G Evan Fitzpatrick - Sherbrooke Phoenix, QMJHL (2016, 59th, STL)

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Good to see a top tier goalie prospect again. Let's see how he pans out though for 2016 and where he ends up getting selected.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Bo-Kd6CCQAAcLdO.jpg

Looks like this is his stance. I approve of it completely. Seems to be an Allaire type stance. Wide feet and holding the glove high. I imagine he has a hard knee drive as well and barely gets beats 5-hole?

Allaire teaches a blocking style, no? Looks more like a European inspired stance, the blocker away from the body, fingers up glove position, elbows not locked on the chest, so he has active hands and a wide stance.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'm no goalie expert but this guy looks damn impressive to me :

Not very impressive to me in the video, he lacks a good solid push laterally in butterfly. But I do like his size, style, and rebound control.

E: Thanks for the info Patmac.

Last edited:

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Not very impressive to me, he lacks a good solid push laterally in butterfly. But I do like his size, style, and rebound control.

He actually is very quick laterally. Not showcased in that drill because it's focused on not overplaying his pushes. He moves very well from side-to-side as a big guy.

Radagast

Mar 3, 2014
Does anyone know why Sherbrooke hasn't played Fitzpatrick since August 16th? He's only played 50 minutes worth of exhibition in 6 games. Is he hurt?

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
I don't understand all the hype about this kid. He has good lateral quickness, great size and is clearly athletic for what I'm seeing but limited ice time.

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
Major problem in scouting. I take little merit in any scout who says Evan is best prospect since Luongo. Evaluating goaltenders is flawed. Scouts simply have failed miserably and their evaluation systems and techniques are outdated and invalid.

I hope you aren't the same scout who evaluated Henrik Lunqvist?
Gave Tim Thomas and Pekka Rinne 7th rd grades? Didn't think much of Niemi or Quick.
How about Backstrom?
Using first round picks on superstars like Thibault, Fichaud, DiPietro, Dubnyk, and the like or falling in love with Zach Fucale and Subban.
Nothing personal to the original poster but changes must be made in how scouts evaluate talent especially in net.
It seems as though teams decide to pick out of a hat.
For the most part the best NHL goalies today weren't first round picks.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
Major problem in scouting. I take little merit in any scout who says Evan is best prospect since Luongo. Evaluating goaltenders is flawed. Scouts simply have failed miserably and their evaluation systems and techniques are outdated and invalid.

Gave Tim Thomas and Pekka Rinne 7th rd grades? Didn't think much of Niemi or Quick.
How about Backstrom?
Using first round picks on superstars like Thibault, Fichaud, DiPietro, Dubnyk, and the like or falling in love with Zach Fucale and Subban.
Nothing personal to the original poster but changes must be made in how scouts evaluate talent especially in net.

You can only go off their performance in junior of their draft year.

Thats like me saying McDavid is'nt that good since it may be the same scout that put Daigle 1st OA and thought Alfredsson was a 7th round talent

1st goal he actually played really well; Sherbrooke had a lapse.

Last edited:

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com

How about Backstrom?

i love the flaws you find in scouting lol....you seem to not take variables into this....such as how the team handled the kid, how some players are late developers which no one has a crystal ball so if you can tell the future rather than just give an educated guess I bow in your presence.......also the scout has a team system to go by when drafting, one scout might love player A but that player does not fit what the GM wants in the draft and i know people say best available but there are off ice issues scouts look at, attitude in the locker room or just sometimes player A might be a bad skater and the GM does not want any bad skaters taken...happens i have been there. In Europe it is harder to scout over there, each team has 3 or 4 teams that are all players of quality for drafting, players get lost, some players are reluctant to come over, some do not want to play for certain teams....there is a lot to go by......yes some of the scouting is flawed as they best scouts are not always the employed ones as head scouts or GMs hire friends or ex players and at the rinks half of these guys just go for the hanging out and eating the free good rather than actually scouting.

I would like to know though how the scouting is outdated, please enlighten us on this subject, we watch the games live, evaluate a player on that, hard to change that.

If you do not see the talent in Fitzpatrick and the ability and impact he projects well that is your opinion.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
No one should be out to fry someone providing advance information on a prospect who could potentially end up on our radar during their draft year.

Keep in mind we're talking about a goalie prospect still 2 years out, a position sometimes drafted based on raw ability and may even see a backup go high in the draft.

I wasn't impressed by his U17, where I thought he was shaky. Harvey and Skinner played lights out and stood out more. But then again, here he is getting games early on in the QMJHL season and you have to take that as a positive.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Just earned his 1st shutout in the Q. 26 saves. Didn't watch the game though but heard he had to make some big saves.

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
i love the flaws you find in scouting lol....you seem to not take variables into this....such as how the team handled the kid, how some players are late developers which no one has a crystal ball so if you can tell the future rather than just give an educated guess I bow in your presence.......also the scout has a team system to go by when drafting, one scout might love player A but that player does not fit what the GM wants in the draft and i know people say best available but there are off ice issues scouts look at, attitude in the locker room or just sometimes player A might be a bad skater and the GM does not want any bad skaters taken...happens i have been there. In Europe it is harder to scout over there, each team has 3 or 4 teams that are all players of quality for drafting, players get lost, some players are reluctant to come over, some do not want to play for certain teams....there is a lot to go by......yes some of the scouting is flawed as they best scouts are not always the employed ones as head scouts or GMs hire friends or ex players and at the rinks half of these guys just go for the hanging out and eating the free good rather than actually scouting.

I would like to know though how the scouting is outdated, please enlighten us on this subject, we watch the games live, evaluate a player on that, hard to change that.

If you do not see the talent in Fitzpatrick and the ability and impact he projects well that is your opinion.

We will see how well Fitzpatrick develops but I remember how in love scouts were with Subban and Fucale.
They were pretty high picks with Subban a late first.
Right now neither projects to be a starter.
My point is I just don't trust scouts opinions on goaltending. You guys are wrong a lot more than you are right.
I believe you need to create a much better system to evaluate a goaltenders ability and if you don't think that's fair I'm sorry.
I'm only going by facts. As they say the proof is in the pudding. There is a reason you dont see goalies getting drafted as top 15 picks anymore. And although we have no sure things with any one player the position of goalie is the most poorly evaluated position in all of hockey and maybe all team sports.

Last edited:

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
We will see how well Fitzpatrick develops but I remember how in love scouts were with Subban and Fucale.
They were pretty high picks with Subban a late first.
Right now neither projects to be a starter.
My point is I just don't trust scouts opinions on goaltending. You guys are wrong a lot more than you are right.
I believe you need to create a much better system to evaluate a goaltenders ability and if you don't think that's fair I'm sorry.
I'm only going by facts. As they say the proof is in the pudding. There is a reason you dont see goalies getting drafted as top 15 picks anymore. And although we have no sure things with any one player the position of goalie is the most poorly evaluated position in all of hockey and maybe all team sports.

Really? Since when?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad