GDT: G2: Flames @ Caps - 7:08pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Just finished watching. That was a horror show of a game they had no business winning.

That geriatric first line is an abomination that needs to be destroyed.

It pains me to say it but Ovie has looked awful through two games.

Kuemper totally bailed them out.

Yeesh.
Well Kuemper won a Cup 2 years ago and is paid $5 million + per, so I would say he earned paycheck tonight. As the Caps #1 goalie, he should be stealing games. Shesterkin does this most nights for the Rangers, masking the flaws of their team. Vasilevskiy masks the Bolts as well. Kuemper needs to be Kolzig like for the Caps to win games.

Regarding OV, we have seen look out of shape rusty before. As the team gels better, learns Carbery's system, OV will get this goal scoring touch back. If at the 10 game mark OV has no goals yet, then we can start to worry.

Reactions: Rockingred12

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Obviously the first line is the biggest concern right now, and it's not particularly surprising given the recent play of those players in the past couple seasons.

But my secondary concern right now is the play of Jensen and TvR (and the defense in general). If their regression is more of a long-term thing, and not just early season/new partner/new coach jitters, that will spell a lot of issues for the back-end.
Give it a few, I didn't love them either but they're smart players probably working with new interchanges and breakouts, they don't look broken or slow, just doing what might be the wrong thing at times.

Reactions: PlushMinus

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Strome needs to be moved to top line and top PP duty pretty much immediately. He had two fewer minutes at 5v5 than both Kuznetsov and Backstrom in a game they never led.

I'm doing something like:

Ovechkin-Strome-Wilson/Phillips
Milano-Backstrom-Wilson/Phillips
McMichael-Kuznetsov-Oshie
Malenstyn-Dowd-Protas

It's not great. I'd prefer McMichael at 2C but does Kuznetsov really move to the wing?

Really tough puzzle to figure out. Hard to imagine Backstrom or Oshie really elevating their games to a top 6 level. Ovechkin I can at least see happening as the season goes on, though of course he's had a poor start. Same with Kuznetsov I guess if he gets his head on straight.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Strome needs to be moved to top line and top PP duty pretty much immediately. He had two fewer minutes at 5v5 than both Kuznetsov and Backstrom in a game they never led.

Malenstyn-Dowd-Protas

It's not great. I'd prefer McMichael at 2C but does Kuznetsov really move to the wing?

Really tough puzzle to figure out. Hard to imagine Backstrom or Oshie really elevating their games to a top 6 level. Ovechkin I can at least see happening as the season goes on, though of course he's had a poor start. Same with Kuznetsov I guess if he gets his head on straight.
I think your edit is a better fit, let Milano and Phillips keep doing their thing, Backstrom should be able to hang there. McMichael gets real screwed though, he's going to have a hard time single-handedly generating if Kuznetsov's off and Oshie's behind the play but there isn't really a fix until somebody goes down or Mantha begins his Super Saiyan arc

Reactions: HecticGlow

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal

Malenstyn-Dowd-Protas

This style of play should excite Kuzy, and it was nice seeing him fired up at the end of the game. He was also pretty engaged on PK. To play any kind of possession game, they need him to marginally step it up, and pressure opposing defenses.

I am actually most worried about Backstrom. I was pleasantly surprised by his skating in the preseason, and thought maybe he’d be effective again. But, man, he has looked totally lost (outside of operating the PP). I don’t know if it’s that he just can’t fight through NHL contact anymore with his limitations. He should be in the best shape he’s going to be after a full offseason training healthy. Maybe his timing will improve to help mitigate his athletic deficiencies. But, no way he should be getting more 5v5 time than Strome.

I’d definitely like to see CMM get some time at center, however that looks (Kuzy at wing, or Backy sitting). He’s looked confident, and is making smart plays with the puck. But, that’s obviously a change for later into the season as we see how things shake out.

Last edited:

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
This style of play should excite Kuzy, and it was nice seeing him fired up at the end of the game. He was also pretty engaged on PK. To play any kind of possession game, they need him to marginally step it up, and pressure opposing defenses.

I am actually most worried about Backstrom. I was pleasantly surprised by his skating in the preseason, and thought maybe he’d be effective again. But, man, he has looked totally lost (outside of operating the PP). I don’t know if it’s that he just can’t fight through NHL contact anymore with his limitations. He should be in the best shape he’s going to be after a full offseason training healthy. Maybe his timing will improve to help mitigate his athletic deficiencies. But, no way he should be getting more 5v5 time than Strome.

I’d definitely like to see CMM get some time at center, however that looks (Kuzy at wing, or Backy sitting). He’s looked confident, and is making smart plays with the puck. But, that’s obviously a change for later into the season as we see how things shake out.
This is why I think twabby is right about sticking Backstrom between Milano and Phillips, he's still making good touches and but with no speed there's never anyone open, so cumulatively the line just gets dragged straight into the underworld. Getting Backstrom faster linemates gives him an avenue to give and go and be a smart, handsy bumper if he's not open enough.

Now, I didn't think Phillips was that fast in the preseason and he's not a burner, but I think we saw today that he can use his good reads to wheel out and make some space. He basically replicated his preseason debuts with a bad first game and then a real good second one, so who knows how it goes on average but on days like tonight he's fast enough for this team to consider him fast so that line has some potential. Smart players all around.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Expected goal % of each of the top 6 except for McMichael was 25% or less against a not very good team. Those 5 guys and Mantha take up half the cap.

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010

Yikes at the bottom of the chart. It's not easy to make changes after a win, but they gotta make changes. One of those changes needs to be Top Line Matty P

If the top 3 players on the list are Phillips, Strome, and Milano I'm not sure you touch that line.

Reactions: bacchist

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
It was an ugly game, but I'll take it. They got better every period and started to actually create some chances (except the top line). Still a long way to go, but it's promising that we were able to see incremental improvement.

Next thing we need to do is fix that top line. This is still Ovie's team, and we sink or swim with him, so we have to find a way to get him going. He is far from old and washed up, but he's at a point in his career where he doesn't have the speed anymore to make clean zone entries and he's never been a guy who's good along the walls with puck battles. What he can do effectively is position himself for a shot, which is still lethal. He just hasn't gotten the opportunity to get it off in the first 2 games. That line is always chasing possession and can't create any opportunities because of it. I think Ovie needs someone who can forecheck, retrieve pucks, and win battles on the boards.

The best forecheck comes from your wingers, and I know a lot of you are enamored with Phillips, but I don't think he would be a good fit to play with Ovie. Putting him in there gives a little more speed, but none of the other attributes that they need. I truly think that Ovie and Wilson need to play together. Wilson has speed, forechecking, and he can win battles on the boards and make nice chip plays.

I would either move Ovie down to Kuznetsov's line (Ovie, Kuz, Wilson) or you move Wilson up to Backstroms line (Ovie, Backstrom, Wilson). Establish an identity for the line and I think things will work out a lot better. No matter what, Carbury has to make some changes, because It's clear that this is not working, and I don't think it's because of the new system.

Oh, and one more thing. Give the Strome line more ice time!

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I have no idea how they won this, it propably should have been 0-4 in the first 10 minutes but who cares. Nobody is counting anything other than the points.

Kuemper and Kuznetsov (shoot-out goat) building up that trade value along with young guys doing well. There's your foundation for this season. Let's hope the veterans wake up at some point and a team that needs SO help sees Kuznetsov as their solution.

Reactions: Neil Racki

DanTHEMan71

Feb 23, 2010
Seems like basically everyone here has come to the same conclusion. Strome needs to be centering Ovi. I'd keep Milano and Phillips together until they slow down, but the top 6 desperately needs Strome.

Backy should be pinned to 3C for the season, he has no business in the top 6 anymore and needs less minutes to get the most out of his shifts. Kuzy and Strome are by far our top 2 centers so keep them in the top 6. Stop overusing Backstrom, unless is a secret ploy to grind him into early retirement... We could use that $9.2M elsewhere...

Whatever they come up with, just keep Ovi, Backy, and Oshie separated at ALL times at even strength. Don't even pair two of them together on an ES line ever again. Old players can play together, but not these 3. Literally all 3 have no legs. Backy and Oshie are done, but Ovi should heat up soon.

Please keep Carlson and Sandin separated. That should seem obvious.

PP units could be shaken up. But we'll see if they figure it out before they do so. Still early, but the PP hasn't been dangerous at all so far.

All of these lineup changes seem obvious. Let's see how long it takes Carbery and the staff to do something.

Last edited:

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010

Malenstyn-Dowd-Protas

Wasn't that a girl group (excuse the term)? Daughters of Brian Wilson and John/Michelle Phillips?

• Love
Reactions: Ridley Simon

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS! :m-dance:

still only gm2 and very far from any RS routines to be established but some good positives

+
recovered from that 1st pd
held CGY scoreless last 45+ mins
PK much better
Kuemper
Milano-Strome-Phillips did pretty well (comparatively)
1-1 is better than 9 other teams and haven't been blown out of the water like EDM's 8-1 drubbing v VAN

let's see if a road game helps the team play together more and bond and some of the olds start getting in gear

onwards...

Reactions: Neil Racki

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Sponsor
Feb 7, 2013
I'm really tired of seeing ovi out there for the full 2 minutes every power play. He's almost always just standing there, not contributing. Isn't there somebody else that can rip it wide twice and fail to keep the puck in the zone?

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Second game in a row Sandin has looked bad. His decision making is awful - he's routinely failing to identify open players and the passes he does make correctly are sloppy.

Reactions: Raikkonen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad