Not open for further replies.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
alcohol-alcoholic.gif

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
First shutout win since January 19th against the Coyotes. Oh how I've missed these!

Side note: the Caps lost the next game after each of their 5 shutouts last year. I'm going to the game on Saturday so can we please break that streak?

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Should trade Wilson and get a buttload of futures. We aren't good. Keep ovinto go for the record, but trade any other 27yo+ guys that can get good futures.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It still matters, don't know a non-sports way to explain it

Surely it matters. Winning those battles will certainly yield better overall results.

But I think the forest is being missed for the trees again. Why hyperfocus on certain things he's bad at while ignoring the bigger things he appears to be good at, such as playing a responsible two-way game? More than every Capital he avoids getting hemmed in his own zone according to the numbers, for instance. His individual impact on chances against is the best on the team right now, according to RAPM.

It seems like another instance of results being ignored in favor of nitpicks. If he's such a bad player then why do the results suggest otherwise?

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Surely it matters. Winning those battles will certainly yield better overall results.

But I think the forest is being missed for the trees again. Why hyperfocus on certain things he's bad at while ignoring the bigger things he appears to be good at, such as playing a responsible two-way game? More than every Capital he avoids getting hemmed in his own zone according to the numbers, for instance.

It seems like another instance of results being ignored in favor of nitpicks.
We may be having slightly different discussions just based on our viewpoints here.

What I mean when I say that is, like... Phillips is no doubt a very high IQ player who knows how to hustle for the pucks that really matter and make plays on them, and that's great. It's got a lot of value, and I don't even deny that he should probably stick around.

But if you can get a guy even close to that who won't be erased from the play as often, that's got a lot of value too. and so Phillips comes at a disadvantage where you'd hope to see one more elite tool

Reactions: alphabetical
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad