GDT: G31 - ANA @ MIN - Off the Road Again - 7PM Central - FSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
It'salmost like Parise has been force fed offfensive situations to the point it's become a detriment to the overall production of the team.

What does Parise bring to a 4x3 PP?
Detriment of the team? They're 6-1-3 in their past 10 games. Parise is a proven goal scorer. One of very few on the team.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Basically what he did against Dallas.

The team just went 8-0-3 with him having the same offensive situations as he had last night.
The only counterpoint I'll make is that it might've been better to play that late powerplay like it was still 3v3 instead of like a 5-on-4 powerplay. At 5-on-4 they do a lot of point-shot -> pop-in-a-rebound type plays, and Parise's as good at the latter as anyone on the team. I think we kind of saw what happened when they tried that approach last night though: too afraid to take the point shots for fear of losing possession, so there was never much for Parise to do.

They were actually doing pretty well at 3v3 up until that point. Might've been better to just throw the same guys +1 out there for the powerplay.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Basically what he did against Dallas.

The team just went 8-0-3 with him having the same offensive situations as he had last night.
what he did against Dallas isn't an option at 4x3. There's 2 less players on the ice

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The only counterpoint I'll make is that it might've been better to play that late powerplay like it was still 3v3 instead of like a 5-on-4 powerplay. At 5-on-4 they do a lot of point-shot -> pop-in-a-rebound type plays, and Parise's as good at the latter as anyone on the team. I think we kind of saw what happened when they tried that approach last night though: too afraid to take the point shots for fear of losing possession, so there was never much for Parise to do.

They were actually doing pretty well at 3v3 up until that point. Might've been better to just throw the same guys +1 out there for the powerplay.

They're still going to default to a PP setup because the other team is going to default to a PK triangle.

And I guess I didn't really sense a fear of losing possession. I just saw nobody taking any initiative.

Wasn't the Brodin-Donato stretch pass the only thing they did 3v3 up until that point?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
They're still going to default to a PP setup because the other team is going to default to a PK triangle.

And I guess I didn't really sense a fear of losing possession. I just saw nobody taking any initiative.

Wasn't the Brodin-Donato stretch pass the only thing they did 3v3 up until that point?
You might be right in terms of actual scoring chances... I thought they were controlling and managing the puck pretty well, but maybe it didn't really amount to much. I'd have to rewatch it.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It's not an option to screen the goalie, make a deflection or bang home a rebound on a 4v3? News to me.
It's not a realistic option to use someone solely as a net front in a 4x3. The defense just turns that into a 3 man triangle and closes the lanes to the net. Making the net front player useless.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
You might be right in terms of actual scoring chances... I thought they were controlling and managing the puck pretty well, but maybe it didn't really amount to much. I'd have to rewatch it.

I think that's what I remember, nothing but possession until the stretch pass, which had to have occurred fairly quickly because Brodin started the OT.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Everyone knows how much i like Brodin, but it is funny to see how he turns into a pumpkin once he crosses the other team's Blue line in 3 v 3. With his skills he should be a major player in 3 v 3. We need to send him to an ashram during the All Star break so he can meditate on offense, and how he can achieve it.

Did anyone else get a read on Mennell, and how good his skating was? I just saw him do a few good things with the puck, and make the odd decision that was too slow because he hasn't adjusted to NHL speed. He looked ok, otherwise.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Menell is a 3rd pair NHLer right now, with a good chance to be more than that. The only mistakes that I noticed were speed of the game issues where he made a good decision, he just made it too late.

Reactions: AKL

The Enemy Within

Holl at .6 seconds
Feb 25, 2014
West of the SOH
Just watched the recording and it is so good to see Koivu and his family there. Always nice to see a player play in 1,000 games for the same team, especially when that is our team! May never happen again.

I just wish we could freaking do something in overtime or the shootout. I swear we must be near the bottom of the league in extended play since our inception.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Menell is a 3rd pair NHLer right now, with a good chance to be more than that. The only mistakes that I noticed were speed of the game issues where he made a good decision, he just made it too late.

This was my impression as well. I would like to see Hunt or Seeler moved, the other one being kept as the 7D, move Pateryn when he gets back, and roll with Soucy-Menell as the third pairing. I’m sure I’m jumping the gun on a rookie third pairing, but Soucy is capable enough and if Menell can play like he did last night consistently, he’ll get there quickly.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
This was my impression as well. I would like to see Hunt or Seeler moved, the other one being kept as the 7D, move Pateryn when he gets back, and roll with Soucy-Menell as the third pairing. I’m sure I’m jumping the gun on a rookie third pairing, but Soucy is capable enough and if Menell can play like he did last night consistently, he’ll get there quickly.
I don't think Hunt and/or Seeler need to be moved, but if there's a good deal available it would make sense to move one. Personally, I would keep Seeler if given the

I do think that Guerin should probably already have a deal in hand for Pateryn though.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't think Hunt and/or Seeler need to be moved, but if there's a good deal available it would make sense to move one. Personally, I would keep Seeler if given the

I do think that Guerin should probably already have a deal in hand for Pateryn though.

Just thinking from the standpoint of generally not carrying 8 or 9 D.

Suter-Spurgeon
Brodin-Dumba
Soucy-Menell
Seeler-Pateryn
Hunt

Two of them could realistically be moved, and Belpedio would still be a fine call up in case of injury.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Hunt's spot on the 2nd PP is making me nervous regarding Soucy's spot in the lineup when Pateryn gets back.

Like 2Pair said, Guerin should really have a deal for Pateryn in place when he comes back.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Suter-Spurgeon
Brodin-Dumba
Soucy-Menell
Seeler-Pateryn
Hunt

Two of them could realistically be moved, and Belpedio would still be a fine call up in case of injury.

I like Menell, but I don't know if there is a necessity to keep him in the NHL right how. Let him get his taste and then go back down and help Iowa. He'll be an NHLer soon enough.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

Suter-Spurgeon
Brodin-Dumba
Soucy-Menell
Seeler-Pateryn
Hunt

Yeah, you can't have 9 dmen, but I would rather carry 8 than just throw one of Seeler/Hunt away for a meaningless trade.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't think Hunt is any threat to Soucy, unless the latter starts to come back down to earth. I also see some upside to Soucy...I think he could be stronger with a rigorous off season program. He is starting to look like the second coming of Scandella.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
The thing about Seeler is he is a ghost in the offensive zone. So any time he is on the ice he had better be decent at defense. That’s his value. Hunt has pretty poor defense so he had better be decent at offense. That’s his value. Both pretty even in their complete and total opposite ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad