G Trey Augustine - Michigan State, NCAA (2023, 41st, DET)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
A goalie with very good quickness, good read of the play, and technically proficient. He makes the occasional error, like all goalies this age, but he's pretty consistent and I think that shows in the stats. His stats are considerably better than the other two U17 goalies, and those guys aren't bad goalies.

Been excellent this season, and has really risen the last few months. Today he held up well enough in a tough game against the Canadians as an underager at the WJC18.

He's listed at 6'1. Like always, size often will matter for goalies draft positions. If he's listed at 6'2 or 6'3 by the time of the draft, I think he could potentially be the first goalie taken in 2023. In my estimation, he's the best goalie we've had at the NTDP since Knight, and we've had a guy picked in the second round since, so Augustine should probably be looked at as a late first round/late second round range goalie going into next year.

Committed to play for the Michigan Hockey Dynasty.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was thinking of giving an update before the GMG. I decided not to. The update will look worse now.

He was leading the WJC18 in SV% before that last game. Then he had a bad game, which is going to happen to any D-2 goalie, unless you are like a generational goalie prospect.

I thought he stood up pretty well throughout the tournament. Bad games are going to happen for young goalie prospects. He earned the start in the final over the other American goalie because he outplayed him to that point.

Think he's the favorite right now to be the first goalie off the board in 2023, but still a long way to go.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Unusual for MSU to get a recruit that UM wanted with the state of both programs.

Another huge whiff for UM when it comes to NTDP goaltenders. I wonder if Portillo is considering playing 4 years and that may have influenced this decision.

Good for MSU though, part of me would like to see their hockey program recover, and getting NTDP guys would be the best way to do it.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
This is 2 that they’ve lost now. Matt Virgilio being the other.

We have always lost committed recruits to the OHL. Whether it was Red, Pearson or now Naurato.

Losing Augustine to another NCAA program is a bigger problem than losing 16 year old Virgillo to major junior.

Reactions: Torts

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Crappy to lose a recruit but we'll be ok. Especially if Wolverines are eyeing someone else in next years class.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
18’s were outshot by Sweden, but they have Augustine in net, so it’s an easy 5-1 win. Stopped 29 of 30.

His SV% is 35 points higher than the other two goalies on the team combined SV%. He’s only given up more than three goals once in 10 games and that game was only 4 goals he gave up.

On pace for the best single SV% ever at the NTDP. Won’t be picked first round though because NHL teams love big goalies and he’s 6’1, even though half the good goalies in the NHL are 6’2 or shorter. The team that gets him in the mid rounds will get a steal. He’s the best player right now on this team.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Stopped 23 of 24 for another win.
Stopped 23 of 24 for another win.

Outdueled Jacob Fowler, who is the other very hyped American goalie in the upcoming draft. Shots were 24-22, and 18's won 4-1.

Crazy season he's having. Right now the best goalie season ever at the NTDP, and by a long way.

He's leading single season SV% at the NTDP by 7 points right now. He's also creeping up on best all time SV% at the NTDP. Down six points to Jack Campbell. Think of all the goalies to come through the NTDP between Campbell, Gibson, Demko, Oettinger, Knight, and Augustine has the best single season SV% right now of any of them, and might have best career NTDP SV% by the end of his time.

He's doing this behind a pretty average defensemen core in front of him. They might not have a guy drafted top 2 rounds this year, and one guy for 2024 is maybe a late first/early second. The other two goalies aren't bad prospects, but have comically worse SV%'s. Augustine has only allowed more than 2 goals 3 times this season, and the most was one game allowing 4. He's 11-0-1.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Stopped 33 of 35 for another win. This time they had him playing behind the 17's, so players a year younger. If I was to guess, it's some sort of preparation to let the other two goalies get into regular game time with the 18's, while Augustine is away for the World Juniors team, which at this point it'd be insane if he wasn't part of.

How can people be ranking Hrabal ahead of Augustine when Augustine's stats absolutely blow Hrabal's out of the water in the same league? It's size. This is the position that size matters the least.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I like his game a lot. He plays a mature game. His technique is better than Hrabal’s in my opinion but Hrabal’s size and athleticism are really appealing.

In terms of who’s the best goalie in this draft right now, it’s obviously Trey Augustine.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I like his game a lot. He plays a mature game. His technique is better than Hrabal’s in my opinion but Hrabal’s size and athleticism are really appealing.

In terms of who’s the best goalie in this draft right now, it’s obviously Trey Augustine.
Don't get me wrong, Hrabal isn't bad.

I think though that literally the only thing holding back Augustine is size. He's also very athletic. USNTDP has some type of promotion thing with a brand for the save of the week, and he has it almost every week. He can make those incredible saves.

If Augustine measures in at like 6'2 or 6'3 at the combine as opposed to 6'1, which with draft measurements can sometimes happen, I think his draft stock has to rise because his size is the only thing I think that you can say is a weakness.

Teaspoon salami

Oct 6, 2019
Don't get me wrong, Hrabal isn't bad.

I think though that literally the only thing holding back Augustine is size. He's also very athletic. USNTDP has some type of promotion thing with a brand for the save of the week, and he has it almost every week. He can make those incredible saves.

If Augustine measures in at like 6'2 or 6'3 at the combine as opposed to 6'1, which with draft measurements can sometimes happen, I think his draft stock has to rise because his size is the only thing I think that you can say is a weakness.
I have multiple goalies over Hrabal personally. His skating and fluidity aren't as good as multiple goalies in this draft. His value comes from his athleticism and height.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad