GDT: G2: Wild at Kings - 8pm CT (FSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Stats back up Suter/Dumba being better, but that’s not what I remember seeing for the 1st half of the game. Maybe Suter forgetting how to skate backwards influenced my judgment too much.

But, given the expected deployment this season, it’s probably what should be expected.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
I don’t think there was a significant difference in play between the Top 4. Saying one was better than the other without it even being close seems wrong. Suter - Dumba gave up a pretty bad goal on a rush when Suter got caught flat-footed and seemed almost hesitant on who his man was.

we all watched the same Suter right? fumbling the puck? getting burnt? i get it was game one and i dont feel the need to bash right out of the gate as everyone needs to wake up but Suter and Dumba were not the clear cut best pair. i dont think a single pairing on our defense really stood out in a good way.

Dumba was awful in the first game, Suter wasn't that good either. I liked Brodin - Spurgeon pairing a lot more.

The analytics do not line up with the perception that the Suter-Dumba pairing were bad or not noticeably better than the rest of the defense.

J2vd7eU.png

oQgxRr4.png

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
1st GF: Brodin hits the breakout pass to Kaprizov, then rushes up to eventually score from Kap.

1st GA: Suter and Dumba both on the ice with 4 seconds left and allow Carter to get the rebound. Johansson’s man and a bad rebound, but defense needs to be there.

2nd GA: The goal in question where Suter gets caught flat footed on 4v4. His transition seemed really awkward and he needs to be a lot quicker to turn around and not let Carter get to the edge that easily. Dumba could’ve maybe done a better on preventing AA to getting to the rebound, but I don’t expect him to make that play.

3rd GA: Soucy and Pateryn on the PK so I’ll just not analyze this one.

2nd GF: Dumba flubs a shot at the net and it ends up on Kap’s stick to make the pass to Rask.

3rd GF: Suter does a good job of keeping the puck onside off of a clearing attempt and quickly fires it towards the net, Foligno ends up with the puck and makes a great shot.

These are just the scoring plays obviously, but I really didn’t see much from Suter - Dumba during the rest of the game that was impressive to me. I’ll focus on them more this game.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
The analytics do not line up with the perception that the Suter-Dumba pairing were bad or not noticeably better than the rest of the defense.

J2vd7eU.png

oQgxRr4.png

Advanced analytics on a singular game basis really don’t tell the entire story for D-men because it’s heavily skewed by forward usage, deployment, and QoC. The only thing accounted for by xGF% is shot quality IIRC.

killermiller

Kings Fan
Feb 7, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Heads up about our roster tonight, looks like our 3rd pairing of MacDermid and Walker are cleared to play. Walker plays on the second PP unit usually. Forward lines looks like they're staying the same, and Quick is the expected starter and Petersen is also cleared to be backup.

Iafallo - Kopitar - Brown
Athanasiou - Lizotte - Carter
Kempe - Vilardi - Wagner
Moore - Amadio -Luff

Maatta - Doughty
Anderson - Roy
MacDermid - Walker

Quick
Petersen

Good luck again tonight, lets hope for a little less sloppiness on both sides

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Heads up about our roster tonight, looks like our 3rd pairing of MacDermid and Walker are cleared to play. Walker plays on the second PP unit usually. Forward lines looks like they're staying the same, and Quick is the expected starter and Petersen is also cleared to be backup.

Iafallo - Kopitar - Brown
Athanasiou - Lizotte - Carter
Kempe - Vilardi - Wagner
Moore - Amadio -Luff

Maatta - Doughty
Anderson - Roy
MacDermid - Walker

Quick
Petersen

Good luck again tonight, lets hope for a little less sloppiness on both sides
Watch out for Fiala tonight, assuming the kings shift some focus to Kap after his three point night.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I don't doubt that. Doesn't mean I'm wrong though.

Defensive Pairs - Natural Stat Trick

Dumba/Suter = CF%64 FF%65 SF%69 XGF% 68 SCF 9 HDCF 5
Spurgeon/Brodin = CF% 50 FF% 43 SF% 36 XGF% 31 SCF 1 HDCF 0

Those numbers just seem so wrong to me because their play really didn’t look reminiscent of what those numbers show. I’m a proponent of advanced analytics too, but there’s just a lot of extraneous factors that can explain why the eye test isn’t matching what the numbers show. I also think actual production is important and Brodin - Spurgeon scored, while Dumba - Suter gave up 2 goals (although they both were the start of 2 GF as well).

I’ll keep a better eye on their games and usage tonight.

(Thanks for a useful resource btw. I’ve never seen that section on that site before)

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Those numbers just seem so wrong to me because their play really didn’t look reminiscent of what those numbers show. I’m a proponent of advanced analytics too, but there’s just a lot of extraneous factors that can explain why the eye test isn’t matching what the numbers show. I also think actual production is important and Brodin - Spurgeon scored, while Dumba - Suter gave up 2 goals (although they both were the start of 2 GF as well).

I’ll keep a better eye on their games and usage tonight.

(Thanks for a useful resource btw. I’ve never seen that section on that site before)
Kind of like having to try and play a 4x4 shift with Parise and Bjugstad as your forwards? Or, watching your goaltender drop a puck that was moving about 4MPH and then basically throws it into his own net with 2 seconds left in the period?

I don't think any set of analytics is going to prove much of anything over a 1 game sample, except of course, when people say someone was great/terrible during that 1 game.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Kind of like having to try and play a 4x4 shift with Parise and Bjugstad as your forwards? Or, watching your goaltender drop a puck that was moving about 4MPH and then basically throws it into his own net with 2 seconds left in the period?

I don't think any set of analytics is going to prove much of anything over a 1 game sample, except of course, when people say someone was great/terrible during that 1 game.

The only gripe I had with your comment was that I don’t think you can describe the difference in the performance between the two pairs as not being even close to equal. Maybe the advanced analytics show that, but their actual performance didn’t.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
i tried to rewatch his games from WJC and couldnt find an upper body injury that was noticeable. hopefully anytime soon means that not this week but next.
I don’t know what it means, but Rossi’s Instagram no longer says Minnesota Wild prospect, but rather ~Minnesota. Maybe it’s severe enough of an injury that the team is just going to keep him here to rehab for the season and maybe get in at some point.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I don’t know what it means, but Rossi’s Instagram no longer says Minnesota Wild prospect, but rather ~Minnesota. Maybe it’s severe enough of an injury that the team is just going to keep him here to rehab for the season and maybe get in at some point.
Maybe he fractured something without knowing it?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
The only gripe I had with your comment was that I don’t think you can describe the difference in the performance between the two pairs as not being even close to equal. Maybe the advanced analytics show that, but their actual performance didn’t.
Now you're talking about opinions. Their "actual performance" is right there in the link and numbers that I provided. How we choose to view and interpret that performance doesn't change the facts.

My own opinion of the game- Dumba/Suter had more quality plays and more poor plays than Spurgeon/Brodin. IMO, scoring chances for/against is the biggest single stat I look at for defensemen. Dumba/Suter finished really well there.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
At this point, with what's being said/not said, pray that it's actually an injury of some kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad