G Ilya Samsonov (2015, 22nd, WSH)

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
How does he compare to previously drafted russian goalies like shestyorkin and sorokin?

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
For whatever this is worth:

Sabres GM Tim Murray just gave a radio interview. After a bit of chatting with the hosts about the goaltending situation in Buffalo, he said something kind of revealing about Samsonov:

The radio host prompted Murray that they had talked to Craig Button earlier, and he liked the idea of Samsonov to Buffalo at either pick 21 or 31.

Murray confirmed that "we have him in that area too".

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
And Murray is one of those guys who usually does not draft Russians, right? Pretty interesting.
Yep.

I made the point the other day on the Sabres board that Samsonov must make Murray's head spin. Tim Murray is very candid on what he likes in a goaltender and Samsonov fits everything to a T. He's Tim Murray's perfect goaltender... but he's Russian. I think choosing not to come to the combine could have hurt his chances however.

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
For whatever this is worth:

Sabres GM Tim Murray just gave a radio interview. After a bit of chatting with the hosts about the goaltending situation in Buffalo, he said something kind of revealing about Samsonov:

The radio host prompted Murray that they had talked to Craig Button earlier, and he liked the idea of Samsonov to Buffalo at either pick 21 or 31.

Murray confirmed that "we have him in that area too".

I like Murray's eye for the most part. I think Samsonov is one of the best goaltending prospects we've seen in years. Truly worthy of a late 1st.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Shame CHL doesn't let euro goalies come over any more. (No hate, I'm all for developing home grown goalies) However it seems he would develop better in CHL rather than MHL.

Just my opinion of course.

EDIT: Wasn't sure if he is going to play MHL or KHL. KHL would be great for development. My bad, eliteprospects said he will play in MHL next season hence my comment.

Last edited:

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
A 2 year contract in Russia is perfect from a developmental standpoint. Vasilevskiy did the exact same.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I wouldn't be opposed to the Oilers taking him at 16 if we decide to pick rather than trade.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
I wouldn't be opposed to the Oilers taking him at 16 if we decide to pick rather than trade.

If hes still on the board @ 23, I think it could make sense to try and trade up for Vancouvers pick (missing a 2nd and a 3rd).

Edmonton
23rd Overall --> Use to take Samsonov
Ryan Miller *If he would waive

Vancouver
33rd Pick
57th Pick
79th Pick

*I know Miller may not be the ideal target, but with him having 2 years on his deal and Samsonov being stuck overseas for the next 2 years, it could be a nice stop-gap until you get him to North America.

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
I have no idea whether Samsonov is any good or not, I presume the scouts and guys who sell fantasy hockey guides have a very positive opinion on him. My question is why the guy has been such a fast riser in the ranks as of late? Were the NHL teams on this guy the whole time and the prospect gurus were behind the curve and are now catching up or did Samsonov do something that warranted what appears to be 1st round draft status....all of the sudden?

Anyone have any insights on this?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I have no idea whether Samsonov is any good or not, I presume the scouts and guys who sell fantasy hockey guides have a very positive opinion on him. My question is why the guy has been such a fast riser in the ranks as of late? Were the NHL teams on this guy the whole time and the prospect gurus were behind the curve and are now catching up or did Samsonov do something that warranted what appears to be 1st round draft status....all of the sudden?

Anyone have any insights on this?

Most "prospect gurus" just rearticulate conventional wisdom. Right now it has become conventional wisdom to say that Samsonov is a first round prospect.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Most "prospect gurus" just rearticulate conventional wisdom. Right now it has become conventional wisdom to say that Samsonov is a first round prospect.

Fans and media seem to always have to find a goalie to place in the first round. Samsonov is imo the best goalie in the draft, so it makes sense that he's the one they zeroed in on. I don't think he's quite good enough to be using a 1st on myself, but it takes a lot for me to want to use a 1st on a goalie prospect (Vasilevski was probably the last one).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->