G Carter Hart (2016, 48th, PHI)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
As far as i'm concerned, the Flyers net already belongs to Carter Hart. He's really good already and will only get better. His mental strength is incredible too. Very poised. Very calm. They should be looking to acquire a reliable backup in the summer rather then being in on starters like Bobrovsky, Varlamov, etc.

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
As far as i'm concerned, the Flyers net already belongs to Carter Hart. He's really good already and will only get better. His mental strength is incredible too. Very poised. Very calm. They should be looking to acquire a reliable backup in the summer rather then being in on starters like Bobrovsky, Varlamov, etc.
Exactly this. Maybe NA juniors have not produced a lot of elite young goalies in recent years and folks started to forget. But a 20-year old goalie doesn't automatically need more minor league season just because he's 20. The best ones can be ready, and Hart is one of those.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He's got a .920 and 2.46 in the NHL , so I'm not really worried about the rough three weeks he had in the A at the start of his professional career.

Way too early in his NHL career to make conclusions, let him overcook , work with the goalie coaches, mature for a year then hit the NHL fulltime after another year in the A.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Way too early in his NHL career to make conclusions, let him overcook , work with the goalie coaches, mature for a year then hit the NHL fulltime after another year in the A.
Everyone talks how this is a young players league now...yet are terrified to allow goalies to be put in that same box. And maybe rightfully so.

Hart proved in Jr he was not a regular goalie. The opportunity arose for him to play in the NHl and he is taking advantage of it. Let his play dictate where he plays.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I get being patient but if he continues to do well in the NHL and show he's ready why should he go back to the AHL to overcook just for the sake of being patient.
Plus I'm not sure "overcooking" is necessarily harmless either. Goalie coaches tinkering with your style for 3 or 4 years, just because that's their job, and a lengthy period of getting used to slower players without the NHL shooters. It probably wears on a player mentally who has been seen as an elite prospect to be spinning their wheels for 3 or 4 years when they think they can challenge to play in the NHL. It depends on the player of course. I thought Jarry looked better at first than he does now, for example. If Hart is ready for the challenge at the top level, it ought to be better for his development to play against the fastest players and best shooters he can handle. They still have coaches in the NHL too. He'll still learn. While not risking stagnation.

And the Flyers probably should find out sooner rather than later on the goalie front... they need to know if they should spend the money in the summer, and what they plan to do leading up to the expansion draft. Hart isn't going to be exempt. So if he's the real deal, get him in the net and make it the gameplan that he's the long-term solution. If he's bouncing around or "overcooking" in the minors and they commit to some other big name free agent as their starter... that sounds like a potential win for Seattle more than for Philly.

Reactions: onlylordsvsmorebp

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Plus I'm not sure "overcooking" is necessarily harmless either. Goalie coaches tinkering with your style for 3 or 4 years, just because that's their job, and a lengthy period of getting used to slower players without the NHL shooters. It probably wears on a player mentally who has been seen as an elite prospect to be spinning their wheels for 3 or 4 years when they think they can challenge to play in the NHL. It depends on the player of course. I thought Jarry looked better at first than he does now, for example. If Hart is ready for the challenge at the top level, it ought to be better for his development to play against the fastest players and best shooters he can handle. They still have coaches in the NHL too. He'll still learn. While not risking stagnation.

And the Flyers probably should find out sooner rather than later on the goalie front... they need to know if they should spend the money in the summer, and what they plan to do leading up to the expansion draft. Hart isn't going to be exempt. So if he's the real deal, get him in the net and make it the gameplan that he's the long-term solution. If he's bouncing around or "overcooking" in the minors and they commit to some other big name free agent as their starter... that sounds like a potential win for Seattle more than for Philly.
I don't think the Flyers in any way protect anyone but Hart in goal. After Bob and Varly, everyone else available is going to get shorter deals anyways for goalies. But thr Flyers for need a vet goalie who can stay healthy AND play well to split games with Hart.

I worry a bit because some guys won't come to Philly knowing Hart will get the push over them.

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
Is not this goalie overrated simply because he is a Canadian and in fact he has not such a qualities as people write about him? Just sayin that maybe is around Carter bigger hype than he deserves.

LarrysMustache

Feb 29, 2016
Is not this goalie overrated simply because he is a Canadian and in fact he has not such a qualities as people write about him? Just sayin that maybe is around Carter bigger hype than he deserves.
He could be Japanese, no ones give a ***. He's super hyped because the flyers have been a *** show in net since hextall.

x DeCruze

Dec 7, 2012

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190112-100909_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20190112-100909_Firefox.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: isthatso

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
He's got a .920 and 2.46 in the NHL , so I'm not really worried about the rough three weeks he had in the A at the start of his professional career.

Flyers defense is better than Phantoms defense for the league as well... at 5v5 anyway.

Flyers D was top 10 in the NHL at 5v5 last season across the board.

This year the underlying stats are almost identical, but far more goals going in... apart from when Elliott or Hart have been in goal, where it is the same as last year.

Flyers:

CA/60: 54.95 (9th in NHL)
ExGA/60: 2.24 (9th in NHL)

GA/60 w/Elliott+Hart: 2.06
GA/60 with others: 3.33

Reactions: skagittarius

Juicer

Mar 14, 2004
I predicted before the season that Hart would take the starter position this season, at some point,
most of the reply's i got back then, were doubting ones and others predicted that he
would play the entire season in the AHL (perhaps with Hakstol&Hextall, this would of been the case,
even with the injuries).

I was a bit surprised when they sent him to minors, i thought he was a back up at first, then a starter,
but, all in all, it all worked out for him quite nicely (with a little bit of luck)

Carter adapted to the pro hockey as quickly as i thought he would, just like his transition to Major Junior hockey
happened quickly, FYI for the first time in WHL history, he won the goalie of the year award 3 seasons in row.

TBH, an argument could be made he should have won the CHL goalie of the year 3yrs straight as well. His stats compare favorably to McNiven in the year that he didn't win.

McNiven 41-9-2 2.14gaa .915pct 6so
Hart 32-11-2 1.99gaa .927pct 9so

I'm sure part of the reason is the CHL wasn't overly keen on giving it to the same player two years in a row since it had never been done. They really had no choice in his final year with the year he had.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

I think it has to do with the fact that he had one of the most phenomenal juniors careers of any goalie in history and so far has a .920 save percentage in his first 8 NHL games for a terrible team at 20 years old.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Sandstorm will still steal is job, just a feeling.

If Sandstrom steals his job, I'm fine with that. Because Hart already looks like a better goalie than anything Philly has drafted in four decades (yes I know they drafted Bob...Hart looks better at this stage of his career) I don't care who's in net, as long as they're good.
That said, I doubt Sandstrom ends up better...though I do think he's a good prospect.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005

Overrated? He was probably the best junior goalie for 3 years straight. Now he's playing well in the best league in the world...on the worst team. Maybe he deserves the hype?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Sandstorm will still steal is job, just a feeling.

Sandstrom's had an awful year is a long way away from the NHL. He's probably the Flyers 4th best goalie prospect now behind Hart, Ersson, and Ustimenko.

skagittarius

Jan 18, 2016
PNW
He could be Japanese, no ones give a ***. He's super hyped because the flyers have been a *** show in net since hextall.

I guess it depends on one's definition of ***show, but the trite narrative that is frequently parroted here and in the media that the flyers have had nothing but garbage goal-tending since Hextall (or before) is very tiresome and I'll be glad when Hart finally puts an end to it. Since Hextall left, the flyers rank in the middle of the pack in goals against. In the 4 years that Mason was with the team, I believe the flyers were in the upper half of the league in save percentage. Obviously, goaltending hasn't been an organizational strength in a long time and the flyers have a history of some bad decisions regarding that position, but this notion that the team hasn't had quality play at that position in 20 years is absurd.

LarrysMustache

Feb 29, 2016
I guess it depends on one's definition of ***show, but the trite narrative that is frequently parroted here and in the media that the flyers have had nothing but garbage goal-tending since Hextall (or before) is very tiresome and I'll be glad when Hart finally puts an end to it. Since Hextall left, the flyers rank in the middle of the pack in goals against. In the 4 years that Mason was with the team, I believe the flyers were in the upper half of the league in save percentage. Obviously, goaltending hasn't been an organizational strength in a long time and the flyers have a history of some bad decisions regarding that position, but this notion that the team hasn't had quality play at that position in 20 years is absurd.
Not absurd at all. They had such a great roster that they were able to get to the cup finals with, I think, Boucher in nets. Save percentage doesn't mean a lot if you are a well coached team and force the shots from outside. Fair to say the Flyers would have won 1 or 2 with above average goaltending.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Not absurd at all. They had such a great roster that they were able to get to the cup finals with, I think, Boucher in nets. Save percentage doesn't mean a lot if you are a well coached team and force the shots from outside. Fair to say the Flyers would have won 1 or 2 with above average goaltending.

The only year I think they would have won with better goaltending was in 2010 against Chicago. The combination of Leighton/Boucher were horrid.

They got incredible playoff goaltending in 85, 87, 2000, 2004, and 2014.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He's in the NHL, he's playing like an NHL starter, and that's really all there is to it.

If he continues to play like this, he should stay.
If it starts to look like he's not ready to be a full time NHLer, he can go back.
Pretty simple.

There's no point in trying to force him into a development schedule based on what other players might need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad