GDT: G5: Leafs @ Caps - 6:08pm

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Will be interesting if and when there come to be consequences for the likes of Backstrom, Kuznetsov and Oshie being total passengers. Probably also should be something a supposed power forward and future captain can provide for them.

Reactions: um and troyerlaw

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Backstrom took way too much. His contract is a big part of the problem.

It's part of the problem but it was signed in 2020 and he's arguably the franchise's second most important player. I'm not giving them a total pass for the AAV but he's a guy they probably just have to re-sign.

The Wilson extension just reeks of laziness and not even exploring the market for a team that really has no hope of contending in the near future. What was the point of extending a 30 year old second line winger for 7 years with the contention window closed, rather than cashing out on him?

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Definitely have to wonder if they're not already thinking ahead about the wisdom of buyouts next summer, as unpalatable as it may be. So many cooked vets on terrible contracts with no market. If it's a long season--as it certainly looks to be--then they can't possibly shrug their shoulders and run the core back out yet again, right? Not like there's an easy shake-up to be made or else they would have done it in the off-season like they clearly wanted to. At this point a top six shake-up wouldn't (and won't) go far enough anyway.

Probably no use bundling assets to dump Mantha either. If anything maybe waive him to make room for Miroshnichenko. Add someone eager to go to work and make their mark. Any restructuring/punting may have to start with moving Jensen or TVR since both should at least have an actual trade market. Might as well be honest about their defensive capacity and start over with players that are at least developing like an Iorio. Not much to lose shifting to that mentality before long (to the degree they're even able roster-wise to do so).

While there's a wide degree of latitude for MacLellan in terms of the core, their decline and ownership decisions, he's hasn't added much to offset/combat any of this. Strome, Milano, Phillips, Sandin...none industrious and complete to the point where they're going to make any difference as leadership material. Until they add more of that element--even Wilson looks cooked in that regard--they're just a dense country club easy out seemingly incapable of dialing it in.
I wish you and some others would stop thinking that Ted is like the other NHL owners! He rarely buys out players contracts! This team will be stuck with Oshie's/Kuzy's contracts.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
I simply think some of these old dogs, after all these years, are having a hard time learning a new system. Combine this with lazy play and old legs, and this is what we get in the near future. With this old core, we need everyone to be at 100% effort. So far, I see 2-3 players per game who look like they know what they're doing and trying to do it.

PP needs to change. Everyone is still standing around waiting to feed Ovi. Been predictable for the last 2-3 years now. Darcy needs to be better but needs help. Can't win with only 1 goal being scored.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007

Will be interesting if and when there come to be consequences for the likes of Backstrom, Kuznetsov and Oshie being total passengers. Probably also should be something a supposed power forward and future captain can provide for them.

I don’t think Backstrom and Oshie are passengers in the sense that they aren’t trying. They are just done, it’s not their fault.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
It's part of the problem but it was signed in 2020 and he's arguably the franchise's second most important player. I'm not giving them a total pass for the AAV but he's a guy they probably just have to re-sign.

The Wilson extension just reeks of laziness and not even exploring the market for a team that really has no hope of contending in the near future.
I'll give you this one on the Wilson contract. I think a bunch of other GM's employed under better owners than Ted, could have hashed out a better cap hit extension deal for Wilson or traded him. Lindgren was too much too. BMac gave Lindgren the same deal that he gave Pheonix Copley. Both backup goalie deals are the same and both have had the same negative result.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017

The Wilson extension just reeks of laziness and not even exploring the market for a team that really has no hope of contending in the near future. What was the point of extending a 30 year old second line winger for 7 years with the contention window closed, rather than cashing out on him?
I'll give you this one on the Wilson contract. I think a bunch of other GM's employed under better owners than Ted, could have hashed out a better cap hit extension deal for Wilson or traded him. Lindgren was too much too. BMac gave Lindgren the same deal that he gave Pheonix Copley. Both backup goalie deals are the same and both have had the same negative result.
He didn’t need to give Milano the contract he got either.

I like Milano, but he isn’t waiveable or trabeadle.

Reactions: Ovie's Neighbor

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I don’t think Backstrom and Oshie are passengers in the sense that they aren’t trying. They are just done, it’s not their fault.
I don't think they are completely done, but simply they are the wrong fit on this team now. They are not core players anymore. Backstrom/Oshie would be complimentary players on some Cup contender teams wanting get stronger for the playoffs at the deadline or mentors for young players on another team that have salary cap room(Oshie's/Backstrom's cap hits at half price).

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles

Wait, is that true about Milano? Does he have a no-trade clause? (And if yes, lol, how?)

Or do you just mean there's not a market for him right now

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

A maybe on Milano. You could have possibly signed him $400k lower per year. To Milano's credit, he has been consistent on the same points total for 2 straight years with two different teams.

Reactions: tycoonheart

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I don't think they are completely done, but simply they are the wrong fit on this team now. They are not core players anymore. Backstrom/Oshie would be complimentary players on some Cup contender teams wanting get stronger for the playoffs at the deadline or mentors for young players on another team that have salary cap room(Oshie's/Backstrom's cap hits at half price).
In what position does a Cup contender employ Backstrom? He is not any contender's top-6 center, he is not a shut down guy, doesn't penalty kill, doesn't produce. That's before we even get to his contract. Retirement is the obvious answer there.

Oshie I could maybe see having some value with 50% retention. Caps should be force feeding him every available offensive opportunity. That extra year on the contract is a tough sell but Caps gotta try. Ditto for Mantha.

Reactions: Midnight Judges

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Caps played probably their best game of the season tonight. They pretty handedly controlled play but that’s hockey sometimes. If they play like this consistently they’ll have better times ahead.

It is what it is at this point.
Not with the goaltending their getting from Kuemper. Giving up 4 goals on 17 shots, no team in the NHL will win a game with those kind of goaltending numbers.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
1000012490.png

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes