Future of NHL on NBC

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
I think the real future of the NHL 'TV contract' is online. The fan base in NA is losing so much ground to MLS, but hockey fans are rabid and all over the world.

They would be better to go with someone like Netflix.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I think the real future of the NHL 'TV contract' is online. The fan base in NA is losing so much ground to MLS, but hockey fans are rabid and all over the world.

So make people pay 15 a month just to watch a "national tv" game on top of what they are already are paying for tv? i don't think so. Not everyone has netflix or willing to subscribe to netflik. That's how the league ends up hurting themselves in the long run.

Reactions: Llama19

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
So make people pay 15 a month just to watch a "national tv" game on top of what they are already are paying for tv? i don't think so. Not everyone has netflix or willing to subscribe to netflik. That's how the league ends up hurting themselves in the long run.
I don't think the standard "TV" deals are going to be that anymore though. I'm sure some executives want them to be, but I just don't see it. I see it broken down on several levels. The NHL market is older and in order to get to the younger generation the game has to be accessible as possible.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I don't think the standard "TV" deals are going to be that anymore though. I'm sure some executives want them to be, but I just don't see it. I see it broken down on several levels. The NHL market is older and in order to get to the younger generation the game has to be accessible as possible.

There are ways to make it accessible with out screwing the fans and themselves. And taking national tv games off tv networks that majority of everyone gets and put it on netflicks. You basically reducing how many households you get by a lot. Nevermind that you pretty much reduce how much the league is set to gain by a NHL Seattle team in terms of national tv ratings.

Reactions: Llama19

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH

In what way is the fanbase "losing ground" to the MLS? Regular season games outrate MLS cup telecasts. Lets calm down

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I'm fine with NBC. However they need to market games better and show more games per week with a better assortment of teams. Yes I get the Blackhawks draw ratings and whatnot but 4-5 times per month is a little nuts.

They need to dump NBCSN for the cup finals as not everyone gets that channel. You don't see the NBA finals on ESPN or the World Series on FS1.

If they do renew with NBC then ensure all playoff games are available to watch without relinquishing some to NHL Network and the Golf Channel. There's no excuse to have USA channel showing reruns of law and order while a playoff game is on Golf.

The 3 other major sports have more than one channel to show. MLB has Fox, TBS and ESPN.
NBA has espn and tnt . Fox could definitely get in the running for national games since they already have the footprint in the regional broadcasts.

But as stated earlier, Bettman better not make NBC the exclusive parter. If so, it needs to be much better . Not to mention, I only see Doc Emerick around for a few more years. Wouldn't be surprised to see him on the edge of retirement by the time the current contract expires.
And, if the exclusive deal with NBC would pay more money than splitting the national rights? should he still be fired?

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
With the schedule coming out it looks like they are broadening their horizons a bit with their National games, Still going to be Chicago, Washington and Pittsburgh heavy but at least they have plans to showcase Auston Matthew, Patrick Laine, Jack Eichel and more of their stars which is good. Looks like they are also introducing a traveling studio to a lot of National Games which I like that idea. Doesn't look like any on air talent is changing which is disapointing. NHL ponying up and getting Brian Burke would have been a game changer for them.

I disagree with FOX for the simple reason, they do a lot of hockey on a local level, I think at least half of the NHL teams in the states use their local Fox Sports Affiliate to do their games, which means they are set up for it at a lot of locations. FS North(Minnesota) FS Midwest (St. Louis) FS West (LA Kings)... And I think FOX does sports better than NBC does... I enjoy their College Football coverage a lot Gus F'n Johnson especially!
It is all about the local ratings. The NHL national telecasts do not do well outside of the participating markets. As much as the fans on here want to see Matthews and Laine, until they are playing in a large US market, they are not going to be on NBC, much. Eichel, yes as Buffalo does very well in their local market. Last I saw, they were 2nd only to Pittsburgh in local ratings.

My issue with NBCS is their insistence on these Wednesday Night rivalry games. Rangers play Chicago almost every year on this (sometimes twice) and the truth is, they are not rivals. Same for Rangers and Bruins. I get why they show them, they want the NY and Chicago markets, they want the NY and New England markets, so I guess it is just semantics.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
That's why if they stick with NBC then that area will have to be modified. I always use the NBA as an example but do you think they give a crap about reruns of a Tv show with TNT during the playoffs. I'm sorry but Shark Tank reruns and Law and Order should not be played while the NHL playoffs are relinquished to Golf
Does it really matter? Isn't the Golf Channel pretty much part of every sports tier nowadays?

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
To those who are saying that they don't want ESPN to have rights again because they will just end up not talking hockey at all, you're acting as if NBC treats the NHL like they are their prized possession. Do they even have an NHL-dedicated show that isn't a pregame show? The league is non-existent on NBCSN on days that they don't broadcast games. The Dan Patrick show rarely mentions the NHL.
I completely agree. I stopped watching SportsCenter a long time ago, long before the NHL was no longer on ESPN. I don't understand why people are so caught up on where the league would rank within the station. In the US, the NHL is always going to take a backseat to the NFL, MLB, NBA.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
There are ways to make it accessible with out screwing the fans and themselves. And taking national tv games off tv networks that majority of everyone gets and put it on netflicks. You basically reducing how many households you get by a lot. Nevermind that you pretty much reduce how much the league is set to gain by a NHL Seattle team in terms of national tv ratings.
Everyone doesn't get NBCSN. And "Netflicks?" come on Tommy.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
This, unfortunately, is what I think. If I were an exec at any of the major broadcasters, I would low-ball the NHL. The league doesn't pull enough viewership to get me ad-buys. And, I am relatively sure that, long-term, sports media is going digital. The young fan wants to be notified when something happens, and watch the replay on their phone - not watch the whole game live. It wouldn't be worth 400-500M/yr to me for what I would perceive to be decreasing revenues.

Really? You don't think we could get $400-500mil/yr. Idk I do agree about the decreasing revenues. I feel we as a league we've over performed there (credit to Bettman getting sponsorship deals). I do worry that NHL is kind of living off of past glory as far as TV revenue is concerned. The viewership numbers are down and show continuing decreasing trends the regular season numbers slide are the most concerning. That said I believe that $400-500 mil pr/yr is attainable if I'm wrong I will admit I was. This year is pivotal though as in the dye could be cast if numbers don't improve as far as getting that type of money. We need a ratings recovery year in the worst.

Last edited:

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
In what way is the fanbase "losing ground" to the MLS? Regular season games outrate MLS cup telecasts. Lets calm down

As a fan of both leagues that is a rare occurrence and only happens when MLS Cup is aired on cable ESPN and not broadcast cable like FOX; that's like comparing a Stanley Cup Game on NBC vs NBCSN. Don't discount what he said though. You could say the same about Regular season MLS games this year pulling more/or about the same as some Stanley Cup games. There were numerous MLS regular season games that had 1.1+ mil viewers including one with 1.56 mil viewers.

NHL does have a ratings problem. The regular numbers are decreasing with multiple double digit % losses in viewership since NBC signed the 2011 deal. MLS ratings are up and look like they'll be up around 300k plus this season up from 258k last year.
NHL RATINGS.JPG MLSRatings.JPG

Last edited:

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Really? You don't think we could get $400-500mil/yr. Idk I do agree about the decreasing revenues. I feel we as a league we've over performed there (credit to Bettman getting sponsorship deals). I do worry that NHL is kind of living off of past glory as far as TV revenue is concerned. The viewership numbers are down and show continuing decreasing trends the regular season numbers slide are the most concerning. That said I believe that $400-500 mil pr/yr is attainable if I'm wrong I will admit I was. This year is pivotal though as in the die could be cast if numbers don't improve as far as getting that type of money. We need a ratings recovery year in the worst.

The current deal is 200M. Why should NBC pay twice that for a league which hasn't really increased its grip on North American fans? And, in fact, has an aging fan base?

In general, why is the NHL not putting lots of $$ into developing its own digital platform when it's obvious that the next generation of fans isn't going to tune in to full games? This is the 2nd reason I question the 500M/yr idea.

There is just no reason to think that the value is any higher. Think about the money....
Why does NBC purchase the rights? Because viewership makes advertising buys worth it.
Why do advertisers buy? Because people are watching.
If you suggest that the broadcast rights are twice as high, that means that the advertises are willing to spend twice as much on ads. That suggest more money in the pockets of the viewers collectively.

I don't think you can make that argument.

I actually think every league is in the midst of a media contract bubble, with the possible exception of NBA (at least on the national level). NBA might be different because the game is fast moving, and their audience may be less digitally minded (although I actually don't know that).

But, in any case, it looks like a bubble to me.

As to the comparison to soccer, the question is not whether MLS is gaining, it's whether EPL is gaining.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
The current deal is 200M. Why should NBC pay twice that for a league which hasn't really increased its grip on North American fans? And, in fact, has an aging fan base?

In general, why is the NHL not putting lots of $$ into developing its own digital platform when it's obvious that the next generation of fans isn't going to tune in to full games? This is the 2nd reason I question the 500M/yr idea.

There is just no reason to think that the value is any higher. Think about the money....
Why does NBC purchase the rights? Because viewership makes advertising buys worth it.
If you suggest that the broadcast rights are twice as high, that means that the advertises are willing to spend twice as much on ads. That suggest more money in the pockets of the viewers collectively.

I actually think every league is in the midst of a media contract bubble, with the possible exception of NBA (at least on the national level). NBA might be different because the game is fast moving, and their audience may be less digitally minded (although I actually don't know that).

As to the comparison to soccer, the question is not whether MLS is gaining, it's whether EPL is gaining.
you honestly think a deal signed 10 years ago isn't going to double in size?? you think NBC is upset at the consistent content it has? ratings were great for the playoffs without New York or Chicago even in it, regular season ratings for the big 4 sports are down. once another company shows interest in the NHL, there are a few possible players, this deal will hit over $500 mil per year on multiple networks or just one, I do not see how anyone can argue that right now with the way the markets have gone up and these channels want content to advertise on.

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018

Idk I just think that in the in NHL being a bulk buy is what will keep it appealing enough to networks. It's live content and there is a ton of it. I agree and have conceded before the numbers aren't good and have slid most of the NBC contract minus the lockout year and 15/16 season. The question is though what can NBC find to replace it? Sure they can go and not offer NHL much in the way of a increase say something like $250-300 mil per/yr right? But NHL can say screw it and sell off more games to say ESPN. Even though a NHL package might not be worth much split up and NHL might just make the same amount if they would've just taken the NBC deal, the thing is it puts NBC at a disadvantage. They'd lose live content. So I just see it is beneficial to both parties to keep each other happy. $400-500 mil may be more than what NHL ratings deserve with aging demo but it keeps NHL happy and keeps NBC from having to go find more live content.

The one major thing that could prove you right is if rating don't at least stabilize and grow because you can't have as the situation currently is 8 yrs into the 10 yr deal 6 season of losses in TV ratings. other leagues have had losses in ratings during that time but nothing like NHL has had. NHL has had the cord cutting hit it actually hard because it was already losing viewers in the US.

Last edited:

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
MLS is doing well in fast growing demographics the NHL has virtually no relevance in.

Reactions: eddygee

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
MLS is doing well in fast growing demographics the NHL has virtually no relevance in.

I agree combined with moderate but steady TV growth in viewers and favorable demographics with network advertisers. I wouldn't be shocked if MLS got $300-400 mil with their next US TV deal in 2022. They have announced teams to start with in two years in Cincinnati, Miami and Nashville. Yesterday in St.Louis the Taylor family who Enterprise announced at a press conference a bid to bring MLS to St.Louis in 2022 with a $250 mil 22,000 seat stadium.

Last edited:
Reactions: varsaku

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Not everyone has netflik either. Ratings would drop even more if they go only. What a dumb idea. I doubt its going to happen.
I'd imagine Netflix is a much more popular platform than nbcsn or such. It also reaches an entirely new audience.

Hockey fans would easily fork over $8 a month to watch games. They do it all the time for streaming services.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad