G Igor Shestyorkin (2014, 118th, NYR)

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Hellberg and Koskinen are how tall again? I call goalie size bias! :madfire:
</dad-of-"short"-goalie>

EDIT: Where these days a "short" goalie is under 6-2!!!

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’ve been so impressed by Chytil, Andersson, and Kravstov but still think this is the best NYR prospect. Quite a top 4.

Completely agree. One of those guys has the potential to be top 5-10 at their position in the league. Its not Chytil, Andersson or Kravtsov. Also the best current hockey player of the four.

Its not great that our best prospect is a goalie, but I think he's the clear #1 prospect in the system.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
4-0-0
.961 save % (Tied 1st in KHL)
1.00 GAA (1st in KHL)
2 Shutouts (Tied in 1st in KHL)

*Minimum of 4 games played.
giphy.gif

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is getting ridiculous.

Hellberg has now played 3 more games than Shestyorkin in their rotation, yet has a SV% that is over 40 points lower. Hellberg has 3 losses in 7 games. Shestyorkin has 4 wins in 4 games. He's not close to as good as Shestyorkin. I get a team wanting to have a rotation at goalie, especially if money is an object and you can afford it, but at what point does merit matter?

Shestyorkin is playing less in the rotation, and he's the much better goalie. Anyone trying to say this isn't about contracts is lying to themselves. SKA has the right to do that, if they want. Its almost certain Shestyorkin isn't returning after this season, but lets not try to make it seem like SKA is making decisions based on merit. They still have not used Rykov this season, a player in the final year of his contract.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
curious to know when he will be coming over

Contract is up after this year. Just my thoughts, but the only thing that might hold him back is a stellar goaltending year from Lundqvist and Georgiev that puts his NHL assurance at risk.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Three shutouts in a row.

I’ve watched a number of games early this season, and while very good in previous seasons, he looks to now be too good for the KHL. His reading of the game is too high for this level of play.

I think he’ll be in the NHL next year. Belongs there this year.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
How many shutouts does this guy need to have in a row to get top 5 prospect status? 6? 8? 10? Because it's realistic.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Our GM, Jeff Gorton, is very measured and gives away nothing, but he sounded like a complete fan-boy when asked about Shestyorkin at a Season Ticket Holder's Town Hall yesterday. Go to 1 Hour and 20 seconds of this video for Gorton's comments. Didn't say exactly that he'll be over here next season, but mentioned that he's in the final year of his contract.

New York Rangers @NYRangers

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Sadly SKA GM isn't a fanboy, evidently.

I remember debating Koskinen vs. Shestyorkin two years ago and back then that was a fair argument on both sides. I mean Koskinen got 2,5 mil NHL contract for a reason even if it was still ridiculous to only play him in PO last year. But what is the argument of Hellberg vs. Shestyorkin in 2018 I have no idea. I mean if he keeps posting shutouts in every game they will wake up eventually, right?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
SKA will make the playoffs even if they use some pedestrian from the street as their goallie, so they probably want to have both goallies will be ready for PO.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Sadly SKA GM isn't a fanboy, evidently.

I remember debating Koskinen vs. Shestyorkin two years ago and back then that was a fair argument on both sides. I mean Koskinen got 2,5 mil NHL contract for a reason even if it was still ridiculous to only play him in PO last year. But what is the argument of Hellberg vs. Shestyorkin in 2018 I have no idea. I mean if he keeps posting shutouts in every game they will wake up eventually, right?

SKA has gone with a 50/50 tandem rather than a starter-backup system. They have done this for several years now. It has worked so why change it?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
SKA has gone with a 50/50 tandem rather than a starter-backup system. They have done this for several years now. It has worked so why change it?
Because one of their goalies is better than the other would be a short answer. Furthermore, the better one has played significantly less at this point. So what is the argument exactly Hellberg has earned more starts even if you are going with 50/50?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think it comes down to that Hellberg will be with the team next season and Shestyorkin won’t. As already mentioned, SKA’s going to make the playoffs with a high seed with either in net. They probably want to get Hellberg as many games that don’t matter as possible to see how he’ll adjust to the team. When the games matter in the playoffs, I suspect they’ll go with the goalie that gives them the much better chance to win.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I think it comes down to that Hellberg will be with the team next season and Shestyorkin won’t. As already mentioned, SKA’s going to make the playoffs with a high seed with either in net. They probably want to get Hellberg as many games that don’t matter as possible to see how he’ll adjust to the team. When the games matter in the playoffs, I suspect they’ll go with the goalie that gives them the much better chance to win.
That wasnt the case last playoffs...

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
That wasnt the case last playoffs...

I mentioned that in my post. There’s a difference in ability between Shestyorkin and Koskinen, but it’s not as big as the one between Shestyorkin and Hellberg. Koskinen was one of the better goalies in the KHL, so SKA could’ve still won the Gagarin Cup with him. Given that, that allowed them to play the guy with the first goalie contract. Hellberg is considerably worse in what he’s shown early on. If he doesn’t pick it up, they might feel like they can only win the Gagarin Cup with Shestyorkin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad