G Carter Hart (2016, 48th, PHI)

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Jonathan Bernier ✅
Pekka Rinne ✅

Hart collecting 1st star like he was a ****ing astrologist.
How is there so little talk after that performance?

I’m scared for what this success means. I’d love if he just picks up the NHL starting gig and runs with it, but I’m scared that this early greatness will lead to overuse and disrupt his development.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
How is there so little talk after that performance?

I’m scared for what this success means. I’d love if he just picks up the NHL starting gig and runs with it, but I’m scared that this early greatness will lead to overuse and disrupt his development.

I understand your worry, however...
Its not like he is some 18 year old "kid", he turns 21 next year.

Dude is a special talent, winner to the core, even a blind person can see that,
AHL gave him challenge no more, the timing was perfect if you ask me.

Besides, these new young athletes are used to the media rumba by now, to the pressure, to the pro demands, all that.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
I understand your worry, however...
Its not like he is some 18 year old "kid", he turns 21 next year.

Dude is a special talent, winner to the core, even a blind person can see that,
AHL gave him challenge no more, the timing was perfect if you ask me.

Besides, these new young athletes are used to the media rumba by now, to the pressure, to the pro demands, all that.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say the AHL provides him with no challenge anymore but he was always going to be fast tracked to the NHL as long as he showed some ability to play.

He’s a great goalie, I figured he’d follow a similar path to John Gibson, in the sense he’d spend most of this year in the AHL with some NHL games, next season be an NHL backup (25-30 games started), then at 22 split the job/show he’s the guy and full reign of the crease by age 23. The difference between him and Gibson at this point is Philly has no answer in net and Anaheim was well stocked. They didn’t need to accelerate Gibson, even if he was ready for the challenge.

Hart has a clear path to the starters role, he’s probably going to be there a little quicker than expected due to the teams disaster in net but hopefully the dysfunction around him and his rush to the NHL doesn’t come back to haunt them. This kid is gonna be a stud goalie in the NHL for the next 15 years, barring some kind of injury I think.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I wouldn’t go so far as to say the AHL provides him with no challenge anymore but he was always going to be fast tracked to the NHL as long as he showed some ability to play.

He’s a great goalie, I figured he’d follow a similar path to John Gibson, in the sense he’d spend most of this year in the AHL with some NHL games, next season be an NHL backup (25-30 games started), then at 22 split the job/show he’s the guy and full reign of the crease by age 23. The difference between him and Gibson at this point is Philly has no answer in net and Anaheim was well stocked. They didn’t need to accelerate Gibson, even if he was ready for the challenge.

Hart has a clear path to the starters role, he’s probably going to be there a little quicker than expected due to the teams disaster in net but hopefully the dysfunction around him and his rush to the NHL doesn’t come back to haunt them. This kid is gonna be a stud goalie in the NHL for the next 15 years, barring some kind of injury I think.

I predicted before the season that Hart would take the starter position this season, at some point,
most of the reply's i got back then, were doubting ones and others predicted that he
would play the entire season in the AHL (perhaps with Hakstol&Hextall, this would of been the case,
even with the injuries).

I was a bit surprised when they sent him to minors, i thought he was a back up at first, then a starter,
but, all in all, it all worked out for him quite nicely (with a little bit of luck)

Carter adapted to the pro hockey as quickly as i thought he would, just like his transition to Major Junior hockey
happened quickly, FYI for the first time in WHL history, he won the goalie of the year award 3 seasons in row.

Reactions: CanuckistanFlyerfan

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
How many regular season NHL games do you want Hart to play in?
Minimum_____
Maximum_____

or GAA

stay in NHL or go to Ahl
over 2.25 under 2.50
over 2.50 under 2.75
over 2.75 under 3.00
over 3.00 under 3.25

Last edited:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Minimum_____
Maximum_____

or GAA

stay in NHL or go to Ahl
over 2.25 under 2.50
over 2.50 under 2.75
over 2.75 under 3.00
over 3.00 under 3.25

The team is playing better with him in net and he is 2-0... Roll with him!!.. Heck why not??!

If some 20ish year old players can already be some of the best players in the league, why cant a 20 year old goalie light it up too??!

Last edited:

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Minimum_____
Maximum_____

or GAA

stay in NHL or go to Ahl
over 2.25 under 2.50
over 2.50 under 2.75
over 2.75 under 3.00
over 3.00 under 3.25

He would be the second best Flyers goalie if it's under 3.9. That's out of six goalies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
get-carter-1971-movie-poster.jpg
This needs to be appreciated more. One of my favorite movies of all time.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Hopefully he gets one more AHL season where he starts a ton of games before settling into a backup slot at the NHL level the following year. Best to ease these goalies, he's only 20 playing in the NHL , other goalies his age are still playing junior/college.

Last edited:
Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
2.50 gaa .922 sv% front of the Flyers team, its pretty obvious where does Hart belong.
- not in the AHL, nor as a future (next season) back up to the NHL.

At worst, I'd like to see them bring in a decent veteran backup next season and platoon them, a near 41/41 split if necessary. At least take the pressure off him if he hits a rough patch, he doesn't have to be leaned on or pressured too heavily. I think he's too good for the AHL or backup duty, but you want a safety valve since he's still so young.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Juicer

Mar 14, 2004
2.50 gaa .922 sv% front of the Flyers team, its pretty obvious where does Hart belong.
- not in the AHL, nor as a future (next season) back up to the NHL.

I seriously don't think he needs it. I have never really seen a goalie at any age with his mental approach to the game. His sports psychologist has done a remarkable job with how he views everything. Couple examples:

1. He was asked about if he felt any pressure with the Flyers ongoing issues in net and how it's been so many years since they have been looking for an answer in net. He said he didn't see that as "his" problem and he could only do everything he can control.
2. When he was in Juniors he would always make sure he was the last guy on the ice.(including the WJC)
“I realized it’s a dumb superstition to be the last one off the ice,” Hart said, laughing. “It was something I did ever since I was a little kid. I had to realize that it doesn’t make me play better. All it really did during the world juniors was add to the distractions that we didn’t really need. People got a hold of that in the wrong way. I think I blew it a little of proportion myself. Moving forward, I don’t really need any of that.
“I won’t be doing that anymore.”

He is very technical and his rebound control is exceptional especially for his age. I am not saying he doesn't have things to work on and that going back to the AHL would be the worst thing. Wherever it is, he just needs to log minutes. But I really don't see him having to go back because he can't handle the pressure or it could ruin his confidence.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
At worst, I'd like to see them bring in a decent veteran backup next season and platoon them, a near 41/41 split if necessary. At least take the pressure off him if he hits a rough patch, he doesn't have to be leaned on or pressured too heavily. I think he's too good for the AHL or backup duty, but you want a safety valve since he's still so young.

How is he too good for the AHL when he has a 3.05 GAA?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad