Confirmed with Link: Gabe Vilardi 2x 3.4375

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
3.4375m is 3 and 7/16m.... .4375 is a common fraction.
he got 6 and 7/8 m or 6.875m over 2 years.

Not only Vilardri's point of view.
This is also Chevy playing it safe and making sure he knows what he's got before committing term and AAV to the player.
just from my view if im the Jets, i probably want to lock-him down to a long-term deal as soon as possible. there's no UFA/want to be elsewhere drama, and you get him prior to the breakout as i think he's positioned for a v big year.

for instance, evolvinghockey had 5-8 year deals projected at 5m-5.9m. a difference of 2ishM for over 2x the length for a 24 year old i am not to scared of. especially considering how his underlying numbers tracked last year, and how he will be positioned and relied upon to be a key contributor on our team.

anyway that's just my view on both sides.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
just from my view if im the Jets, i probably want to lock-him down to a long-term deal as soon as possible. there's no UFA/want to be elsewhere drama, and you get him prior to the breakout as i think he's positioned for a v big year.

for instance, evolvinghockey had 5-8 year deals projected at 5m-5.9m. a difference of 2ishM for over 2x the length for a 24 year old i am not to scared of. especially considering how his underlying numbers tracked last year, and how he will be positioned and relied upon to be a key contributor on our team.

The reasons you think a 5-8 year deal would be a great deal for the Jets are the same reasons why Valardi wouldn’t want to sign anything like that.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

And that is why he and his agent probably preferred a bridge deal and didn't play hardball to get one.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
And that is why he and his agent probably preferred a bridge deal and didn't play hardball to get one.

As you put in another thread the org didn't have the cap flexibility to ink him long term either. In two years time a lot of money comes off the books so if he explodes as we all hope the org should have plenty of space to ink him to a long term deal

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The reasons you think a 5-8 year deal would be a great deal for the Jets are the same reasons why Valardi wouldn’t want to sign anything like that.

you both missed the OP

Not surprised there's no long term deal. From his POV I wouldn't want to lock into an AAV when you're positioned to have a big/important role and smash career highs

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
As you put in another thread the org didn't have the cap flexibility to ink him long term either. In two years time a lot of money comes off the books so if he explodes as we all hope the org should have plenty of space to ink him to a long term deal
Agreed and I think a bridge is what was in both teams best interest and all appearances suggest it was amicable from start to finish. Nice start for Valardi in Winnipeg. I now expect Kupari to be signed to a bridge in short order.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
you both missed the OP
So why the follow up post if you thought it unlikely? We all would have liked him to sign away his career on a gift contract to the organization. That is why these guys all have very skilled agents.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
So why the follow up post if you thought it unlikely? We all would have liked him to sign away his career on a gift contract to the organization. That is why these guys all have very skilled agents.

what? i responded to a post that was talking about Chevy/Jets POV & that was quoting my OP. not sure what your beef is, or if you have trouble following posts. & im aware these guys have agents.

Last edited:

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Looks like Gabe will be #13 too.

The Jets social media post had him photoshopped in a #13 jersey.

No surprise as it’s his number and Dubois gave it yup for #80 couple of years ago. Oh and PLD who?

I might need to get a #13 Vilardi jersey.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
what? i responded to a post that was talking about Chevy/Jets POV & that was quoting my OP. not sure what your beef is, or if you have trouble following posts. & im aware these guys have agents.
It is not a beef. Sometimes a post gets missed. I mostly agree with what you have to say.

Looks like Gabe will be #13 too.

The Jets social media post had him photoshopped in a #13 jersey.

No surprise as it’s his number and Dubois gave it yup for #80 couple of years ago. Oh and PLD who?

I might need to get a #13 Vilardi jersey.
A while back someone posted that #13 is now his official number. And agreed #13 has inched up my list of next jerseys, but I'm leaving that one open in case Perfetti breaks loose.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
you both missed the OP
The flip side for Vilardi and a long term deal is the security that goes along with it. He may leave some meat on the bone if he breaks out, but a guy with his health history would be remiss to not at least consider the guarented income of a 6 (or more) year deal

So the optimist in me says that his willingness to sign the bridge means that he's confident that he can remain healthy over the next couple of seasons

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It also looks like Valardi and his agent weren't out to play hardball. Get a fair deal with a team where he has more opportunity than he would have in almost any other situation. Now go out and prove yourself. Gabe might just be the player I'm most excited to see spread his wings this season.

Both excited and clenching. :laugh:
It is important that Vilardi succeed to make the trade chain from Laine > PLD > Vilardi ++ pay off. Though the pluses to Vilardi help to cover value if he disappoints. But he is the main piece and needs to provide the lions share of value.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingBogo and buggs

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
It is not a beef. Sometimes a post gets missed. I mostly agree with what you have to say.

A while back someone posted that #13 is now his official number. And agreed #13 has inched up my list of next jerseys, but I'm leaving that one open in case Perfetti breaks loose.
Might be a few years out but I think my next one will definitely be a Rutger #2

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
The good:

Good caphit, the QO is low enough that it shouldn't create problems in 2 years. Glad arbitration was avoided.

Also like that the cap hit does not reference a jersey number or something stupid like that. I know it's petty but I am suspicious of any player who is vain enough to reference their jersey number in the cap hit, many young players are doing it these days after Marner/Matthews did it. I was worried after seeing the wierd cap number but after doublechecking that it doesn't reference his jersey number of birth day/year I am satisfied.

The bad:

Would have preferred either a 1 year "show me" deal to setup for a long term deal next summer or a long term deal. With a 2 year deal it is too tempting for a player to take the club to arbitration in year 3 and essentially force his way out year 4. Jets have had a lot of success signing guys to long term deals out of their ELCs (Connor, Ehlers, Scheifele, Kane, Helle) whereas their record of being able to sign guys after bridge deals is mixed (worked with Lowry, Morrissey, Perreault did not work with PLD, Copp, Trouba).

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The good:

Good caphit, the QO is low enough that it shouldn't create problems in 2 years. Glad arbitration was avoided.

Also like that the cap hit does not reference a jersey number or something stupid like that. I know it's petty but I am suspicious of any player who is vain enough to reference their jersey number in the cap hit, many young players are doing it these days after Marner/Matthews did it. I was worried after seeing the wierd cap number but after doublechecking that it doesn't reference his jersey number of birth day/year I am satisfied.

The bad:

Would have preferred either a 1 year "show me" deal to setup for a long term deal next summer or a long term deal. With a 2 year deal it is too tempting for a player to take the club to arbitration in year 3 and essentially force his way out year 4. Jets have had a lot of success signing guys to long term deals out of their ELCs (Connor, Ehlers, Scheifele, Kane, Helle) whereas their record of being able to sign guys after bridge deals is mixed (worked with Lowry, Morrissey, Perreault did not work with PLD, Copp, Trouba).
Include Pionk in the bridge pool too. Helle had a 1*2.25m deal before his long term.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The good:

The bad:

A 2 year is still a show me deal. A long term extension can still be signed next July 1st or sometime afterwards with the buffer of having another year under contract to avoid another public microscope.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It also looks like Valardi and his agent weren't out to play hardball. Get a fair deal with a team where he has more opportunity than he would have in almost any other situation. Now go out and prove yourself. Gabe might just be the player I'm most excited to see spread his wings this season.

Gabe was mentioning in his interview after the trade that the last deal with the Kings wasn’t a negotiation they just gave him an offer and said take it or leave it and he chuckled. I am sure he appreciates that he is in a better position now and he is on a team that wants him.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
That’s the way it is starting to look.
Chevy basically said as much after the trade and the Brossoit signing. I think at the very least, Chevy will want to showcase them for a bit and trade them in season, but I think that probably less desirable to him than getting them locked up if at all possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad