G Aleksandar Georgiev (2014 undrafted; UFA signed by NYR)

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
Anyone have more info on him? Could we see him grabbed in the later rounds?

I could see this happen, yes. He played for TPS with very nice stats, most importantly, behind a very bad team. At times, he was much better than a former WC-gold medalist Teemu Lassila, who has some experience from KHL and SHL, too.

Georgijev came to Fredrik Norrena's goalie camp when he was a young kid (something like a 10-year-old or so). Norrena saw something special in Georgijev's playing, and since that Georgijev has gained some goalie teaching from Finland. So basically he has developed into a traditional Finnish type -goalie: Calm, fast and technical with nice rebound control. He isn't too small neither, and because there's some special history with TPS's goalie clinic (Kiprusoff, Norrena, Niittymäki, Hurme, Salak, Ortio...), it is very possible that at least someone is interested in either 6th or 7th round.

myrsky

Sep 4, 2014
He's a talented player for sure. He won the U20-championship with TPS earlier this year and he's probably going to play in the Mestis (2nd tier in Finland) in the same city next season.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Georgiyev was named best goalie at recent U20 NT friendly tournament at Sochi, so it looks like he and Samsonov are the main candidates for the Russia U20 NT starting job at next WJC.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Given NYRs goalie situation in the minors (Hellberg gone to China, Skapski not qualified, Nell and Halverson not ready) i'd say he's auditioning for the starter job in Hartford during dev camp.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
There is a rumor in Finnish medias that Georgiev will come to NA this summer, wasn't mentioned which team got interested in him, but since he was at the NYR dev camp, I can think it might be them.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We could use an AHL starter.

Says it in the post right above yours. :laugh:

And if so, I think its a real opportunity to get into the NHL. Our current back up Pavelec has been mostly terrible in recent years. Theoretically, it should be another two seasons until Shestyorkin, so if Georgiyev can outplay or improve his situation in relation to Pavelec's, he could get some time in the NHL.

The rest of our minors goalies probably aren't NHL'ers. We got two others in the NCAA's who could be NHL'ers, but just completed their freshman years, so they are a long way off.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
My dark horse candidate for the next Russian NHL keeper. Definitely better than his stats tell you.

His main problem is midget size for NHL, but i d think this thread will get more action come training camp.

Same coach as Antero Niittymaki, Kiprusoff and a host of other FEL goaltenders.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
My dark horse candidate for the next Russian NHL keeper. Definitely better than his stats tell you.

His main problem is midget size for NHL, but i d think this thread will get more action come training camp.

He'll probably be the next Russian NHL keeper. Would be hard not to for him. He's basically been given the #3 spot within the organization for next season, and the #2 spot is very much up for grabs, considering Pavelec isn't good. Unless he's terrible, he should get some games in the next few seasons. His biggest problem is that he's probably fourth in command for the eventual starting spot with the Rangers, so he'd need to be great the next few years to be the first goalie to get a crack at being the starter after Hank. I think the overall upside of his position within the organization is limited, I'd be shocked if he's given much of a chance to be the starter, I think he's been brought in more so because goalies that might've been thought of as potential back ups for the Rangers the next few years, Halverson and Skapski, have not developed. We have a really deep system for goalies, but those players are in the NCAA and Europe right now, so they needed a young keeper to take up a role for a few years.

The Ooh Wow

Apr 4, 2006
Turku, Finland

Not really true. Legendary Urpo Ylönen has already retired. Current goalie coach in TPS is Fredrik Norrena (ex-CBJ). Georgiev is one of (if not the) first young goalie he's coached to the top.

Newfoundland

Jun 19, 2016
Newfoundland

He is 6'1 what kind of weed are you smoking. "midget size"

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
100%. But I think they are really high on Adam Huska as well.

And Wall. None of the three play in the NA Minors though, so we needed a young goalie to take up a role until they do. None probably will for the 18-19 season either, so this signing made sense for the team.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Think the keeper pool, as far as potential, go for NYR are as follows, IMO....

Shesterkin (potential elite starter)
Huska (potential solid starter)
Georgiyev (potential solid starter)
Wall (potential solid starter)
Nell (potential 1b starter)
Halverson (potential 1b starter)

Goalie crop is easily the strongest position in the Ranger organization!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad