G Trey Augustine - Michigan State, NCAA (2023, 41st, DET)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Had 28 of 30 saves beating the same #1 team for the second day running.

Now has a .913 SV%, which is 10th of 29 goalies that have played 10 games or more. Considering he’s the youngest goalie in the NCAA this year, that’s pretty good.

Reactions: Brent Burns Beard

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
I really appreciate the game updates, they are mostly going well it seems.

I am also interested if anyone has seen him play and can tell me how confident he looks in his crease.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
It’s all gonna come down to his size. If he was 6’3” or taller, he’d likely be considered, the best goaltender prospect in the world. He’s that talented.

It’s always gonna come down to, if he can be this same goaltender at the NHL level. Every step of the way so far, he’s answered those critics.

It’ll be interesting too, how long he stays at MSU. He’s super polished already in many ways. I’m guessing he plays at least another season. It a good place to be, in the interim, before Detroit is ready for him to slide into whatever spot they make for him. He’s not going to go pro and play in Toledo, because Cossa is playing 75% of the games next season in Grand Rapids.

Now, if in their mind, he’s just “that good” this March, and they believe he’s going to fly right by Cossa, then maybe they would let him turn pro.

What we do know is, with Cossa’s development where it’s now at, and with Augustine, Detroit’s goaltending looks very, very solid moving forward.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
No reason to rush an 18-year old goaltender. He's backstopping a resurgent college program and he'll still be eligible for the 2025 WJC. He'll get plenty of development next season by staying in college. And if he's still doing well, there is a good chance he's on the US World Championship roster soon as well given how little American professionals care about it.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't see the reason why he should come out of college following this season. If he won the Hobey Baker, that could change your mind, but I don't think he's capable of that yet.

Two or three seasons. I would say the real decision there is whether he's like a top 2-3 college goalie next season or whether he's something less than that. If he's something less than that, there's no harm in sending him back for another year. Rushing goalies to the NHL almost always is a bad decision.

By the time Augustine is starting to get towards the NHL the Wings should know what they have in Cossa. He's a first round pick and all and more of a player who needs more time than someone like Wallstedt, but after this season and surely the following Detroit should know what they have with Cossa. Either he'll be in or on the doorstep of the NHL or he won't, and Augustine will be the guy, as long he continues to play well.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What we do know is, with Cossa’s development where it’s now at, and with Augustine, Detroit’s goaltending looks very, very solid moving forward.
Still a decent sized question mark for me, but hopefully it will be solid in the end.

Disclaimer - never trusted a goalie

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
the Wings had another Goalie prospect in Filip Larsson not too long ago that they pulled out of college after 1 year

he was older than Augustine when he was in college and injuries played a role in his downfall but it would be an understatement to say that it did not go well

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
the Wings had another Goalie prospect in Filip Larsson not too long ago that they pulled out of college after 1 year

he was older than Augustine when he was in college and injuries played a role in his downfall but it would be an understatement to say that it did not go well
Your second paragraph explains why this is a meaningless comp.

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
It’s all gonna come down to his size. If he was 6’3” or taller, he’d likely be considered, the best goaltender prospect in the world. He’s that talented.

It’s always gonna come down to, if he can be this same goaltender at the NHL level. Every step of the way so far, he’s answered those critics.

It’ll be interesting too, how long he stays at MSU. He’s super polished already in many ways. I’m guessing he plays at least another season. It a good place to be, in the interim, before Detroit is ready for him to slide into whatever spot they make for him. He’s not going to go pro and play in Toledo, because Cossa is playing 75% of the games next season in Grand Rapids.

Now, if in their mind, he’s just “that good” this March, and they believe he’s going to fly right by Cossa, then maybe they would let him turn pro.

Fowler has better numbers.

Kearns

Too good to be true, no?
Jun 7, 2008
Kamloops, BC
Fowler has better numbers.
Fowler is having an outstanding rookie season at BC. Augustine very similar at MSU. Both look like they have bright futures and it will be interesting to see how they share the starts at the upcoming WJC. States look set in goal.

Reactions: CapSpace

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
For those who’ve never had the chance to really watch Augustine, or for those who don’t understand why they talk about him, the way they do within the U.S. program… today was a good day to watch him play. You should now understand why, by this time next year, he will be playing his 3rd WJC for the U.S. He was as good as it gets today, coming back from missing the last game with the flu. Showed no signs of fatigue.

We’ve had some recent goalies who had all the physical tools, and some who played with poise and were structurall sound, but when it comes to the total package, we probably haven’t seen a “complete” goaltender like Augustine, since Demko, and certainly not this young.

It’s all gonna come down to his size at the NHL level. At 6’1”, he’s not on the big side, and it’s the only reason he wasn’t a 1st Round pick. He’s rarely struggled at any level, and he’s in a real good spot, to continue his development at Michigan State. At this time next year, the questions will start… When does he go pro?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
For those who’ve never had the chance to really watch Augustine, or for those who don’t understand why they talk about him, the way they do within the U.S. program… today was a good day to watch him play. You should now understand why, by this time next year, he will be playing his 3rd WJC for the U.S. He was as good as it gets today, coming back from missing the last game with the flu. Showed no signs of fatigue.

We’ve had some recent goalies who had all the physical tools, and some who played with poise and were structurall sound, but when it comes to the total package, we probably haven’t seen a “complete” goaltender like Augustine, since Demko, and certainly not this young.

It’s all gonna come down to his size at the NHL level. At 6’1”, he’s not on the big side, and it’s the only reason he wasn’t a 1st Round pick. He’s rarely struggled at any level, and he’s in a real good spot, to continue his development at Michigan State. At this time next year, the questions will start… When does he go pro?
Augustine was great today, no doubt about it and I’m in agreement it’s his net moving forward in the tourney

That said, the US has had some pretty great performances in the WJC since Demko. Primeau and Knight both had great WJC performances and Knight arguably could’ve been MVP of the tournament in 20-21. Also Knight put up some pretty absurd numbers at BC and with the NTDP

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I would put him a little below Knight, Oettinger, Demko, and those goalies. He's like Wolf or a little more of a safe bet because he's played NTDP and World Juniors when Wolf wasn't and he's like an inch taller.

You can't say the height means nothing. If you have the same ability but are taller you have a chance to be better. But I think the best goalies in the NHL usually are the ones that always put up great SV%'s at every level they play, and that's what Augustine does. He might hit a point where he doesn't before the NHL, but he also could be one of these players that people doubted him because he's only 6'1, and it doesn't matter because you look at the stat sheet at the end of the game and it's game after game of stopping the puck at a high rate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad