit.

Also pretty much everyone has good chemistry with Fly. I wouldn't be using it as a basis for playing him there.

Vilardi was playing C in the playoffs where he was nearly a ppg. Small sample I know but encouraging non the less.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
You seem pretty convinced of a player who's never been a top 6 caliber player to suddenly at post 30 to be one in Name. I just don't think the org brought him back for that role. Look what they are paying him both in terms of cap and term. It seems far more likely he's been penciled into the bottom 6 and will be used to jump up when injuries hit.

Also pretty much everyone has good chemistry with Fly. I wouldn't be using it as a basis for playing him there.

Vilardi was playing C in the playoffs where he was nearly a ppg. Small sample I know but encouraging non the less.
Bowness likes him. I'd say Names is a Bryan Little type player that ended up on the wrong track... stability can bring that back.

I also have high hopes for Vilardi at C - probably our 1C right or wrong moving forward... but again, why pressure him and Perfetti if we don't have to

Play hard but play for a top 15 draft pick this year - make smart moves at the deadline and try for the playoffs next year

Reactions: Eyeseeing

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015

I do agree that Namestnikov has become one of Bones "guys" - and deservedly so given how he contributed last season. But it is probably a stretch to contemplate that he can move right into a 2C position on other than a short term as-required basis (ie perhaps give a faltering line a boost, or, for injury relief). But I truly hope that Names impresses Bones enough such that consideration might be given to actually trying him at 3C, perhaps rotating regularly in or out with Lowry, to change the look of the 3rd line for situational purposes.;)

I have to confess this view is strongly shaped by my thinking that the Jets would be well served to move away from the top6/checking line and more towards a balanced
top 9. The guys we`ve picked up seem to give us sooo much flexibility and opportunity to do so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad