G Evan Fitzpatrick - Sherbrooke Phoenix, QMJHL (2016, 59th, STL)

HansSachsFan

Aug 17, 2012
Prague
I am a little late to the party, but totally agree, Subban is very much projected as a start(er). Fucale is still in juniors, but still a frontrunner to be Canada's no.1 at WJC.
Scouting of goalies is not very accurate, that's true, but that's the beauty of it.
There was a study that forwards and defenders are actually picked relatively well, and that the best players are indeed picked in the first round(s). Goalies were a very different story. But that doesn't mean their scouting is bad, they are way more difficult to predict. I'm not a scout so I can't speak for the scouting process, but it is without a doubt harder to evaluate a goaltender, I think it's mainly because they take longer to develop and the mental part plays a much bigger role in their game.
That being said, I don't like goalies being picked high because they are perceived as "winners" which I think is the case with Fucale (and Campbell too). It's a team game and there might be a better goaltender on a worse team that is jut as competitive.
Subban is very intriguing IMO, he had a great junior career, he is athletic, he started playing in goal late so he still has ways to go technically, and has that level of "swagger". I'm not saying he's going to be great but I can see why he was drafted high.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
any news on this guy? how has he played? Is he still a first round candidate for next year?

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
I'd say he's a first round talent at this point, he's 6'4 and 200 pounds and has the size and athleticism that's needed in goalies now a days. He's a better goalie at the same age then Mason McDonald, and McDonald was a 2nd round pick. (Also having seen them play in Midget, I can say Fitz was better then as well)

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
So how good is this guy supposed to be? I know he's really young but his numbers this year is not very good and in the games I've watched him he's been more or less terrible. Don't really see it with him. Is he still considered the top goalie for next years draft?

I'm not an expert on goalies but in my viewings I like Tyler Parsons of the London Knights a whole lot more.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
So how good is this guy supposed to be? I know he's really young but his numbers this year is not very good and in the games I've watched him he's been more or less terrible. Don't really see it with him. Is he still considered the top goalie for next years draft?

I'm not an expert on goalies but in my viewings I like Tyler Parsons of the London Knights a whole lot more.

You know when you like Tyler Parsons more, the other goalie has been really bad :laugh:

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
I'd say he's a first round talent at this point, he's 6'4 and 200 pounds and has the size and athleticism that's needed in goalies now a days. He's a better goalie at the same age then Mason McDonald, and McDonald was a 2nd round pick. (Also having seen them play in Midget, I can say Fitz was better then as well)

I will challenge you on this statement. I simply dont believe its true that Fitzpatrick is better than McDonald when compared at the same time frame in their careers. At the end of his rookie season McDonald had a tremendous amount of poise and confidence. Im not sure i see the same level in Fitzpatrick at this point. I certainly can say in midget Fitzpatrick was not at McDonald level for sure.

Next year really a critical year for both.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Some games I saw he was awesome. Others he gave up some softies. No doubt about the skill level though. Moves really well for a big guy but gets gets caught out of position and quick to his knees. Teams got patient very quick with him.

pedis

brochefs
Mar 14, 2014
mars
How does he look so far this year? I was searching around for the top eligible goalies because I feel like the leafs need that number 1 potential starter. Would he be an early second round pick? On the same level as others like samsonov? gibson? Valisevsky(butchered his name even if he is my favourite of the three :p)

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
1 of the big 3 CHL goalies this year along with Hart and Sawchenko. He's definitely more risky than the other 2 but also has a higher upside as well imo. Should go somewhere in the 2nd round but could fall to early 3rd.

penaltykiller

Feb 19, 2007
province of quebec
Yeah, I was watching the game last night as a Sherbrooke fan and I was wondering if the announcers would eventually refer to him as Ron Tugnutt... He had 25 saves in the 1st OT only.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
You gotta laugh at his PO stats

3.49 GAA but still has a .918 SP

Also, look out for his brother in the future

Not to derail this thread, but any idea how early his brother could be picked in the Q draft this year?

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Not a great game from Fitzpatrick today.

where is this guy slated to go in the draft?

Last edited:

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Extremely jealous of the Blues and especially so as an Avs fan. Ignore the numbers. This kid has everything you could want in a goalie. If he had a stronger year in 2015 then he'd have been the consensus top goalie.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Okay, as a curious Blues fan with limited access to CHL content, how has Fitzpatrick looked?

From his stats, he seems to be doing well, so I just thought I'd drop in to see if the numbers reflected the play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad