Salary Cap: Future Roster Building (2017-18 and beyond) Pt. 3 | Contract/FA charts in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Richard said:
We absolutely have to resign Trevor Daley. He is our best dman in moving the puck.

Letang, Cole, and Schultz must be protected.

Maatta go to vegas young man.

The issue there is the cost/term. If he wants 2x4m, I'd be pretty interested. If he wanted 3 years... I'd consider it, but I really do not know - that would be tough. More than 4 years, there's no chance I'd be interested.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Madden mentioned again today that Rutherford will go after tough players who can play every day this summer. What he means by that remains to be seen. I don't want to trade for some plug like Matt Martin or Marcus Foligno just because they're tough. Find someone who's a good player (or can at least skate well) and is also tough.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Madden mentioned again today that Rutherford will go after tough players who can play every day this summer. What he means by that remains to be seen. I don't want to trade for some plug like Matt Martin or Marcus Foligno just because they're tough. Find someone who's a good player (or can at least skate well) and is also tough.

Every team wants them. Off the top of my head, some that might be available:

Landeskog
E. Kane
Nino N.

Nino may not be a tough, tough guy but he could at least stand up for a guy. My vote is a Maatta for Landeskog deal. Then sign a dman or two.

Dumo-Letang
Cole-Schultz
Kulikov-Rudwedel

Not a prettiest but...Landy-Sid-Jake may make me feel better.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Landeskog
E. Kane
Nino N.

Nino may not be a tough, tough guy but he could at least stand up for a guy. My vote is a Maatta for Landeskog deal. Then sign a dman or two.

Dumo-Letang
Cole-Schultz
Kulikov-Rudwedel

Maatta won't pull you off Landeskog and I probably wouldn't advocate trading any defensemen with the current state of the team. I'd honestly sooner add a rugged D before a rugged forward, because I think it's easier to find guys like Despres or Manson than it is to find guys like Kane or Landeskog.

Kane's a big no for me, too. Not because he's tough, but because he's a bad hockey player. He's a terribly flawed player, I'm not even going to address his off ice issues because I have no way of knowing. But he's an incredibly low hockey IQ player that doesn't play well with his linemates, he skates fast, hits people and has a nice shot. That's about it, he's a moderately better version of Yakupov that hits essentially.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
90 % of the GMs who would take Matt Martin over Kuhn or Scott wilson are not good GMs. Why would they take the lesser and more expensive player?

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Kane basically scored 30 goals this year. He's not close to a bad player. That said, don't want him. Too much baggage.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Kane basically scored 30 goals this year. He's not close to a bad player. That said, don't want him. Too much baggage.

when we were short on wings I was all about taking a risk on him. But at this point it's not worth it unless he's pretty much free.

Farnham4top6

Despres #1D
Mar 6, 2011
north of you

Landeskog
E. Kane
Nino N.

Dumo-Letang
Cole-Schultz
Kulikov-Rudwedel

Kane over landeskog, #92 would take more stupid penalties then Neal.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If JR is talking about "tough" as in guys who will fight and do well in fights, then I don't know if guys like Landeskog even fit the bill. He's physical, but he's hardly a feared fighter.

Only guys who really fit that mold that can actually play are guys like Simmonds, Lucic, E. Kane and Maroon. After that, you'd have to settle for guys who are less skilled but can fight like M. Foligno, Martin, or (yuck) Tom Wilson.

Farnham4top6

Despres #1D
Mar 6, 2011
north of you
Wonder how much we would have to add in a Edler for Määttä deal.
Edler a mobile, physical, hard shooting, 2 way pmd would fit pens perfectly.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I wouldn't mind Tom Wilson. He's actually skilled when he WANTS to be. Good player.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
If JR is talking about "tough" as in guys who will fight and do well in fights, then I don't know if guys like Landeskog even fit the bill. He's physical, but he's hardly a feared fighter.

Only guys who really fit that mold that can actually play are guys like Simmonds, Lucic, E. Kane and Maroon. After that, you'd have to settle for guys who are less skilled but can fight like M. Foligno, Martin, or (yuck) Tom Wilson.

Winnipeg might be a team to look into trading with, they are a physical brand

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Winnipeg might be a team to look into trading with, they are a physical brand

They have a few centres options too if we can't sign bones.

Lowry and Perreault. I'd do something around Dumo for Perreault.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The issue there is the cost/term. If he wants 2x4m, I'd be pretty interested. If he wanted 3 years... I'd consider it, but I really do not know - that would be tough. More than 4 years, there's no chance I'd be interested.

Daley has had a bad season for us imo and we're going to have plenty of expensive inconsistent dmen as is. I don't think we should be interested unless we're losing a lot of players or his demands are very modest.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Stephen Desrocher wasn't signed by the Leafs. Potential pick-up for WBS. 21, 6'4 and 51 points in 65 games for the Kingston Frontenacs. Nikita Korostolev will re-enter the draft too. RW/LW with 63 points in 55 games for the Sarnia Sting and Peterborough Petes.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I wonder if Dallas is open to moving Johns. I feel like that kid would really thrive being back home and in our defensive system/development. He's big, fast for his size, has a booming shot, but I think he's lost in the shuffle in Dallas.

I mean they have: Klingberg, Lindell, Oleksiak (finally blossomed), Hamhuis, Nemeth, Honka, Johns, Bystrom, Bayreuther...

I hope they also invite Dylan McIlrath to camp, kid is a beast, I think he's just never been developed, just told to be mean and hit everything. I see a lot of Cole there when he was with the Blues, misused, but the Blues hung on and then traded him.

Come to think of it, I hope they just sign the guy, 1yr/2way contract. His skating is better than people think, massive dude, hits hard, crease clearer, imagine if Sullivan/Martin got a hold of this kid and really gave him purpose.

Last edited:

GenoMachino71

Jun 8, 2012
I wouldn't mind Tom Wilson. He's actually skilled when he WANTS to be. Good player.

I'd also take Tom Wilson on this team in a heartbeat.... get a guy like him and you dont have to worry about adding any more toughness to your roster.... he'll take your head off

he's an idiot no doubt and will take a bunch of stupid penalties.... but I can deal with that in the regular season

nothing would please me more than watching him takes runs at Dubinsky every time we play Columbus

but I doubt Washington trades him, and he's the kind of guy that once he hits free agency, some team will foolishly offer him like 4 years/$14 million

if the Pens do go that route, I'm hoping for Evander Kane.... I thought he could be had for a reasonable price and if it doesnt work out, you can try to flip him at the deadline or just let him walk after the season.... plus, I'm sure Botterill will have his eyes on some guys he's like to bring over to Buffalo

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Tom Wilson has skill in his game, I always thought he would be a Lucic type, but for whatever reason, he was never really developed in Washington. He literally spent 5 games in the AHL.

I wonder if the Pens can do the same as the Hawks.

Trade them (Vegas) Marc-Andre Fleury, then they promise to take Tom Kuhnhackl.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
They have a few centres options too if we can't sign bones.

Lowry and Perreault. I'd do something around Dumo for Perreault.

I don't know if I would want Perreault, he's quite small for a 3rd line C, he's also quite injury prone. With how teams play the Pens, that kid would be done. He's missed 61 games in the last 4yrs, produces on average of around 40-45pts.

There is still very much a premium set on defensemen, if the best you can do is Dumoulin, a kid that a TON of teams would want, is freaking Mathieu Perreault, then keep Dumo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad