GDT: G14: City of Lost Wages @ Chocolate City - 7:08pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
We may be having slightly different discussions just based on our viewpoints here.

What I mean when I say that is, like... Phillips is no doubt a very high IQ player who knows how to hustle for the pucks that really matter and make plays on them, and that's great. It's got a lot of value, and I don't even deny that he should probably stick around.

But if you can get a guy even close to that who won't be erased from the play as often, that's got a lot of value too. and so Phillips comes at a disadvantage where you'd hope to see one more elite tool

This is fair. I don't think he's a top line talent or anything (though maybe on this team he is given the alternatives). It's just odd seeing some people say he's not an NHLer.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I fully expect them to get boat-raced. Vegas is arguably best team in the league and the Caps are putting out a MASH unit.

I love how the Caps are making it all work, but tonite ain’t happening…..let’s try and get 4pts outta 6 on the home stand though
Very happy to be wrong. Was the “reverse jinx”….yeah, that’s it. That’s what it was.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
You lose money tonight?

7ce93c4bbabb1d024366f549c62b2b0f.gif
No. Think this team needs a rebuild.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
Can someone--briefly--explain what's leading to our success? I'm also super busy this time of year and I've only watched 4 games. From an almost outsider perspective it would seem like coaching and the new system, depth and growth of young players, and unsustainable goaltending.

I guess my question is, is it possible this is the team on average, or is this level of success unsustainable. Anyone with analytic knowledge please share because I never look at them but do appreciate the conversation.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Sponsor
Feb 7, 2013
This is fair. I don't think he's a top line talent or anything (though maybe on this team he is given the alternatives). It's just odd seeing some people say he's not an NHLer.
Last year before Carlsen got injured and the wheels came off, Ovie-Strome-Sheary was a decent top line. I could see him playing Sheary's role there.

He's not going to be an all star, but there are a lot of aspects to his game that are so underappreciated.

Can someone--briefly--explain what's leading to our success? I'm also super busy this time of year and I've only watched 4 games. From an almost outsider perspective it would seem like coaching and the new system, depth and growth of young players, and unsustainable goaltending.

I guess my question is, is it possible this is the team on average, of is this level of success unsustainable. Anyone with analytic knowledge please share because I never look at them but do appreciate the conversation.
They've been winning a lot of games they should have lost. Analytics are kind of ugly.

Reactions: twabby

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
No. Think this team needs a rebuild.
They are. They traded Orlov for Sandin, got a new coach, and drafted Leonard and Cristall. There's not much to do about the old geezers as they have no value. But despite the big contracts we're stuck with, plenty of new forwards and defensemen have played on this team this year.

I think what you want is a tank.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
You have to give the team some credit especially in how the season started and it looked like all was lost.

Happy for Carberry as he seems like a smart and good dude.
I don't think anybody who wasn't ready to leap from the ledge already thought that.

New coaches can take a minute to establish what they want done. Frankly, I saw them improve in pretty measured waves that looked very deliberate and now we're seeing most of the team get what they're supposed to be doing.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Chucky Sideburns was unreal tonight! I saw something from the Carbery coached Caps that I rarely ever saw from 5 years of Kevin/Lavi coached teams. Awesome team defense! Blocking shots, staying with their man, taking the passing lanes away, protecting the middle in between the circles, taking away the backdoor play, PK at a level even better than last season. Carbery is giving and trusting all the Hershey guys that Lavi wouldn't unless he was forced to by injuries to put them in the lineup.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Chucky Sideburns was unreal tonight! I saw something from the Carbery coached Caps that I rarely ever saw from 5 years of Kevin/Lavi coached teams. Awesome team defense! Blocking shots, staying with their man, taking the passing lanes away, protecting the middle in between the circles, taking away the backdoor play, PK at a level even better than last season. Carbery is giving and trusting all the Hershey guys that Lavi wouldn't unless he was forced to by injuries to put them in the lineup.
Happy that they're winning but I didn't love the team D tonight at all. They gave up a bunch of high danger chances including multiple breakaways.

It was a good old fashioned goalie bailout kind of night.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
They are. They traded Orlov for Sandin, got a new coach, and drafted Leonard and Cristall. There's not much to do about the old geezers as they have no value. But despite the big contracts we're stuck with, plenty of new forwards and defensemen have played on this team this year.

I think what you want is a tank.
Not a tank. I want Wilson dealt for value while he has it. I love him but he proabbly won't be useful when this team might need him in a few years.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Wilson is plenty useful and will be an important part of the transition. You are seeing an appropriate amount of youth being injected into the lineup over last year, this year, and looking at next two years, but don’t be fooled… veterans are very important part of a productive team.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Who called 3-0 Caps? Not me!

Mustasche warrior defeats silly knights. CMM looking like a legit #2C and we're apparently a great 5 v 5 team. Imagine if Forsythe was still here to run the PP. We might lead the league.

All jokes aside, impressive effort from all players and im reluctantly hopeful for a playoff spot.

HM to Mcilrath for playing a role this team needs.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
They've been winning a lot of games they should have lost. Analytics are kind of ugly.

Sure, but thats a thing when you lack in some aspects of analytical sweetheart stuff, but have a team commitment. This team is battling for wins at the moment, and being backed by good goaltending. Some "new coach" magic running and lets hope Carbery can keep the moods up and commtiment on this level. The real test will be later, when tear and wear starts to show more. Can we still battle wins in january/february, and how will we react to losing streaks (that are inevitably coming).

Hershey's winning attitude, understanding of commitment is showing on our "young" AHL-talent. CMM, Malenstyn, Johansen, even McIlrath. They arent great at NHL-level based on only talent, but they are doing a lot of small things right. And id think thats also something that catches on, seeing your young smaller roles guys coming in ready and playing "the right way". Boosts confifence all around. Its usually other way around, but right now the success of Hershey is propably giving us some fruits.

Also, lot of people arent happy breaking out the Ovie-Strome-Willy line, but thats propably best for the team as a unit right now. It isnt about just one line clicking. Carbery needs to find balance and 2-3 lines were struggling when the 8-17-43 line was rocking. And the way he is force feeding "leader role" and ice time for Kuzy, im seeing it as a way to get Kuzy committed to the process aswell. This is a guy who has been unhappy for a long time. If the new coach just immediately throws him out of the mix, thats likely not going to help. Getting Kuzy back on wheels is the nr 1 thing Caps need to make a it a run for playoff spot.

Reactions: tycoonheart

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Who called 3-0 Caps? Not me!

Mustasche warrior defeats silly knights. CMM looking like a legit #2C and we're apparently a great 5 v 5 team. Imagine if Forsythe was still here to run the PP. We might lead the league.

All jokes aside, impressive effort from all players and im reluctantly hopeful for a playoff spot.

HM to Mcilrath for playing a role this team needs.

For one night he played like Tinordi. For a former 1st round pick and mostly AHL guy, it's nice to see games like this even if it's temporary. Who knows maybe being Hershey's Captain and maturity might bring something for him.

Reactions: YippieKaey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad