GDT: G18: Red tank @ Shark Tank - 10:30pm zzzzzzz

Status
Not open for further replies.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
f*** are you talking about dude, Ovechkin's passing up shots like crazy this year...
OV is losing faith in his goal scoring ability, so he's passing the puck off for other teammates to score. OV's game is scoring goals and not being a Backstrom. The rest of the team is use to OV shooting a lot, so they get surprised when he passes the puck off.

Good point. Unlike me and my love life, the Capitals sure did lay a lot of pipe tonight.
Are you trying to use reverse psychology on me?!!

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
OV is losing faith in his goal scoring ability, so he's passing the puck off for other teammates to score. OV's game is scoring goals and not being a Backstrom. The rest of the team is use to OV shooting a lot, so they get surprised when he passes the puck off.

Are you trying to use reverse psychology on me?!!
Yeah that's bullshit, friend.

Pretty steep backpedal from "everyone's trying too hard to get Ovechkin to score."

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Well, a tough loss but im not as down about this one as most seem to be. Sharks arent the trash they were the first 12 games, and we had what, like 6 posts? And Blackwood going all Halak on us too. We were absolutely snakebitten today. Should have got this one. Even PP had good looks for once.

What i do worry is that these kind of games we need to win in the long run, and we already have a couple of these losses in the bag. We arent in position to lose games we should have won. Need to find a way. Good thing is we’ve got couple we shouldnt have to win to balance, but id rather have the luck on our side than in balance… we need some luck on our way to make it to the playoffs.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles

Pretty steep backpedal from "everyone's trying too hard to get Ovechkin to score."
I think you may have misread his (admittedly ambiguous) post. I think he was saying the Hockey Gods want the Caps to forget about trying to play well and should instead focus on helping Ovie get the record.

But maybe i’m the one misreading it. That’s very possible :)

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

Start of the season, there were plenty of instances of teammates trying to force feed OV the puck to score goals(it still does happen). The opponent was easily picking off those passes. This teams vets have terribly adjusted to Carbery's system. The younger players are looking like the vets, while the real vets look like rookies. The Caps offense and scoring goals is just a mess right now. The team are actually getting good shots on goal that for the NHL norm would be goals, but frustratingly they are hitting a good deal of posts.

In hockey, when things aren't going right you go back to basics and work hard to score your goals. The team is not even doing that right now. I'm sure the coaches are preaching this, but the vet players(who should be setting the examples for the younger players) are playing worse than the rookies/younger players.

BMac needs to do 1 or 2 shakeup trades to snap the team out of this goal scoring funk!

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Well, a tough loss but im not as down about this one as most seem to be. Sharks arent the trash they were the first 12 games, and we had what, like 6 posts? And Blackwood going all Halak on us too. We were absolutely snakebitten today. Should have got this one. Even PP had good looks for once.

What i do worry is that these kind of games we need to win in the long run, and we already have a couple of these losses in the bag. We arent in position to lose games we should have won. Need to find a way. Good thing is we’ve got couple we shouldnt have to win to balance, but id rather have the luck on our side than in balance… we need some luck on our way to make it to the playoffs.
I wouldn’t mind the loss if i’d seen more passion or effort. So many passengers tonight. So much cheat in our game, not stopping on pucks, not tying up sticks, not winning board battles. We can moan about puck luck all we want, but the Sharks — without Hertl, Couture, Barabanov — wanted it more. I expected more urgency after the debacle at home against EDM.

Kuz, Ovie, Strome, Milano, Wilson… i thought they were pretty uninspired. And i don’t even know what to say about the PP.

I wish we could unload Kuz, Kuemper, and Mantha

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Sharks arent as bad at home 5-6-2 after this and they have gotten things together a little after a horrible start. Still this should have been a win, but it happens. Caps have stolen a lot of games this year aswell will loose some they deserve to win aswell.

Team need to step up as a lot of hard games are up next.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

When the worst team in the league is averaging less than 2 goals per game but their PP is clicking at a 20% rate with less skilled players, while the Caps PP is operating at below 6% with higher skilled players, then something is terribly wrong with both the coaching and the players! If they are not clicking on the fancy plays, then you go back to the basics and work your @SS off to try to score PP goals. I don't think this roster is even doing that. I see very little net front presence(at least two players) on the PP's. I see it from a lot of other teams where they create pressure down low around the goalie taking advantage of being a man up or scoring on rebounds. The Caps don't do it. All they were programmed to do was OV blasting pucks from inside the circle for lots of goals, on occasion Carlson put a few in from the point or the bumper player tipping it in. Also Backy/Kuzy being parts of the pinball machine feeding the bumper nice passes to score from in between the dots. Those options have all been completely shut down by the opponents PK and I might add that just about every teams PK skates faster then when the Caps PP was in their prime many years ago.

The Caps PP is now lazy and complacent. They don't win battles along the boards, they don't do quick touch passing and constantly moving on their feet(doing this increases the chance the opponents PK will end up out of position to block a shot or get in the passing lanes), they don't shoot pucks when there are open lanes, for tips/redirects/rebounds. This team does not seem to want to work hard enough on their PP to get out of this long drought!

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Sharks arent as bad at home 5-6-2 after this and they have gotten things together a little after a horrible start. Still this should have been a win, but it happens. Caps have stolen a lot of games this year aswell will loose some they deserve to win aswell.

Team need to step up as a lot of hard games are up next.
They got the Kings next! Kings are the 2nd highest scoring team in the NHL! Shark got 2 tonight, then the Kings might get 5 or 6 on the Caps, Wednesday night!

I think you may have misread his (admittedly ambiguous) post. I think he was saying the Hockey Gods want the Caps to forget about trying to play well and should instead focus on helping Ovie get the record.

But maybe i’m the one misreading it. That’s very possible :)
Forget about helping OV and focus on playing as a team to score goals and win. If they do that, the goals will come for OV too.

Reactions: troyerlaw

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
When the worst team in the league is averaging less than 2 goals per game but their PP is clicking at a 20% rate with less skilled players, while the Caps PP is operating at below 6% with higher skilled players, then something is terribly wrong with both the coaching and the players! If they are not clicking on the fancy plays, then you go back to the basics and work your @SS off to try to score PP goals. I don't think this roster is even doing that. I see very little net front presence(at least two players) on the PP's. I see it from a lot of other teams where they create pressure down low around the goalie taking advantage of being a man up or scoring on rebounds. The Caps don't do it. All they were programmed to do was OV blasting pucks from inside the circle for lots of goals, on occasion Carlson put a few in from the point or the bumper player tipping it in. Also Backy/Kuzy being parts of the pinball machine feeding the bumper nice passes to score from in between the dots. Those options have all been completely shut down by the opponents PK and I might add that just about every teams PK skates faster then when the Caps PP was in their prime many years ago.

The Caps PP is now lazy and complacent. They don't win battles along the boards, they don't do quick touch passing and constantly moving on their feet(doing this increases the chance the opponents PK will end up out of position to block a shot or get in the passing lanes), they don't shoot pucks when there are open lanes, for tips/redirects/rebounds. This team does not seem to want to work hard enough on their PP to get out of this long drought!

Well, i dont disagree with PP sucking and didnt really address that so didnt expect to defend that one :)

Though this game had propably best PP this season so far, so maybe a little glimpse of hope with that. Just for first 2 minutes they had Ovie blasting a post, Wilson failing to score from goal line and CMM with a high quality chance. Puck moving looked a bit faster from the abysmal pp we’ve had the pain to watch this year.

Edit. Just one of those games.. we score the first on any of those and Sharks might fold. Them getting the first goal and their goalie standing tall gave them the juice to put us in tight. And just saying, Sharks have outworked few other teams lately aswell, not just us. Its not like its something outrageous. They turned it around. Sure they will be in bottom5 at the end of it, but its NHL - the talent level is there and they will squeeze a win occasionally. I dont expect us to outwork our opponent every night. We are old. Id hope we still have talent to win these games, as we should tonight if we had any luck at all.

The Oilers game was just bad all around and thats the game i was ”disgusted” about. This wasnt great but only thing we really lacked was the result, one of those 5-6 posts in and nobody complains about getting a 2-1 W away with pretty composed and mature defensive game.

Last edited:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Well, they propably didn't deserve to beat the Sharks at home so seems like this evens that out.

This might be a one long road trip... No more easiest schedule in the NHL for us.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
The end of the game we had a faceoff in the sharks zone. Ovie lined up on the top right circle on the inside. With no shot option interesting set up. It worked Kuz won the faceoff right to Ovie but it lead to a crappy outside shot from Strome.

I dont think ive ever seen Ovie on a faceoff without a shot in play.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
wtf the sharks suck. how did we lose to them.
They have gone 5-1-1 in the last 7 home games. So they have started doing a little better at least. Not totally lost like they where in the start of the season.

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
They hit the post 4 times and Blackwood stopped at least 3 golden opportunities. Then add in the refs managing to call sandin on a trip while he was getting tackled and fever for a high stick on a follow through (which led to the gw ppg). The caps greatly outplayed San Jose just a dumb game.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
Catching up on what happened after early in P2 and it seems like this game followed the usual script for Caps' games this season. Where's the leadership for this team? Among the guys with letters, 8 was never visibly very vocal, so it's up to 43 and 74 now. We'll never know, but what are they doing to shake up the guys in the room?

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish

I think in certain situations where Ovi gets the puck and hes at a stop/no momentum/no speed .. he is looking to quickly pass the puck on. He knows he doesnt have the ability to get his speed up to play speed.

We have seen a ton more of those slap passes to traffic in front vs his shooting to score

Scoring is going to be harder and harder for our guy.

hes 38 with a diet out a 1982 mid westerner

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think in certain situations where Ovi gets the puck and hes at a stop/no momentum/no speed .. he is looking to quickly pass the puck on. He knows he doesnt have the ability to get his speed up to play speed.

We have seen a ton more of those slap passes to traffic in front vs his shooting to score

Scoring is going to be harder and harder for our guy.

hes 38 with a diet out a 1982 mid westerner

You think he takes poor care of himself? I’d be shocked.

Reactions: Neil Racki
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad