Lays

Jan 22, 2017
full
he’s #2 for me

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Taking the best player to improve your team.

Not reaching because the guy you have might become vegetated.

Well, no... it's both. Teams on average take 7 players every draft. You don't think any of them are a hedge against their highly touted prospects not working out? I'd argue that every pick after the first round is a hedge against that to some extent. I don't even disagree with the idea that they should've taken a goalie later in the draft, but it's not like their position was indefensible.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
In the prospects section hes been hyped up for a few years as a top goalie prospect in the world. Seems like him, sorokin, samsonov and hart are the ones that have been talked about non stop for a few years. And deservingly so!!

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
So his team had 138 points in the KHL last year in 56 games (and 137 in 60 games year before). Yea, I have a hard time believing that he's not just a product of a loaded team playing in a trash league filled with corruption and ****ty players.

Chalk me up as a non-believer.

EDIT: He wasn't even the best goalie on his own team last year. Looks like the Oilers picked up the real star goaltender on that team. Mikko Koskinen is going to make waves in the NHL playing backup to Cam ****ing Talbot. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
absolutely clueless post top to bottom

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
absolutely clueless post top to bottom
You sound upset. I'm not trying to critique the dude. Just saying lets wait until he comes over and plays for this atrocious Rangers team before we judge just how fantastic he is. :)

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
You sound upset. I'm not trying to critique the dude. Just saying lets wait until he comes over and plays for this atrocious Rangers team before we judge just how fantastic he is. :)
We should definitely pump the breaks a bit as I don’t think this deserved a thread but your post was clueless

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
We should definitely pump the breaks a bit as I don’t think this deserved a thread but your post was clueless
I wouldn't doubt it. My post was meant to be more of a dig at the KHL than the goalie. Eliteprospects does tell me that Koskinen did have a better year last year though. Do stats lie?

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I wouldn't doubt it. My post was meant to be more of a dig at the KHL than the goalie. Eliteprospects does tell me that Koskinen did have a better year last year though. Do stats lie?
I think anyone who watches SKA would agree that Shestyorkin is clearly better

Reactions: nobody

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
For one season that 30 year old goalie was better than the 22 year old by .004SV% & 0.13 GAA.
Shestyorkin has gotten a shutout in 21% of his career KHL games, he is undoubtedly elite

Reactions: Levitate and nobody

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Once he gets to the NHL it will be time to talk to about him. He is one of the top 3 goalie prospects out there maybe 1 and people have been talking about him. But lets see how he does when he gets to the NHL before he is overhyped ala Tolvanen.

Reactions: 13 others

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
So his team had 138 points in the KHL last year in 56 games (and 137 in 60 games year before). Yea, I have a hard time believing that he's not just a product of a loaded team playing in a trash league filled with corruption and ****ty players.

EDIT: He wasn't even the best goalie on his own team last year. Looks like the Oilers picked up the real star goaltender on that team. Mikko Koskinen is going to make waves in the NHL playing backup to Cam ****ing Talbot. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
So nobody tells us stories about "corruption". Interesting.

And then nobody goes on to call KHLers ...ty. Even more interesting.

Claiming Koskinen was better than Shestyorkin tells me you are truly a nobody if it comes to hockey knowledge.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Shesty is 22, cmon dude. It’s like saying well man Chabot had 25 points last year but PHANEUF had 26 so he must be the superior player!!!

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
So nobody tells us stories about "corruption". Interesting.

And then nobody goes on to call KHLers ...ty. Even more interesting.

Claiming Koskinen was better than Shestyorkin tells me you are truly a nobody if it comes to hockey knowledge.

But he was. Sad he is not Misha Koskninov but he was

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Thanks for wasting my time to inform you of the context you were missing. I probably would've just let this be, but I didn't want this misinformation to be out there unchallenged.

Shestyorkin was injured last season during the last three months of 2017. Some of those games he was playing through an injury, others he was out of the lineup. But its been confirmed by his goalie coach that he was injured, and if he was not injured, he would've likely been the starting goalie at the Olympics. He only returned a couple of weeks before the tournament, so he wasn't able to make a full return to form before it.

With that injury came reduced stats for a couple months of last season. During October, November and December this was his SV% 255/281=.907. During the rest of the season this was his SV% 370/389=.951. His career SV% not counting those three months is this 1910/2041=.936.

Here are their SV's over the two year stretch they were competing for playing time.

Koskinen: 1195/1288=.928
Shestyorkin: 1518/1623=.935

So the stats clearly show Shestyorkin was the better goalie over the two years. To be fair to Koskinen, I believe he also had an injury during the first season, but I guess that would even out the injuries.

I also don't understand this mindset that since Koskinen had comparable stats to Shestyorkin that must mean Shestyorkin isn't good. Did you ever consider where they are in their playing careers? Koskinen is in his absolute prime as a hockey player. Shestyorkin is 22 years old. He's still a prospect. Its not unusual that a player with a much lower NHL ceiling could have a better season in a different league. We see this all the time in just about every league out there. It completely doesn't matter. If Kaprizov doesn't lead the KHL in points, does it mean he sucks because "KHL players" outscored him? What if Hart doesn't lead the AHL in SV%? Did minor leaguers outplay him?

Its best not to stat watch. Watch the games. He's an elite prospect. And if you are going to look at the stats, at least understand the proper context. You clearly don't, and made some unbelievably nitpicked conclusion that ignores almost all the available statistical information and the context of what you nitpicked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad