G Lukas Dostal - Anaheim Ducks, NHL (2018, 85th, ANA)

Babula

May 31, 2012
Cze Ivan Hlinka (U-18) team makes it to the final game against Team Canada.

Lukas seems to be a big part of this success.

Opinions on Lukas Dostal ?

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Great talent, he was very strong in U17 and continues to do so in U18. Ideally he could grow an inch or two, but even as he is right now is solid. (Listed as 6'1")
I haven't seen him in any rankings yet, but I expect him to be a top 100 pick, possibly even 2nd round. Guy is legit.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
How does he compare to Skarek?

Skarek is better. Skarek is a more complete goalie who is better on his edges and possesses high end quickness. Dostal has a good technical game, good puck tracking, and is patient. Dostal is a tier lower in terms of draft eligible goalie prospects which is no slight to him as he's proven himself in this tournament to be a legitimate prospect for the coming draft.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think he could compete for the top goalie spot in this draft.

Not a great year for goalies, so that might be more of a mid second rounder than some years where a goalie could go in the first, but he's one of the top goalies in this draft.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I think he could compete for the top goalie spot in this draft.

Not a great year for goalies, so that might be more of a mid second rounder than some years where a goalie could go in the first, but he's one of the top goalies in this draft.

Not a big fan of Skarek, Ingham, Mandolese, Gravel, Karki, Prosvetov, Annunen are you?

I would take him over Skarek at this point.

I really hope this opinion isn't based off of the WJC but the "at this point" part makes me unsure.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not a big fan of Skarek, Ingham, Mandolese, Gravel, Karki, Prosvetov, Annunen are you?

I'm really not a big fan of this goalie crop. The past five drafts, there has either been 7 or 8 goalies drafted in the first three rounds, 3 times 7 goalies, 2 times 8 goalies. I don't think there's more than five goalies I'd even consider in the first three rounds. And two of those years, there was a first round goalie. I don't think anyone in this draft right now is even close to the first round, and I'm not sure anyone from this crop can reach my first round. Maybe Dostal if he dominates the WJC-18.

I still have Skarek one spot ahead of Dostal in my full draft rankings, but they are a spot apart because its that close. Skarek has been brutal in international competitions, and while he's bigger and more athletic, I think Dostal is more polished, and stops the puck better, even if he doesn't have as high end of a ceiling as Skarek. Dostal reminds me of Hart. Not the biggest or most athletic, the kid has a really good idea of how to stop the puck though, and thats what matters with goalies. The only other goalie I have in my top two rounds is Amir Miftakhov who I think is a really talented goalie, he's just a little undersized. Great athleticism, good enough with the technical aspects of the position, has a history of stopping the puck at a high rate.

In round 3, I'd place Jacob Ingham and Daniil Isayev. Ingham is a big goalie who I think has good athleticism for his size. On talent, he's top 2 rounds, but I've dropped him out of my top 2 rounds because he simply is not stopping the puck. Mississauga sucks, but he's not been good either. Daniil Isayev I'm less sure about because its hard to watch these goalies playing in the MHL and he has not played many international matches, but I liked his lateral agility and glove hand in the match I watched. He looked kind of similar to Miftakhov, but maybe not as polished. He's not the tallest, but I've seen him listed at 6'1, so he's not that short for a goalie. He also has amazing stats, which shouldn't be discounted.

I'm no goalie expert, so take it with a grain of salt, but I don't think this is a great crop of goalies. Skarek deserves to be top 2 rounds just based on pedigree, but I'm no big fan. The two goalies in this draft I'm a big fan of are Dostal and Miftakhov, Ingham and Isayev are high potential goalies that I don't think I can yet put any higher than 3rd round, but they at least are on the radar for first few rounds, in my opinions. I'll need to see more of Isayev and see some better play from Ingham.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
I really hope this opinion isn't based off of the WJC but the "at this point" part makes me unsure.
It's based on what I have seen the past two seasons. I don't recall many softies by Dostal in the games I saw, can't say the same about Skarek. And you can't just ignore the WJC and pretend like it never happened. Skarek wasn't just bad, he was absolutely terrible. A solid game against Swedes and then went downhill fast. How often do you see a goalie change twice in one game? That's what happened in the Bronze game, because Skarek allowed 4 goals in his 15 minutes and couldn't stop a beachball. This wasn't the first time he completely collapsed at the big international stage either, he literally cost the Czechs a better result at the U18s in Slovakia.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
It's based on what I have seen the past two seasons. I don't recall many softies by Dostal in the games I saw, can't say the same about Skarek. And you can't just ignore the WJC and pretend like it never happened. Skarek wasn't just bad, he was absolutely terrible. A solid game against Swedes and then went downhill fast. How often do you see a goalie change twice in one game? That's what happened in the Bronze game, because Skarek allowed 4 goals in his 15 minutes and couldn't stop a beachball. This wasn't the first time he completely collapsed at the big international stage either, he literally cost the Czechs a better result at the U18s in Slovakia.
The game against Switzerland was ugly as well. Absolurely should have had two of the three goals - instead, as soon as the Czechs scored, within thirty seconds he allowed a goal to even the score again.
I don't know, maybe people expected too much of Skarek too fast and he can't handle the pressure? Whatever it is, right now I don't trust him as a goalie.
I'd like to see Dostal get in a few Extraliga games, but in Kometa it doesn't seem likely.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London

Skarek had two starts in the entire tournament. His game against the Swedes was great and then was pulled in his second start vs the Swiss. So 1/2 quality starts isn't great but isn't terrible either, it's about average. After that it was all relief efforts and guess what if you're evaluating goalies off relief efforts you're doing it wrong. Coming in for the Czech's after they've given up on playing defense would not work out well for any goalie. I'm surprised that Skarek wasn't scored on more the way the Czech's were giving up chances to Canada in the SF game. Sure you'd like to see a goalie hold the fort but more often than not the goalie coming in relief is a lamb to slaughter unless the team scoring decides to calm down...which obviously didn't happen this tournament.

@Pavel Buchnevich

This draft class for the goalies has always been high potential because of the amount of NHL sized/play style type goalies available. Until recently they've been inconsistent to start the season. Now we're seeing Ingham, Mandolese, Gravel, Karki, etc all start to pick it up heading into the last half of the season as well as those technically proficient goalies Justin Blanchette and Jordan Kooy.

For the record I do really like Dostal. Had him 6th in my prelim rankings (which to me shows just how strong this goalie class is) and am looking forward to the U18 tournament to see where he'll finish. For me Skarek is the more advanced goalie in a lot of aspects in the position ranging from the physical skills to the more technical parts of the game. The WJC definitely did expose some inconsistency in his game but that's to be expected as an 18yo goalie at the WJC behind the type of defense he played behind. My main issues with Dostal are lack of an explosive game, beaten on long shots he should have had and not taking easy shots seriously leading to rebounds ending up in dangerous areas.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Lukas is moving to Finland.
Good for him. With Ciliak coming back and Vejmelka ahead of him, he wouldn't get a chance with Kometa anytime soon. Wishing him all the best luck in Ilves.
In the meantime - go Kometa, let's three-peat :D

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Good for him. With Ciliak coming back and Vejmelka ahead of him, he wouldn't get a chance with Kometa anytime soon. Wishing him all the best luck in Ilves.
In the meantime - go Kometa, let's three-peat :D

What about next season, is he staying in Finland? Seems weird to sign if he is only going to be here for few months.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
What about next season, is he staying in Finland? Seems weird to sign if he is only going to be here for few months.
According to the Czech media that's not sure yet, but as of now he's only there for the few months. I guess next season depends on how things go in Finland, what's the situation in net in Kometa, maybe Anaheim will have a say since they drafted him?
It'll definitely be good experience for him. He wouldn't get a chance to play at that level in Extraliga since Kometa wants to compete for the cup again and Ciliak won them the last two while Vejmelka is solid as the other goalie. If both Ciliak and Vejmelka play for Kometa next year, I could definitely see Dostal staying in Finland - not much more to accomplish in Chance Liga for him.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
1st star in two consecutive games, SV% of 92.62% which is good for 3rd best in Liiga (extremely small sample size obviously).

Not sure why he never really got a chance in Kometa - I guess Zábranský prefers more experienced goalies? We did win the past two championships so I'm not going to criticize the GM/coach but I wouldn't mind hearing his reasoning.

Kiekkofani

Mar 10, 2019
Lukas arrived into Tampere and played first game for KooVee (Mestis, 1st Division) where he was supposed to stay for few games. His first appearance in KooVee, the bottom team in Mestis table, convinced Ilves coaches and Lukas was called up immediatly to Ilves. His first Ilves game (Feb 16) was against Pelicans and Skarek, audience was excited to see these two talents on the ice. Ilves won that game and both Lukas and Skarek played great game. Lukas has used this given opportunity and played so well, that Ilves coaches have kept him on the ice every second since his arrival. Lukas has now eight games where 14 goals have been made against him. Before his arrival, Ilves had on average three given goals per game. Ilves-fans love him and hope he stays here prolonged period instead of this spring only.

Last edited:

Torspo21

mailataikuri
Dec 15, 2009
Oijärvi
torspo21.blogspot.com
Played an excellent game yesterday against HPK. It was almost like a playoff-game, very important one, and he was the best player on the ice. Was the first time I ever saw him, and was really impressed. I´ve seen Skarek play a few games, and he seems more shaky than Dostal did. Ilves got a good one.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Great find but likely will have to go at some point. He is the most promising prospect in goal the Ducks have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad