GDT: G14: City of Lost Wages @ Chocolate City - 7:08pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
AHL Champions > NHL Champions

Lindgren led all goalies is basically every advanced goalie stat / P60 even before this game so nice to see him upgrading his numbers with Thatcher Demko closing in.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
For one night he played like Tinordi. For a former 1st round pick and mostly AHL guy, it's nice to see games like this even if it's temporary. Who knows maybe being Hershey's Captain and maturity might bring something for him.

Yeah, he looked good. It was also nice to see Kolesars surprise exclamation of: "He's strong".

That's a good effect to have on your opponents.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Performance in last night's game in terms of expected goals for %, by line, in order from best to worst (via NaturalStatTrick)

- Strome line (67%)
- Dowd line (54%)
- McMike line (53%)

Big gap

- Joel Ward, Chandler Stephenson, and George McPhee (5.7 expected beers chugged per hour)
- Mantha, Edmundson, and Patches (4.3 plates of nachos consumed per hour)
- @John Price (4 open bar drinks per period)

Nobody else to mention, right?
...right?
Oh, look, all the way down here...

- Kuznetsov line (12%) :help:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Performance in last night's game in terms of expected goals for %, by line, in order from best to worst (via NaturalStatTrick)

- Strome line (67%)
- Dowd line (54%)
- McMike line (53%)

Big gap

- Joel Ward, Chandler Stephenson, and George McPhee (5.7 expected beers chugged per hour)

...right?

This is why despite all the good vibes so far they still need major roster surgery to be able to accomplish anything.

I hesitate to use GAR stats this early in the season because there can be rapid shifts after a single game, but Kuznetsov and Oshie rate as the two worst players in the NHL in terms of GAR. Carlson (3rd percentile), Wilson (5th percentile), and Ovechkin (7th percentile) aren't much higher.

Again these stats have a ton of noise in them this early in the season but they're consistent with what we know: their most expensive players are being carried by their depth players and it's been that way for a few years. They need to find a way to shed Oshie at the very least and Kuznetsov by next offseason so they can make meaningful moves. And hope Wilson and Carlson turn it around.

Reactions: tycoonheart

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013

- Strome line (67%)
- Dowd line (54%)
- McMike line (53%)

Big gap

...right?

Phillips line leading the pack. Who'd have guessed that?

• Wow
Reactions: twabby

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Phillips line leading the pack. Who'd have guessed that?

1700055052253.gif

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
No. Think this team needs a rebuild.

Very odd post after a win against the best team in the league. Can't tell if you partake in the herbal arts or perhaps need an introduction. :naughty:

ps I think we're watching a rebuild...just not fast enough for some apparently.
pps This is a GDT, think you're seeking the 'Roster thread'.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Part of the reason why they are playing well and winning games is because their compete level is very high right now. I'm not sure what Carbery is saying to them but its working. Even Kuzy, who probably is their worst forward right now, I THINK is trying his hardest - its just that the guy can't help but make some dumb decisions. I'm really hoping Carbery can fix him.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
This is why despite all the good vibes so far they still need major roster surgery to be able to accomplish anything.

I hesitate to use GAR stats this early in the season because there can be rapid shifts after a single game, but Kuznetsov and Oshie rate as the two worst players in the NHL in terms of GAR. Carlson (3rd percentile), Wilson (5th percentile), and Ovechkin (7th percentile) aren't much higher.

Again these stats have a ton of noise in them this early in the season but they're consistent with what we know: their most expensive players are being carried by their depth players and it's been that way for a few years. They need to find a way to shed Oshie at the very least and Kuznetsov by next offseason so they can make meaningful moves. And hope Wilson and Carlson turn it around.
I think we've been saying for a while that BMac and team have done a terrific job putting solid depth pieces around the core players and the core players aren't holding up their end of the bargain. There's just not much you can realistically change when Kuznetsov, Backstrom, and Oshie are counting $23M against your cap and they're all below replacement level. Ovechkin is still the team leader in points and Carlson has been great to start the season so I don't put as much into their stats. Ovi realistically could and should be at PPG (or more) this season to date if not for some really bad finishing luck.

Backstrom is on the shelf now and to the surprise of no one, the team is playing better. McMichael and Dowd have added a lot of stability and mobility to the lineup since their return and it shows. They need to figure out how to dump Kuznetsov and Oshie.

If we want to look at the bright side, they're playing well in spite of their oldest and most expensive players and those players will be mostly gone in a season or two and there's some real talent lining up behind them.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
No. Think this team needs a rebuild.
They need a rebuild based on... what, exactly? They do not need a rebuild. A rebuild is the last thing any organization should want to do because it sucks ass and there's no guarantee for if or when the rebuild is over. Want to be the Sharks right now? Hard pass. They should try to retool and if that doesn't work then in a few years you take another look at your options.

There is too much depth and talent for them to completely tear it down. What they need to do is tread water and do what they can to compete over the next two seasons while they're still saddled with some expensive anchors with their focus really being on building the team for 2025-26 and beyond. There's a good young nucleus here with guys like Strome, McMichael, Protas, Milano, Malenstyn, Sandin, and Feverbaby along with some kids like Miro, Cristall, Leonard, Iorio, and Chesley developing nicely who should be ready for the big boys in 2-3 years. Their cap structure is in a really nice place.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Nice, surprising shutout against the best team in the league. That’s a huge confidence booster.

Didn’t watch the game, but from the highlights, my impression is that Lindgren went full 2010 Halak on them.

- Unsustainable goaltending?

I did watch the game and it actually reminded me of that series but not just Lindgren. Lindgren was excellent but he didn’t actually have to stand in his head. The Caps had a very effective shell around him with 5 players cleaning up rebounds and blocking shots.

Reactions: Alexander the Gr8

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Very odd post after a win against the best team in the league. Can't tell if you partake in the herbal arts or perhaps need an introduction. :naughty:

ps I think we're watching a rebuild...just not fast enough for some apparently.
pps This is a GDT, think you're seeking the 'Roster thread'.
Can't really say that they're the best team in the league. They're probably better than the underlying stats suggest (middle of the pack), but I do expect them to cool off a bit.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Anyone that parlayed a Lindgren shutout, and a McIlrath TKO, enjoy retirement.

In other good news, the kids are alright. Time to give Jimi a shot, as Phillips looks like a mite on ice.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Anyone that parlayed a Lindgren shutout, and a McIlrath TKO, enjoy retirement.

The fight was whatever but that hit was glorious. Absolutely clean and also brutal.

The NHL really should start calling instigators for guys who attack other players after clean hits long after the puck is gone. I do not know why they continue to allow that with no rules-based consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino