GDT: G6: Cappies @ Debbies - 7:38pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
If other teams want to play that ragged and porous, yes. The Devils were still really close to tying it, though.

They were more connected yet I still don't know how well they can defend, as seen when NJD surged back. It's progress and they stuck with it. McMichael & Mantha with Backstrom seems like it could work. Kuznetsov seemed to care. Result inconclusive.
That was a cacophony of bad bounces though. Don't get me wrong, they're more likely to lose more than win, but that stretch of bounces was the only thing that kept NJ in the game, and they were some really unfortunate bounces.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

McMichael seems to be a legitimate middle 6 player. I laugh at anyone who said he needed to be in the AHL last year, but I support your right to say that.

Mantha had a great game, though I'd bet it's a one-off.

I think Ovechkin getting back on track is probably the best part about the past 3 games.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013

McMichael seems to be a legitimate middle 6 player. I laugh at anyone who said he needed to be in the AHL last year, but I support your right to say that.

I think Ovechkin getting back on track is probably the best part about the past 3 games.

I thought Milano had a good game.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Thank you for splitting up Carlson/Sandin. Much better this way.

I like these lines. Ovie/Strome should never be broken up for the rest of the season. Strome needs to replace Backstrom on the PP.

McMichael again finally showing some flashes. He went 1 on 3 and split the defense at one point coming off the wall. Nice move. Would have been an amazing highlight if that shot went in.

Milano played really well IMO.

Kuznetsov hâd some great feeds across the middle.

Wilson played awful IMO, especially in his own end. Typically a good defensive player but not tonight.

Uh, Mantha had a great game?

Oshie with some ultra ugly uncharacteristic turnovers - two of them could have easily resulted in goals.

This team sucks at breaking out of its own zone.

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021

So Jensen had no impact on this game whatsoever, according to the stat card?

• Haha
Reactions: um

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I thought Milano had a good game.

I didn't watch it so this very well could be true. One of the downsides of the game score charts is that there's no regression done. It's based entirely on on-ice stats and individual stats for a game. Hence you'll typically see entire lines doing well or poorly for a single game, even if it was really just one of the guys doing the heavy lifting.

I'm much more interested in the GAR/xGAR stats when they start getting calculated in a few weeks because they will account for various contexts and they will assign impacts to individuals over a larger sample.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
I didn't watch it so this very well could be true. One of the downsides of the game score charts is that there's no regression done. It's based entirely on on-ice stats and individual stats for a game. Hence you'll typically see entire lines doing well or poorly for a single game, even if it was really just one of the guys doing the heavy lifting.

I'm much more interested in the GAR/xGAR stats when they start getting calculated in a few weeks because they will account for various contexts and they will assign impacts to individuals over a larger sample.
He also had a goal overturned due to off sides, which it obviously doesn't factor in. But he was noticeably one of our better players.

Reactions: twabby

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
This team sucks at breaking out of its own zone.
I thought the Strome interview was great because he made it clear they are adjusting right now. Under Lavy breakouts were much simpler and often about chipping a puck out getting it deep and forechecking. Now they are being asked to carry the puck out or find a good outlet pass instead of chipping it off the boards and you can tell they are thinking a lot and it’s leading to turnovers.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I hope Sandin is just banged up a little and not long term. Alexeyev/LuJo are not d-men I want in the lineup. HHA has played more confident then both, but he's a rookie. Caps D is really getting tested in the early part of the season.

Reactions: HecticGlow

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Hunter Shepard 18/22 .818 SV% 4GA 6-4 win
Darcy Kuemper 13/17 .765 SV% 4GA 1-4 loss

The biggest difference between the two goalies, Shepard was playing in his first ever NHL game and he didn't give up any short-side or leaky goals. He didn't cheat his angles, he plays the percentages and he plays patient. You could even argue that the Devils are a faster skating team than the Leafs. What I liked about Shepard, he was impressively even keel the whole game and he battled hard. Not sure you could say the same for Kuemper in his start against the Leafs.

Not sure what you think, but I think Shepard should either get the next start as well against the Wild or if you go back to Kuemper, then Shepard should start against the Sharks.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Hunter Shepard 18/22 .818 SV% 4GA 6-4 win
Darcy Kuemper 13/17 .765 SV% 4GA 1-4 loss

The biggest difference between the two goalies, Shepard was playing in his first ever NHL game and he didn't give up any short-side or leaky goals. He didn't cheat his angles, he plays the percentages and he plays patient. You could even argue that the Devils are a faster skating team than the Leafs. What I liked about Shepard, he was impressively even keel the whole game and he battled hard. Not sure you could say the same for Kuemper in his start against the Leafs.

Not sure what you think, but I think Shepard should either get the next start as well against the Wild or if you go back to Kuemper, then Shepard should start against the Sharks.
I think you're really overreacting to Kuempers bad game against the Leafs.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Backstrom off PP1 seems like it should be a bigger story, esp. combined with being out of the top six.
Well we did get worse when he returned last season. And the year before.

Dropping him to borderline 4th line minutes (12:40 here) seems to be working wonders. I think his ice-time can even drop to around ~12 when Dowd is back.

Great win here. Sandin got hurt and didn't play in the last ~15 minutes which is worrying.

Reactions: um
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille