GDT: G18: Red tank @ Shark Tank - 10:30pm zzzzzzz

Status
Not open for further replies.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Im inventing a new stat. It's called Conspiracies against/60. This game had the Caps at 8 conspiracies against/60. Five by the manufacturers of the SJ goalframe who intentionally made it a little bigger than the Capitals goalframe and then 3 by the referees for calling two shit penalties and letting Kuzy get crosschecked to the ice about 10 km from the puck.

Also, spent most of the game watching Kuzy. I think he has some sort of hatred for systems going on. So smooth with both dangles and skating, then he stops and decides to stickhandle standing still.

Seriously, like 50% of the time the correct and obvious play is there but he chooses to do something else. And if a bum like me can see that the right choice is to put it on the dasher, it's impossible that Kuzy can't. So it's probably just a refusal to do the right thing.

And it's pretty weird complaining about Ovi's conditioning. He's probably the most consistently high-scoring and physical player in their thirties ever. Of course a 38 year old won't be as fast as they were when they were 25.

He needs to stop trying to stickhandle though.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I think in certain situations where Ovi gets the puck and hes at a stop/no momentum/no speed .. he is looking to quickly pass the puck on. He knows he doesnt have the ability to get his speed up to play speed.

We have seen a ton more of those slap passes to traffic in front vs his shooting to score

Scoring is going to be harder and harder for our guy.

hes 38 with a diet out a 1982 mid westerner
I’m not saying there hasn’t been a change in what he’s doing right now, I’m saying there’s nothing to suggest that the Capitals are trying too hard to feed him for the goals chase or that they’re so surprised that he’s passing instead that it’s ending plays due to the aforementioned “need to feed” Ovechkin for goals.

It’s also strange to me that both here and on the mains, people have been saying “age won’t take the shot away” and now that’s exactly what we’re saying because he’s… what? Scared to shoot now? Ovechkin?

I just don’t think it’s that simple, and you don’t make a whole career out of willing pucks into the net and then suddenly get scared to try and fail.

Reactions: koalabear9301

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
I’m not saying there hasn’t been a change in what he’s doing right now, I’m saying there’s nothing to suggest that the Capitals are trying too hard to feed him for the goals chase or that they’re so surprised that he’s passing instead that it’s ending plays due to the aforementioned “need to feed” Ovechkin for goals.

It’s also strange to me that both here and on the mains, people have been saying “age won’t take the shot away” and now that’s exactly what we’re saying because he’s… what? Scared to shoot now? Ovechkin?

I just don’t think it’s that simple, and you don’t make a whole career out of willing pucks into the net and then suddenly get scared to try and fail.
Yeah I dont think hes scared to shoot, thats what the man does .. I think hes intentionally conscious to not hold the puck for more than a second, especially if hes at a stand still.

its either shoot or pass right away .. which given his age and the speed of the game, not a bad approach

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Caps deserved a better fate, plenty of chances, plenty of posts
slim line between up 2-0 in the 1st and down 1-0
At some point that shooting % has to get better

At least we'll back to regularly scheduled games for awhile (date-wise, not 1038 EST puckdrop-wise)

Reactions: Calicaps

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
This sort of excuse the Caps had bad luck again is becoming old. As the season progresses, the more games they go w/ out scoring a PP goal the harder it will be to win games against any team. Caps lost this game or at least to tie up to force OT was because of their atrocious PP. Sharks won this game because of their PP, which they are scoring at a 20% rate. In my book, you make your own luck even when things are not going right. Good teams still find a way to win, even when things are not going right.

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
This sort of excuse the Caps had bad luck again is becoming old. As the season progresses, the more games they go w/ out scoring a PP goal the harder it will be to win games against any team. Caps lost this game or at least to tie up to force OT was because of their atrocious PP. Sharks won this game because of their PP, which they are scoring at a 20% rate. In my book, you make your own luck even when things are not going right. Good teams still find a way to win, even when things are not going right.
Yep, at some point you make your own luck.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Current Team shooting % = lowest of OV era
Current OV shooting % = lowest of career
That's bad luck. Even if it doesn't fit your narrative
9-1-1 streak was mostly good luck. (or b/c Good teams still find a way to win, even with a bad PP right? )
But it comes with a free frogurt (that's good)
The frogurt is also cursed (that's bad)

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Here’s what I’m having a hard time understanding: with the second best point percentage in their division (2-4 games in hand at this point, percentage seemed best) and the worst PP in the league, isn’t that kind of the same definition of finding ways to win even things aren’t going right?

Isn’t that a good team? What’s the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad