Salary Cap: Future Roster Building (2017-18 and beyond) Pt. 3 | Contract/FA charts in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Would it be a strong chance? This coaching team has a great track record at getting the best out of wayward dmen.

edit: This is about taking on a project at 6th dman, not Pouliot specifically.

I'd be cool with a guy like Kulikov or something. Someone who at least has shown to be an NHL player.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Exactly. The last couple years we've given chances to unproven players like Murray, Rust, Sheary, Guentzel, Dumoulin, Kuhnackl, Archibald, Wilson, Rowney and even gave Edmonton reject Justin Schultz an opportunity to prove himself.

Would it really be that shocking to see Pouliot pan out into at least a 5-6 D-Man?

Who coached most of them though before getting a chance with the big club though?

I would really only compare D to D because it's much harder to shelter and Schultz was already a top 6 D and Dumoulin didn't really falter on his progression.

I still think he becomes a permanent player in the NHL but we aren't in a great position to give him that chance.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Is it a hole in the lineup? You give two guys who have already played in the NHL a shot to take the ball and run with it.

Yes, because Pouliot is bad and Ruhwedel isn't good enough to be an everyday defensemen. You're basically taking a risk that one of them grabs the spot and runs with it, which is just needless to do.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Is it a hole in the lineup? You give two guys who have already played in the NHL a shot to take the ball and run with it.

but it's a position that we should be looking to upgrade. Even if DP works out, he's going to be a downgrade for what is already a struggling D.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Freidman's 30 thoughts:

Nick Kypreos has said for a while now that Vegas’s Pittsburgh pick will be Marc-Andre Fleury. Not convinced, however, that’s where he stays. A flip candidate.

It sounds like Freidman is buying the idea that Fleury will just waive for the expansion draft and Vegas will take him there.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Freidman's 30 thoughts:

It sounds like Freidman is buying the idea that Fleury will just waive for the expansion draft and Vegas will take him there.

That's been my expectations for a while now. Whatever is happening, I'm convinced it was decided by the trade deadline.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
Any thoughts on what they will do with the RW logjam?
If they continue to roll with Sheary on the right side of Sid and Jake, that leaves 3 spots open for Kessel, Rust, Horny, and Sprong, and Archibald.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If they continue to roll with Sheary on the right side of Sid and Jake, that leaves 3 spots open for Kessel, Rust, Horny, and Sprong, and Archibald.

Sprong in the AHL, and Rust at LW I would think.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That's been my expectations for a while now. Whatever is happening, I'm convinced it was decided by the trade deadline.

It wasn't my expectation, I expected the Penguins to trade Fleury there, but it sounds like he'll just waive his NMC and be taken by Vegas. That solves a lot of the Penguins issues for next year.

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Sheary-Bonino-Hornqvist
Wilson-Rowney/Sundqvist-Archibald

Sprong in the AHL.

froods

Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
It wasn't my expectation, I expected the Penguins to trade Fleury there, but it sounds like he'll just waive his NMC and be taken by Vegas. That solves a lot of the Penguins issues for next year.

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Sheary-Bonino-Hornqvist
Wilson-Rowney/Sundqvist-Archibald

Sprong in the AHL.

I hate Rust with Sid.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
That's what I was thinking, but it seems obvious to put Rust at LW with Geno and Kessel, but he won't do it. Makes me think they are shying away from that idea.

I'd have Hags there and Rust on the 3rd line LW. What Emp said, but with Rust and Sheary flipped. Hopefully at least :laugh: Or maybe Horny and Rust flipped.

In general, I prefer Rust on the 3rd line. He's a better depth line driver than he is a compliment to Sid or Geno imo.

froods

Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
I'd have Hags there and Rust on the 3rd line LW. What Emp said, but with Rust and Sheary flipped. Hopefully at least :laugh: Or maybe Horny and Rust flipped.

In general, I prefer Rust on the 3rd. He's a better depth line driver than he is a compliment to Sid or Geno imo.

Maybe to start the year, but I think ZAR cracks the lineup sooner than later. Probably will replace Wilson.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Trade Horny if he won't be with Sid, move Rust to the left when Sprong is ready.

This said - if Rutherford is serious about wanting to upgrade physicality, I doubt Sid & the kids is a long term line.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Trade Horny if he won't be with Sid, move Rust to the left when Sprong is ready.

This said - if Rutherford is serious about wanting to upgrade physicality, I doubt Sid & the kids is a long term line.

I'd honestly move Sprong to LW before Rust, even though we know Rust can play LW. It just makes sense in terms of play style to do that instead.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Some quick thoughts:

We absolutely should not trade Hörnqvist. The guy embodies Sullivan's "just play" philosophy and I imagine he's a big plus on the bench and in the locker room, too. I believe trading Neal for Horny was one of the most important moves Rutherford has made here.

Archibald will have to clear waivers this fall, he could be claimed by a team looking to upgrade their bottom six speed. Is he good enough to keep him over Hagelin? I'm not sure. Lots of rookies have looked good for their first handful of games only to disappear once the adrenaline wore off. Hagelin has to be better than he's been recently, though.

If we re-sign Hainsey it better be for only 1 year. At his age you never know when the wheels fall off completely. I'd rather use much of our cap space on a real upgrade on D.

I still don't want to keep Bonino. We can't pay 4 million to a guy who does little else but win faceoffs and block shots. Rowney is a lesser player overall but he'll also only cost about a fifth of what Bonino is going to demand. Someone is going to overpay him because of HBK last year, not realizing that Kessel made that line stand out.

And trade Pouliot as long as he still has a little trade value left. IMO the kid simply isn't cut out for the NHL. Other teams may not see it that way yet but personally he's shown me enough. I think he'll bounce around the league for a few more years before going to Europe. The slower pace and bigger ice will be a better fit for his infuriatingly lackadaisical style.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

I don't understand why people are so against Horny in the bottom 6. As long as he's still on the powerplay, he's valuable to us. And he's a perfectly capable bottom 6 guy. Now when it comes to re-signing him, you need to factor it in to what it's worth paying for him, but right now we can absolutely afford to keep him in a bottom 6 spot.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The thing that confuses me a little bit is that Vegas can't make trades before the expansion draft is done it seems like. Teams have to submit their lists for the expansion draft by 6/17 (so the Penguins have like 3 days after a potential game 7 to work out their stuff) and Vegas has from 6/18 to 6/21 to make their picks. However, Vegas can't make any trades until 6/21. That basically makes official bribing trades impossible for this expansion draft. You can still have agreed upon deals that just happen after the expansion draft, but you can't do legit trades before the draft.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I don't understand why people are so against Horny in the bottom 6. As long as he's still on the powerplay, he's valuable to us. And he's a perfectly capable bottom 6 guy. Now when it comes to re-signing him, you need to factor it in to what it's worth paying for him, but right now we can absolutely afford to keep him in a bottom 6 spot.

And the Pens have succeeded on depth, and they get injured a lot and we've seen lines get broken up multiple times these playoffs. Giving him 6x6 to be locked on the third line would be bad.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
  1. Let Bonino go
  2. Trade Fleury to Vegas in exchange for them promising to take Hagelin
  3. Sign Thornton & Marleau to twin 1-year $5M deals
Guentzel-Crobsy-Sheary
Rust-Malkin-Kessel
Marleau-Thornton-Hornqvist
Wilson-Rowney-Archibald

Maatta-Letang
Dumo-Schultz
Cole-Ruh

Murr
Jarr

U2cbxvP.gif

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Hornqvist should be in the 5 mil range. Anything over 6 and his contract will get rough in the near future. He's a complementary player. Once you start paying guys like that 2/3 of what Sid and Geno make, our cap structure is gonna get ****ed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad