G Aleksandar Georgiev (2014 undrafted; UFA signed by NYR)

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
What's his most likely future? Backup or does he have starter skills?
Hard to predict goalie careers. He's done nothing but increase his stock - there's no reason one can predict right now why he shouldn't become a starter.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think his ceiling is a low-end starter, but otherwise, a back-up of some caliber. He's already an NHL caliber back up, so his ceiling/floor isn't that different.

I think we should try to trade him after this season, if he can play good hockey the rest of the season. Unless Hank waives his NMC, there's no place for Georgiyev. A half season or season in the AHL wouldn't be the worst thing for his game, but Hank's contract is on the books for another two seasons, so there's no place for Georgiyev on the team the next few seasons.

We also have some other good prospects. Wall is third in the NCAA's in SV%. After another season he'll likely be signed, as will Huska, who might be better than Wall but always seems to play for terrible teams. We also have Lindbom who we invested a high draft pick on. He could pan out. He's years off the NHL, but they thought he was worthy of a second round pick, so they are pretty high on his game.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Really good backup/low end starter, is what I potentially see. I don't want to completely rule him out as a starter, as I've watched Markstrom transform his game right before my eyes, but it seems more likely he'll top out as a solid backup.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Thanks guys. I guess next year it'll likely be Lundqvist and Georgiev as back up with Shestyorkin baking in the AHL and then likely Shestyorkin getting NHL time in 2020. Georgiev set up for the expansion, maybe.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He gave up 6 goals today. None were soft goals, but at some point you'd like your goalie to make a save. I think they've been playing him too much. He had that great game against Toronto, and has been better than usual recently, but I still don't think he's ready for more than a back up workload. Hank might also not be able to handle a starter workload right now, but thats a different issue. I'd rather put Hank out there, and let him struggle than have a player who could be an important part of the team in the future playing a role he can't yet handle.

Reactions: Oak

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
44 saves on 45 shots tonight, Georgiev has been playing great lately. I’m starting to see starter potential in him, gonna be confusing when Shestyorkin comes over though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad