G Trey Augustine - Michigan State, NCAA (2023, 41st, DET)

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Bad in the bronze game, I think maybe getting cooked by Canada a bit took the wind out of his sails. He wasn’t even really bad against Canada though. And he was very good before that. And has been great all season.

It’s not nothing that the US decided to play a 17 year-old as their main goalie. He looked his age today but this is not something USA Hockey does (playing double underage goalies). You can say that’s an indictment on the current goalie crop and maybe it kind of is but Mbereko was the returning starter from this summer.

I think he’s still really really good and did nothing to hurt his shot at being one of the first, if not the first, goalie off the board.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Bad in the bronze game, I think maybe getting cooked by Canada a bit took the wind out of his sails. He wasn’t even really bad against Canada though. And he was very good before that. And has been great all season.

It’s not nothing that the US decided to play a 17 year-old as their main goalie. He looked his age today but this is not something USA Hockey does (playing double underage goalies). You can say that’s an indictment on the current goalie crop and maybe it kind of is but Mbereko was the returning starter from this summer.

I think he’s still really really good and did nothing to hurt his shot at being one of the first, if not the first, goalie off the board.
Yeah I agree. He looked his age for sure. He should be happy with his performance all things considered. Spencer Knight and Oettinger didn’t get a start in their draft years in the WJC.

Don’t get me wrong, we had better goalies than Mbereko or Oke those years. But, I can’t remember if a 17 year old ever started for the US at the world Juniors

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Yeah I agree. He looked his age for sure. He should be happy with his performance all things considered. Spencer Knight and Oettinger didn’t get a start in their draft years in the WJC.

Don’t get me wrong, we had better goalies than Mbereko or Oke those years. But, I can’t remember if a 17 year old ever started for the US at the world Juniors
Jack Campbell

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I'd be pretty shocked to see him in the first round. Not because of the WJC; I just don't see NHL teams taking a goalie in the first round who's closer to 6-0 than he is 6-2 unless he hits a major growth spurt pre-draft to get to 6-2+.

Overall, I thought he was just okay in the WJC. Being a double-underager though is certainly a consideration in his performance. It was also not a good team to be a goalie on as the defense was very one-dimensional and small, and they struggled all tournament. And while he wasn't the reason the team lost any games (although he was almost the main contributor in the bronze medal game), he also wasn't the reason they were winning, either. Generally, I think he did a good job making most of the saves you'd expect (sans the bronze medal game), but he also wasn't making plus-saves you'd like to see to bail his team out or help stem the ride like the opposition goalies did.

The biggest thing I'm interested in seeing is how he performs at the U18s. So far in his young career, and in an admittedly very small sample size, he's often performed his worst in the biggest games he's played in. In the three biggest games he's played in he gave up 5 goals on 14 shots against Sweden in the U18 gold medal game when the opposing goalie stood on his head and only gave up 4 goals on 51 shots; he gave up 5 goals on 36 shots against Canada in the U20 semis; and he gave up 5 goals on 20 shots against Sweden today in the U20 bronze medal game before being pulled.

It's important not to overreact too much talking about 3 games, and he was an underager in the U18 game and a double-underager in the U20 games. But if he similarily struggles in the high-pressure games at the upcoming U18s against his own birth year, I think the concern mounting would be justified and scouts would take notice.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'd be pretty shocked to see him in the first round. Not because of the WJC; I just don't see NHL teams taking a goalie in the first round who's closer to 6-0 than he is 6-2 unless he hits a major growth spurt pre-draft to get to 6-2+.

Overall, I thought he was just okay in the WJC. Being a double-underager though is certainly a consideration in his performance. It was also not a good team to be a goalie on as the defense was very one-dimensional and small, and they struggled all tournament. And while he wasn't the reason the team lost any games (although he was almost the main contributor in the bronze medal game), he also wasn't the reason they were winning, either. Generally, I think he did a good job making most of the saves you'd expect (sans the bronze medal game), but he also wasn't making plus-saves you'd like to see to bail his team out.

The biggest thing I'm interested in seeing is how he performs at the U18s. So far in his young career, and in an admittedly very small sample size, he's often performed his worst in the biggest games he's played in. In the three biggest games he's played in he gave up 5 goals on 14 shots against Sweden in the U18 gold medal game when the opposing goalie stood on his head and only gave up 4 goals on 51 shots; he gave up 5 goals on 36 shots against Canada in the U20 semis; and he gave up 5 goals on 20 shots against Sweden today in the U20 bronze medal game before being pulled.

It's important not to overreact too much talking about 3 games as he was an underager in the U18 game and a double-underager in the U20 games. But if he similarily struggles in the high-pressure games at the upcoming U18s against his own birth year, I think the concern mounting would be justified and scouts would take notice.

Yeah I agree.. I never had him as a 1st round goalie and I certainly didn't even before he let in some goals in the final two games of the tournament. It really wasn't hard to be better than Mbereko.

He doesn't have the size, he's not really all that athletic.. if I were to compare him to someone, it would be Jake Allen. Like a fine 1B/2 goalie at the high end.. but his athleticism is just OK, his skating is fine but not elite for his size, his size is below what you want in the NHL.

He'll get drafted but 1st round is insane.. I think he's more of a 3rd round guy.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
There is still time to flip back to Michigan Trey! No Spartan won a medal this January...just saying.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Absolutely no conversation about this player. I’ll tell you what, I’d be pumped if I was a Wings fan to get Augustine. If he was 6’3” he’d be a first round lock.

While Michael Hrabal may have more size and a bit more athleticism, Augustine is really good positionally and already plays a mature game. I don’t know much about goalies, but I thought Trey was the best draft eligible goalie.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Between him and Cossa, that's 2 really good prospects to have in the pipeline. Different types of prospects but that's what you need.. goalies develop so unpredictablly. Hopefully Grand Rapids is solid the next few years to give these guys a winning environment.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I feel there are some people who really underrate Augustine's quickness. It's like they use that he's not an "out of control" style of goalie against him. When he needs to, he has the incredible save in his bag. He won the USNTDP "save of the week" basically every week this year, and he was competing against 4 other guys for that award. Believe it or not, some goalies can be composed, well positioned, and also athletic. Is it because he's 6'1 that people need to find something wrong with him?

The dude lost one game in regulation all year at the NTDP for a reason.

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
Any Michigan State posters with some commentary on how he has looked so far in East Lansing?

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
Kenny three stacks with a rough week. Got yanked at the end of the 1st period after giving up 3 goals on 16 shots to Air Force on Thursday then followed that up with giving up 3 goals on 25 shots on Friday. Overall 6 goals against in 4 periods (4.50 GAA), 35/41 (.854 SV%).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad