GDT: G5: Leafs @ Caps - 6:08pm

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Not if you’re evaluating a GM’s performance
No it isn't.

I guess being a Commanders fan for my entire life has really jaded me, but it really seems like Caps being bad is going to make so much discussion around them completely insufferable. Just ignoring reality.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
Well, after careful consideration, I’m going to watch Engine Masters.

Once I’m done with that I’ll watch this game, on FF1 speed, in case I missed anything.

Reactions: Raikkonen

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
No it isn't.

I guess being a Commanders fan for my entire life has really jaded me, but it really seems like Caps being bad is going to make so much discussion around them completely insufferable. Just ignoring reality.
What’s the reality we’re ignoring by pointing out GMBM has been mediocre

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Because the only thing you're ignoring is reality. The only deal one can really complain about is maybe Wilson, but he'd still be playing here the exact same way even if they didn't resign him. He's not even on his new deal yet. Give him more then 4 games too get it together.

The rest? You don't get a cup. You don't get to bitch and moan about having to clean up after the party if you were one of the one's enjoying the ride. The bill comes due at some point.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Because the only thing you're ignoring is reality. The only deal one can really complain about is maybe Wilson, but he'd still be playing here the exact same way even if they didn't resign him. He's not even on his new deal yet. Give him more then 4 games too get it together.

The rest? You don't get a cup. You don't get to bitch and moan about having to clean up after the party if you were one of the one's enjoying the ride. The bill comes due at some point.
Literally not a single player on this roster is on the same contract as they were when they won the Cup, so none of this is cup hangover.

(edit - correction - TJ Oshie is the lone player on the same contract)

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
Just switched from ESPN+ to ESPN broadcast. Picture improvement is tremendous. Too bad it didn’t improve the Caps play.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Literally not a single player on this roster is on the same contract as they were when they won the Cup, so none of this is cup hangover.

(edit - correction - TJ Oshie is the lone player on the same contract)
And most were signed the year following the cup win, what kind of bitchfest would we have had they just let every single one of them walk after wards? What kind of culture does the team cultivate at that point? There isn't a world where a guy like Ted is letting the band break up right after they hit the mountain top.

Hell, people still whine about letting Trotz go.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Let us evaluate this from both sides(fan and team sides). At face value, BMac didn't trade Oshie/Mantha/Gave Backstrom too much. But from Ted's incompetence view, Oshie is a fan favorite, he doesn't like buying out contracts and Backstrom's extension was a reward despite it badly handcuffing the teams salary cap situation. Ted has made BMac look a lot worse than he has really been.

Reactions: PlushMinus

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
The Caps as a team and most of them individually are barely in pre-season form.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles

Hahaha. What an absolute loser mentality - one Cup is enough, no decisions or deals can be made to keep a team competitive.

Tampa, Boston, Vegas, Colorado, even LA all seem like valid counterexamples.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
And most were signed the year following the cup win, what kind of bitchfest would we have had they just let every single one of them walk after wards? What kind of culture does the team cultivate at that point? There isn't a world where a guy like Ted is letting the band break up right after they hit the mountain top.

Hell, people still whine about letting Trotz go.
Keeping the core together a few more years is one thing, but at a certain point there needs to be a reckoning. Just because a player has a contract doesn't mean they can't be traded (and GMBM has traded away plenty of players, they just tend to be the younger guys rather than anyone who gets to skate on PP1). And GMBM has continued to give out more of these retirement contracts that have led to so much trouble, beyond just that season after the Cup.

Keep Carlson, Kuzy, and Oshie around short-term, sure, but that doesn't mean they have to be Caps-for-life.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Goals 3 & 4 I can't blame him for because 3 was a breakaway that went bardown and 4 was a oneT by Matthews from the slot
I have to look at the vid clips when I get a chance. The one thing about Kuemper is he's considered a big goalie being 6'5", but not the most mobile for his size. In other words sometimes he plays small for his big size, but I never saw that when he played for the Coyotes, Kings and Avs. It leads me to believe he trying to trust Scott Murray, but Murray is teaching him the wrong techniques and reads! Vanacek had the same problem with Murray. He would open up so many holes for shooters as soon as went down early in the butterfly. Meanwhile, the Finnish goalie coach is working well with the goalies down in Hershey...

Reactions: Rockingred12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad