Post-Game Talk: G9: Not-Charas @ The Fighting Charas | 1/30/21 | 7p ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Hagelin... had a lot of good plays tonight, obv. not shooting the biscuit but about everytime he was heading into the corners or boards he would throw a little deke and throw off the checker, came away with a lot of pucks/wins; small things that help possession
Panik has had several solid games recently, what a perfect screen for Willy's goal shot (Panik got credited with the G later), been getting chances and bringing good physicality, goals and points will come

What a start being able to bank all these points so early, bodes well

Backstrom is 5g8a !?!(*!$$Zoinks-

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Nice w! Not our best game but winning a team like Boston that way is great.

Ovies back!

Another great performance by our ECHL-goalie!

Them getting the point at the last minute stings a bit, but whatever as long as we keep racking em up. Sucks that every game in our division goes to OT. Not much at all of cushion achieved with 6-0-3..

Reactions: max21

Aliceanna

Tom Wilson - Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 12, 2011
ATL
Yeah I'm starting to get used to Alexa now.

Bring back Carlin as an analyst replacement to Ashooh.
I do not like anything about Alexa. She is a prototypical automoton right out of her coms program (I'm sure Carlin was the same way when he first graduated), but her lack of enthusiasm (she's not a neutral sports reporter, she's the anchor of a local RSN show!), her lack of hockey knowledge, and her general vibe annoy me greatly.

I don't like Ashoof, either, but he comes across as a doofy idiot who at least gets enthusiastic about the Caps.

Mostly, I miss Rob and Jill and Courtney, and all the other knowledgeable and fun people they have let go over the last couple years.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I never thought I would say it but I miss Grant doing post and pre show. He was a real caps fan and would interact with fans on air and answer questions on air. Alexis shes a Cali girl and only came her for a job and will prob leave as soon as she gets a national offer.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
We gave the Bruins a point in the end, but at least it's Ovi who scored the OT winner. So we don't lose too much in that exchange.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
We are not fighting vs Bruins. We are fighting the team that will finish 5th in the division. Boston are garantied top 3 in my eyes.

If i didnt knew better id be sure you are a Pens-troll. Dude, take a day off of the negativity. Just one day.

record playing for this week;

- Vanecek is ECHL
- Eller is ECHL
- Backstrom sucks
- Caps sucks and will struggle to make the poffs

meanwhile

- Vanecek is 3rd in pretty much every statline in NHL, winning night after night
- Eller keeps on being trustworthy 3C
- Backstrom is playing his best hockey for years
- Caps are leading the division, top3 in the league

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
We gave the Bruins a point in the end, but at least it's Ovi who scored the OT winner. So we don't lose too much in that exchange.
I was pissed the Bruins tied it. Thought the refs completely swallowed the whistle there in the end, and it was going to cost the Caps a point.

Once they got the 2pts, I let it go. I don’t much care where the Caps finish vis a vis the Bruins. I just want to ensure they make the dance.

Bruins will be a playoff team. Unless injuries rag doll them. So them getting points doesn’t concern me. It’s the damned Pens losses that blows. They didn’t deserve 4 in those 2 games, and we are vying with them, Philly, and NYI for the other 3 slots in the division.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
That can't be right. He gives up 3 goals a game.

I'm happy with VV, don't get me wrong, but I'd be shocked if he's a top 10 G statistically, outside of wins.

That's where I'm at too. Vitek is no Hasek, but he is a goalie we definitely can win with. Which was a huge question mark coming into the season.. having a goalie of that caliber. And he has definitely saved our bacon a lot of times. But there are definitely areas to improve for him, as well as the D in front of him.

Here is to hoping he continues to improve and the Washington/Hershey goalie factory strikes again.

Edit: kind of crazy how we keep getting points and we don't even seem to be clicking on full cylinders yet. Pretty damn good depth, 17 players with at least 1 goal.

Last edited:

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
That can't be right. He gives up 3 goals a game.

I'm happy with VV, don't get me wrong, but I'd be shocked if he's a top 10 G statistically, outside of wins.
He does have a couple 40 save games so his sv% is probably pretty good.

he definitely made the saves he needed to in the 1st when bruins were coming in waves.

Reactions: tenken00

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Can’t ask for a better start points wise. The team is cutting down on turnovers and odd man rushes. Penalties are still a problem but we also haven’t exactly gotten the benefit of doubt by the officials. There are still some holes I see in our game and I’m hoping we address those as the season progresses.

Reactions: Corby78

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Backstrom has nothing to be a leader. No charisma. 100% follower, not a leader of anything.

Three-Tips-to-Increase-Your-Casting-Distance-1.jpg

Reactions: HTFN and chilimac

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
VV is just playing the Holtby game. Stand on your head when you have to. Give up soft goals when they are free. Get the W.
The league in general is pretty sloppy right now and a lot of his goals against are not on him. He's better than Samsonov right now and for me is as good as I was hoping we would see from Sammy.

I think the team is a whole lot better than we were thinking and I think the kid is a treat.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
At worst, Vanacek has shown that he can hold down an NHL backup goalie position for a stretch without the team suffering too much. That's good enough for me. Hopefully, it isn't enough for Seattle (or the Caps can trade him and get something in return before the expansion draft so they don't lose him for nothing.)

The team is still giving up too many turnovers in their own zone and the neutral zone. I lost track last night how many times their sloppy play with the puck led to Boston regaining possession in the Washington zone. They've gotta tighten those things up. Late in the first they did seem to make a conscious effort to slow things down when they got possession, and settle and wait for a clean breakout attempt. More of that please.

Better to lose possession in the opposing teams zone than in their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad