Future of NHL on NBC

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
If Bettman settles for another exclusive deal, that's the last straw. He needs to be fired.
I can think of 50 things that Bettman would "need to be fired" for before this one crosses my mind, and none of those 50 are really "yeah, he really needs to go" killers.

Espn may use some of money currently used for MNF for hockey or MLB playoffs They are fed up with paying the most for the worst deal in the NFL
And who's to blame for that? Themselves. ABC was losing money on MNF, ESPN decided to jack the bid up significantly to make sure it got a piece of the league, then elected to pay 73% more in the face of declining ratings and the NFL's shift to putting more attention on Sunday night and even Thursday night games.

I say, "let 'em crash."

Even though I know it's not the European soccer style, three things make sense
*-ESPN and NBC are not televising games to a European audience
*-The scoreboards fit their existing Chyron templates they use for all other sports
*-It's easier for the eye & the brain to process HOME 0 VISITOR 0 than HOME 0:0 VISITOR
1. Absolutely correct
2. Also correct
3. Small nitpick: easier for the American eye and brain to process that. We're trainable, but it will take a few generations and you have to deal with the entire 40+, THAT'S NOT HOW THEY DID IT IN MY DAY, I DON'T LIKE THEM NEW FANGLED TECHNOLOGY STUFF, IN MY DAY WE DIDN'T HAVE COMPUTERS TO DRAW ENGINEERING PLANS, I DON'T KNOW WHY THESE KIDS TODAY NEED IT! crowd.

ESPN doesn’t have the cash as they’ve over spent on the contracts with other leagues and sports they currently have.
Correct, but this needs more elaboration.

ESPN has spent a ton on contracts for the NFL, NBA, MLB, and college football and basketball. As alluded to up above, ESPN would like to add the NHL to cement itself as "the center of all sports" but doesn't have room for the NHL on the main network or even really on ESPN2. [It really wanted the NCAA basketball tournament, and had a nearly gift-wrapped chance to scoop it, but decided to pass and is now locked out until 2032.] That leaves ... whatever other minor networks it has and ESPN+. The NHL doesn't want to get relegated to 4th-tier status (or lower) on ESPN yet again and get treated like an afterthought with ESPN being the main partner. Joe Hockey Fan isn't going to the local watering hole and getting ESPN+, and Joe Hockey Traveler is doing good to get ESPN in some places; asking for even ESPN2 is pushing it. There's NWIH most hotels are carrying the extended channels, and he probably doesn't want to set up a subscription to ESPN+ for a lone game every so often.

The question is, and always has been, and always will be, "what can the NHL gain by going to ESPN that it can't get from existing outlets?" If ESPN is willing to fork over money for streaming service, then it's got a shot at getting in the door. If ESPN thinks it's getting to be even the co-lead on broadcasting and will get major games on the NHL schedule, :biglaugh:

Reactions: eddygee

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I can think of 50 things that Bettman would "need to be fired" for before this one crosses my mind, and none of those 50 are really "yeah, he really needs to go" killers.

And who's to blame for that? Themselves. ABC was losing money on MNF, ESPN decided to jack the bid up significantly to make sure it got a piece of the league, then elected to pay 73% more in the face of declining ratings and the NFL's shift to putting more attention on Sunday night and even Thursday night games.

I say, "let 'em crash."

1. Absolutely correct
2. Also correct
3. Small nitpick: easier for the American eye and brain to process that. We're trainable, but it will take a few generations and you have to deal with the entire 40+, THAT'S NOT HOW THEY DID IT IN MY DAY, I DON'T LIKE THEM NEW FANGLED TECHNOLOGY STUFF, IN MY DAY WE DIDN'T HAVE COMPUTERS TO DRAW ENGINEERING PLANS, I DON'T KNOW WHY THESE KIDS TODAY NEED IT! crowd.

Correct, but this needs more elaboration.

ESPN has spent a ton on contracts for the NFL, NBA, MLB, and college football and basketball. As alluded to up above, ESPN would like to add the NHL to cement itself as "the center of all sports" but doesn't have room for the NHL on the main network or even really on ESPN2. [It really wanted the NCAA basketball tournament, and had a nearly gift-wrapped chance to scoop it, but decided to pass and is now locked out until 2032.] That leaves ... whatever other minor networks it has and ESPN+. The NHL doesn't want to get relegated to 4th-tier status (or lower) on ESPN yet again and get treated like an afterthought with ESPN being the main partner. Joe Hockey Fan isn't going to the local watering hole and getting ESPN+, and Joe Hockey Traveler is doing good to get ESPN in some places; asking for even ESPN2 is pushing it. There's NWIH most hotels are carrying the extended channels, and he probably doesn't want to set up a subscription to ESPN+ for a lone game every so often.

The question is, and always has been, and always will be, "what can the NHL gain by going to ESPN that it can't get from existing outlets?" If ESPN is willing to fork over money for streaming service, then it's got a shot at getting in the door. If ESPN thinks it's getting to be even the co-lead on broadcasting and will get major games on the NHL schedule, :biglaugh:
ESPN's MLB contact is terrible they do not get any playoff games which is when out of town fans care about other teams in the league

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad