G Ilya Samsonov (2015, 22nd, WSH)

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Who will be the better goalie? Samsonov or Vasilevsky?

Both look great but I believe Vasilevskiy as soon as gets more experience and improves little things will be a top 5 goalie, with a lot of season as a top 3 goalie (or better). Will Samsonov that good? Difficult, but everything is possible.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
He's awesome. Definitely a first level talent, I'm just surprised that the Capitals were the one to take him.

Washington has been a goaltender factory since before Korn was even here. Ross Mahoney (assistant GM and former head of scouting) has a ridiculous eye for goaltending talent. At one time we have Varlamov, Neuvirth and Holtby. Now we have Holtby, Samsonov and Vanacek. Never a bad idea to have a ton of goaltending options.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Washington has been a goaltender factory since before Korn was even here. Ross Mahoney (assistant GM and former head of scouting) has a ridiculous eye for goaltending talent. At one time we have Varlamov, Neuvirth and Holtby. Now we have Holtby, Samsonov and Vanacek. Never a bad idea to have a ton of goaltending options.

That's true but I feel like they also need to hurry up and win a cup ASAP. I would've thought they'd pick a player that could come in and help in 1-2 seasons vs a goalie that takes longer to develop.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Looks awesome. Young Varlamov. I found it strange that Caps drafted him, but he seems to be a gem.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
That's true but I feel like they also need to hurry up and win a cup ASAP. I would've thought they'd pick a player that could come in and help in 1-2 seasons vs a goalie that takes longer to develop.

It's hard to pick an immediate impact player late in the 1st round. We picked Vrana the year before and he just got ready to play in the NHL. He's still most of his time in the AHL. You'd have to be insanely lucky to draft a guy late in the 1st round that can become a top 6 forward or top 4 D in just 2 years.

Given that we already have Holtby as our franchise goalie, we may use either Holtby or Samsonov as a trade chip based on who's the better goalie by the time Holtby's contract expires.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
How far is he from being NHL ready?

still under contract for 1 more season, I believe, in Russia. So, not before that. I would guess, 1 year in Russia, 1 year in the AHL with some games in the NHL, 1 year backing up Holtby and possibly some games in the AHL and then Holtby's contract is up and they Caps have a decision to make.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad