Salary Cap: Future Roster Building (2017-18 and beyond) Pt. 4 | Contract/FA charts in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattpilf

Jun 28, 2016
I wouldn't shut the door on Scott Wilson eventually being an excellent Top 6 forward for us. While Sheary was cutting his teeth in the AHL, showing his scoring touch by putting up 27 goals in 90 games, Wilson amassed 41 goals in 90 games. I don't think he's quite found his offensive game yet at the NHL level but he more than proved to me that he's a well-rounded player.

Honestly, how many of those goals were from Shearys play making? If I recall those two were major line mates in WBS

Return of the Paek

Jun 19, 2016
I'm sure he hasn't decided yet. Might be hard for him to pass up some of the offers he could receive by teams who are desperate for centers.

Going from 1.9mil a year...to possibly being offered around 5-5.5mil(not that he's worth it but can see a team like the habs offering that).

Or maybe he decides to stay in Pitt for another 2 years to try to win another cup for around 3mil per. By then we will know what we have in Sundqvist/Bluegers.

If Bones gets $5m-$5.5m, I will be very surprised. I think his style of play---i.e., below average skater, average stick handler, and average shooter---make his market value tough to pinpoint.

IMO, he will probably be able to get $4m-$4.25m. However, at that market value we might be able to bring him back for $3.5m-ish.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I would go to a maximum of 4 year x 4M for Bonino as long as it doesn't have a NTC. If after 1 or 2 years Sundqvist is truly ready to resume that role, we could look at trading Bonino.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
One thing to note about all these lineups people are posting, is that JR said he wants to go out and find some guys that can play nightly that can also add toughness.

Not many of those types are available.

That said, I don't think Cullen comes back. I think he retires. I don't think Kunitz comes back. I do believe Bones will resign here. I believe Sheary will come in under what everyone thinks he'll get. Seriously, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him at $2mil for 2yrs. Perform like he does, cash in next time. He's young enough and I think the rather lackluster playoffs hurt his big numbers.

Schultz will obviously come back. Unless Daley or Hainsey sign for dirt, dirt cheap neither come back. Especially Hainsey. With the market out there and even with some of our youth, no reason whatsoever he should be back.

I just have no idea what to make of the expansion draft. No clue what will come of that.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Bonino's a tough one. He was just so bad for the majority of the regular season. If it weren't for a hot final 10 to 12 games, he'd have finished with really poor offensive totals -- and that's playing with a guy like Kessel a lot of the time.

He's conscientious defensively and can PK, but it's a bit worrisome allocating $4+ million to a guy who is Nick Spaling for 60 or so games every regular season.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
We've all been burnt by the notion that a player is so happy winning that he'll take a discount to play for The Local Team.

But man oh man, I keep thinking Schultz was so traumatized from his experience in Edmonton that the very risk of going through something like that again will make him stay put for less.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
We've all been burnt by the notion that a player is so happy winning that he'll take a discount to play for The Local Team.

But man oh man, I keep thinking Schultz was so traumatized from his experience in Edmonton that the very risk of going through something like that again will make him stay put for less.

Yeah I wouldn't take it as him being willing to take a discount, I'd view it as him being unwilling to get into another bad situation.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
He might be more willing to accept term at a reasonable cap hit. Give him similar term as Maatta and see how close to 4 mil you can get.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I could easily see Schultz agreeing to something like 5 years at $4 million a season. I think he's worth more, but I could definitely see him taking less to stick around.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Crazy thing is, I loved how Daley played after he came back from his second injury in the playoffs.

If Olli can improve by half a stride, can we really do worse than:

58-8
28-4
2-6

?

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
I have a box of LOL's for anyone who thinks the Penguins don't have a one year deal drawn up for Kunitz. That's Sid's bud, he will finish his career here.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Crazy thing is, I loved how Daley played after he came back from his second injury in the playoffs.

If Olli can improve by half a stride, can we really do worse than:

58-8
28-4
2-6

?

Well they have the experience. After what the group just pulled off without Letang, I can only see them being better next year.

But even if they bring back Daley, we still need to add 1 or 2 more guys. Can't have that depth problem again. Unless guys like Corrado and Pouliot show something.

If JR is serious about adding physicality to the lineup, I see it being on D.

Not really any openings on offense. ZAR is a guy who could provide that tho, while producing at the same time. I'm more excited about seeing what Sprong and ZAR do next year than us adding anyone from the outside unless its a guy like Duchene.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I have a box of LOL's for anyone who thinks the Penguins don't have a one year deal drawn up for Kunitz. That's Sid's bud, he will finish his career here.

Can see a team filled with young players giving him a 2-3 year deal tho.

Still see him going to the Leafs.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I'd like Daley back at a reasonable price. He's an underrated part of this cup win and is a solid bottom pair guy.

We need to grab a top 4 d somehow and a 3rd/4th line center, maybe a vet backup goalie for a year since Jarry is so unknown at the nhl level.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Sheary-3C-Rust
Wilson-Sundqvist-Rowney
Kuhnhackl-Archibald

Where does Kunitz fit in here? Archibald is eligible for waivers, I should add.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Never. I mean I get why P.Kane got the contract he did... but I'd never give a winger that much money. You only have to look at Chicago and the issues they're having and will continue to have to see what that's a **** idea.

Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Sheary-3C-Rust
Wilson-Sundqvist-Rowney
Kuhnhackl-Archibald

What about Sundqvist?

Pouliot is eligible for waivers too...so somethings gotta be done there as well.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

That's pretty much what his mother said on CBC after they won the cup. She went on about how happy he is and how great the Pens organization has been. I can easily see him wanting a longer term over more money.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Sheary-3C-Rust
Wilson-Sundqvist-Rowney
Kuhnhackl-Archibald

Call me jaded, but I could see the Pens exposing one of their young guys to waivers in the name of retaining #14.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Sheary-3C-Rust
Wilson-Sundqvist-Rowney
Kuhnhackl-Archibald

Kunitz is better than Rowney. And both Sheary and Wilson have played RW.

Rowney and Kuhn are spare forwards. Archibald might be more.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'd like Daley back at a reasonable price. He's an underrated part of this cup win and is a solid bottom pair guy.

We need to grab a top 4 d somehow and a 3rd/4th line center, maybe a vet backup goalie for a year since Jarry is so unknown at the nhl level.

So we're paying Maatta or Schultz 4+ mil to be on the bottom pairing?

If we have a hole at 3C with Bones gone, there aren't many realistic options in free agency. And no one internally to play that spot. That's the far bigger hole, IMO.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
We need faceoff help. The thing that really helps JR in negotiations is that I think guys like Bonino and Schultz love Pittsburgh so much that they will really meet JR in the middle. Schultz, in particular, is a guy that I just genuinely feel loves this place.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Kunitz is better than Rowney. And both Sheary and Wilson have played RW.

Rowney and Kuhn are spare forwards. Archibald might be more.

The issue isn't that other guys can change positions to accommodate Kunitz being a LW, it's that they're going to lose a young forward to waivers if they re-sign Kunitz and it just adds a further block to guys like Sprong.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The issue isn't that other guys can change positions to accommodate Kunitz being a LW, it's that they're going to lose a young forward to waivers if they re-sign Kunitz and it just adds a further block to guys like Sprong.

So lose Rowney. Guys like him are on waivers all the time. And Kunitz doesn't block Sprong. They don't play the same position or role.

I don't really care, but I'm not gonna be pissed if we lose a 13th forward with minimal upside to retain Kunitz for another year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad