Status
Not open for further replies.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
VV is just playing the Holtby game. Stand on your head when you have to. Give up soft goals when they are free. Get the W.
The league in general is pretty sloppy right now and a lot of his goals against are not on him. He's better than Samsonov right now and for me is as good as I was hoping we would see from Sammy.

I think the team is a whole lot better than we were thinking and I think the kid is a treat.

I've noticed he has had a higher than normal share of goals going on off two of his own teammates, really unlucky bounces. Those things tend to even themselves out over the course of the season. Like to see his GAA come down a bit but I think it will over times.

Easy for some other people to forget, he hasn't played 10 NHL games yet. Lets let the kid settle in some more.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I've noticed he has had a higher than normal share of goals going on off two of his own teammates, really unlucky bounces. Those things tend to even themselves out over the course of the season. Like to see his GAA come down a bit but I think it will over times.

Easy for some other people to forget, he hasn't played 10 NHL games yet. Lets let the kid settle in some more.

I think we expected too much from Samsonov and just had him pegged for a top goalie and had Vanecek pegged as a career minor leaguer. Teams are often as much about chemistry as anything. It might be that VV is the round peg for a round hole.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
A few more games of this & he’ll finally be an AHL starter caliber goalie
At 26yo? I am not sure. If he was 22 and had 20+ games with highest NHL Sv% like Samsonov did last year. May be. But at his 22 VV was playing with his ****. No way he has any developpment margin.

Last edited:

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
At 26yo? I am not sure. If he was 22 and had 20+ games with highest NHL Sv% like Samsonov did last year. May be. But at his 22 VV was playing with his ****. No way he has any developpment margin.
You don't know how goalies develop and that's funny to me.

to be clear: Vanacek is "behind" the arc of top prospects, but no goaltender is capped out at 26.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland

You really think goalies peak at 26?

23-26 is pretty standard age to break out for NHL, and keep getting better fromt that point on. Rinne, Binnington, Lundqvist, Holtby etc etc etc. Then there are guys like Tim Thomas who were on their 30+ to break through.

Vanecek also didnt just come out of nowhere as an ECHL goalie. Caps has had the luxury of having really solid positional strength at G. Holtby, Grubauer and the heralded prospect in Sammy. Vanecek outplayed Samsonov in AHL last year, and is a two-time AHL allstars-select. He has been doing good developement year by year and would have had his 20 games on some other organizations by now. And he was a high 2nd round draft pick too, after all. All 17 picks later than Samsonov. Caps traded up to draft him.

Did quick math to amuse myself. 37/62 top2 goalies from active rosters had not played 20 games when they were 22 years old (not 100% of the accuracy, it was a really quick check up). So over half of the goalies are garbage who dont have any future in the league?

Last edited:

Aliceanna

Tom Wilson - Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 12, 2011
ATL
Did he have anyone close on that flight, do you know?
Ovi had been 2005 WJC teammates with Alexander Galimov--the one player who survived the crash, but was severely burned and died due to his injuries a few days later. Ovi tweeted encouraging (and heartbreaking) messages to him to hang on before he passed away.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I think we expected too much from Samsonov and just had him pegged for a top goalie and had Vanecek pegged as a career minor leaguer. Teams are often as much about chemistry as anything. It might be that VV is the round peg for a round hole.

I think expectations are realistically high for Sammy, he was a rare first round pick goalie, its normal for us to expect a lot from him... What we missed maybe is the timing, he's been on a fast rise since coming to North America, and he's still learning the language for cripes sake, and he's hit some maturity speed bumps lately. I'd just caution us all from writing his final chapter just yet. Like a lot of good goalies, when he's on, he's dynamite. He just needs to learn how to be a professional and focus on being on most all of the time.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think expectations are realistically high for Sammy, he was a rare first round pick goalie, its normal for us to expect a lot from him... What we missed maybe is the timing, he's been on a fast rise since coming to North America, and he's still learning the language for cripes sake, and he's hit some maturity speed bumps lately. I'd just caution us all from writing his final chapter just yet. Like a lot of good goalies, when he's on, he's dynamite. He just needs to learn how to be a professional and focus on being on most all of the time.

I meant expectations for today/right now. Might he be legit with time to grow up? Sure. We are talking about this season. This season where the learning can be expensive to the team.

Maybe they are pushing him too fast and that is a reason why he is having maturity problems. You know?

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Vanacek has been OK but I'm not real sure why people are ranting and raving when this team has a 3 GA/GP average.

Championship teams generally playing better defense than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad