G Aleksandar Georgiev (2014 undrafted; UFA signed by NYR)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Statistically, he's matched Lundqvist this season. Their stats in most categories are similar. With the eye test, Georgiyev's season looks better than Lundqvist, but thats due to expectations. Lundqvist is a Hall of Famer, Georgiyev is an unproven kid. The only area where Georgiyev doesn't do that well is 5 on 5. Some people think 5 on 5 is the best barometer for a goalie, so thats something to keep in mind. Aside from that, I think its hard to say Lundqvist is the better goalie right now, and I don't think Lundqvist having better 5 on 5 stats is enough to rank him ahead in the pecking order for next season, if you consider that the team is rebuilding.

The easiest solution for the Rangers is Lundqvist deciding to waive his NMC. He's performed this season as a low end-starter/high-end back up. He's still an NHL caliber goalie with a great playoff history. If the Rangers picked up some of his salary, they could probably find a taker. Lundqvist has started to publicly voice his displeasure in recent months. It appears like the only obstacle to all of this is that Lundqvist wants to raise his family where he's lived for 18 years. If thats what he decides, you can't fault him. He's entitled to decide he cares more about that than winning. And the team gave him a NMC. When you do that, you are giving the player the right to veto any trade.

If not, Georgiyev is going to be the odd man out and needs to be traded. It has to be that way. If this rebuild is going to be successful, Shestyorkin must become a very good NHL keeper. Thats who the Rangers must bank on with this rebuild. He's the highest upside player in the organization, which says a lot about the state of the rebuild that a goalie is the one you have to bank your rebuild on. Georgiyev could become a low-end starter. It would be best for the team if Lundqvist left, and the two young keepers were allowed to develop on the NHL roster for the next few seasons.

Reactions: The S5

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
I love Hank. Plain, simple.

That said. This is Georgi's team for now. The team plays differently for him than they do Hank. If he wants to stay, that's on him, the team shouldn't suffer because he wears his emotions on his sleeve and sometimes loses focus when he feels the team in front of him isn't cutting it. Somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy syndrome there.

As far as Shesty goes. Well, the future is bright for sure and most of us are banking hard on him, but, the question you gotta ask is...Did SJ regret trading Kiprusoff? Dallas and Turek? Toronto and Rask? Chicago and Hasek?

Hank and NYR are the proverbial Rock and Hard place at the moment. Given the state of the team??? Sorry Hank, it's Georgie going into next season and Shestyorkin after that putting in his best effort to displace Gerogiev. Hanks time in NY has run its course I hate to say.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
There are always big overreactions by some whenever Georgiyev has a good game or two, and then these people go quiet when he gives up 4+ goals. And don’t get me wrong, he’s had a reasonably good season. Nothing elite, but he’s shown well.

We have to deal with the situation we have, not a video game scenario. We can’t send Hank to Arizona for a bag of pucks. He has control over where he plays his hockey. I think Georgiyev has played at a similar level to Hank, so I’d give him more starts than Hank as long as that’s our goalie alignment.

Next season, that will change. And Hank will occupy a roster spot, so that becomes the issue for Georgiyev. Shestyorkin is the only high level asset the team possesses. The team has done a bad job so far of rebuilding. All we have going for us in terms of elite assets is Shestyorkin. No sane GM would not give him every chance possible to reach his full potential in the situation the Rangers are in.

Georgiyev doesn’t benefit from a year in the AHL, and we probably won’t have 3 goalies on the NHL team next season. In an ideal world, Georgiyev’s role doesn’t change that much from this season to next, but Shestyorkin is coming next season and the team gave Hank a no move clause.

Georgiyev has to be traded after this season, unless Lundqvist agreed to a trade.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
There are always big overreactions by some whenever Georgiyev has a good game or two, and then these people go quiet when he gives up 4+ goals. And don’t get me wrong, he’s had a reasonably good season. Nothing elite, but he’s shown well.

We have to deal with the situation we have, not a video game scenario. We can’t send Hank to Arizona for a bag of pucks. He has control over where he plays his hockey. I think Georgiyev has played at a similar level to Hank, so I’d give him more starts than Hank as long as that’s our goalie alignment.

Next season, that will change. And Hank will occupy a roster spot, so that becomes the issue for Georgiyev. Shestyorkin is the only high level asset the team possesses. The team has done a bad job so far of rebuilding. All we have going for us in terms of elite assets is Shestyorkin. No sane GM would not give him every chance possible to reach his full potential in the situation the Rangers are in.

Georgiyev doesn’t benefit from a year in the AHL, and we probably won’t have 3 goalies on the NHL team next season. In an ideal world, Georgiyev’s role doesn’t change that much from this season to next, but Shestyorkin is coming next season and the team gave Hank a no move clause.

Georgiyev has to be traded after this season, unless Lundqvist agreed to a trade.
Its a shame we might lose Georgiev for cheaper as opposed to developing him and receiving more. With Shestyorkin, Hank, and Georgiev all being NHL caliber it’s going to be tough for sure. I think we start Shestyorkin in the AHL just to get accustomed a bit better and trade Georgiev at the TDL

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Its a shame we might lose Georgiev for cheaper as opposed to developing him and receiving more. With Shestyorkin, Hank, and Georgiev all being NHL caliber it’s going to be tough for sure. I think we start Shestyorkin in the AHL just to get accustomed a bit better and trade Georgiev at the TDL

Shestyorkin will likely put a KHL clause in his contract. I don’t think he’s getting Gorton out of these goalie personnel problems to be nice. There’s also no real difference in trade value in the offseason compared to having played an extra 20 regular season games. That plan goes south if Georgiyev has a bad stretch next season, so it’s risky, regardless of its feasibility.

He should play the rest of this season. Hopefully he does well and we lose 1-0 games, and then we get something from a trade in the offseason. Unless Georgiyev needs a break, Hank shouldn’t see the ice the rest of the season.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB

Georgiev needs to be traded this summer?

Oilers will defo help you out with that problem..

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Speedtrials

May 31, 2006
BB
Kid is definitely looking like a quality starter. Just seems very composed out there, and hope the Rangers don't move him.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
As good as he is I don't necessarily see Shestyorkin taking Georgiev's job away. They're the same age--same size--Alex is used to seeing more rubber and as the season winds down it looks to me that Quinn is more and more comfortable giving him starts. The coaches know him--the players know him--he is ahead of Igor right now and the way that Igor gets the job next year is he's going to have to outplay Alex in training camp......unless Gorton decides to move somebody. Not sure that's going to happen. I would want something serious back for either of them. The team that goes after either is looking for a young starter......not a backup. For Georgiev I would want a 1st and I don't think many teams if any at all would do that but that's what I'd want just the same and I'd hold on to him otherwise.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
As good as he is I don't necessarily see Shestyorkin taking Georgiev's job away. They're the same age--same size--Alex is used to seeing more rubber and as the season winds down it looks to me that Quinn is more and more comfortable giving him starts. The coaches know him--the players know him--he is ahead of Igor right now and the way that Igor gets the job next year is he's going to have to outplay Alex in training camp......unless Gorton decides to move somebody.

If Shestyorkin can't put up better than a .912 SV%, his NHL career will be a bust. Georgiyev has proven he can play in the NHL. His stats/advanced stats are league average. I think a lot of the discussion surrounding Georgiyev is positive due to a lack of expectations. He was signed as a free agent, and no one had any idea if he would ever play an NHL game. Thats different than proving he can be a good NHL starter, which is the expectation everyone puts on Shestyorkin. Shestyorkin sets records everywhere he plays. Outside of the odd generational goalie prospect we see every 10 or so years with Price or Vasilevskiy, he's right there with all the other best goalie prospects throughout the years. I think setting them on a level playing field is unfair to what both have accomplished.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If Shestyorkin can't put up better than a .912 SV%, his NHL career will be a bust. Georgiyev has proven he can play in the NHL. His stats/advanced stats are league average. I think a lot of the discussion surrounding Georgiyev is positive due to a lack of expectations. He was signed as a free agent, and no one had any idea if he would ever play an NHL game. Thats different than proving he can be a good NHL starter, which is the expectation everyone puts on Shestyorkin. Shestyorkin sets records everywhere he plays. Outside of the odd generational goalie prospect we see every 10 or so years with Price or Vasilevskiy, he's right there with all the other best goalie prospects throughout the years. I think setting them on a level playing field is unfair to what both have accomplished.

Shestyorkin has played for one of the best teams in the KHL pretty much his whole career. I don't think he's had very many nights where he's seen 45-50 shots on goal any given night. Rangers defense in NHL terms has been pretty close to a cluster f*** the last couple years. I think you should keep that in mind because I would think any goalie who plays for the Rangers in the next year or two is going to have issues with his save %. The best defenseman we have really is Brady Skjei and he's really a second pairing guy. Our current entire right side is made up three smallish PMD's all of whom have serious defensive issues. DeAngelo's progressed nicely as the year has gone on but hardly ever sees a penalty kill. I think Igor is a great young goalie but I sincerely doubt that on his arrival he's going to turn into our savior and all by himself bring us back to respectability. If we won this year's lottery and took either Hughes or Kakko I doubt either of them would be able to either.

A couple other things--it can be tough when you go from a team that wins all the time to a team that struggles all the time and Shestyorkin as great as he's been has always split the starts with his team. I suspect that the Rangers have in mind to get him 30 to 50 games a year (at least the first couple years) and it will be more towards the 30 if he's with the Rangers and more towards the 50 if he's in Hartford or going back and forth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad