Speculation: Future Coach of the Sens | Part III - Revenge of the Yeo

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
My problem is with the crying and moaning over the non-issues, and the lack of focus on the actual issues.

The real issue is that management screwed up in evaluating the value of Boudreau, and the cost it would take to get him here. Talk all you want about that, and I'll agree. No excuses here.

Now, if you continue to rant about how Melnyk's desire to meet with the candidates cost us, or that we didn't fly down immediately to meet him, well that's nonsense.

We were given the same chance to negotiate a contract as any other team. The time it took to have the interviews isn't the issue, nor is Melnyk talking to Boudreau, and in all likelihood neither is any of the crap he said. The problem was a risk adverse decision to not offer a 4th year.

That's just it.

People immediately jump onto the whole blame Melnyk directly thing. There is a difference between forming an opinion with rational thought and evidence, and just pulling everything that could possibly support your case into play and calling it fact.

The latter tends to go on a lot more around here than the former.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
What if they scored Boudreau as a 9.5/10 and felt comfortable giving him 3 x $2.75 or $3 million or whatever BUT they've scored someone else a 9/10 and know they can get them at their set price and term. Is giving Boudreau the extra year and taking on that risk worth that small extra bit of something something?

If you won't hire a superior candidate over a minor difference in term, you deserve to be skewered.

That's just it.

People immediately jump onto the whole blame Melnyk directly thing. There is a difference between forming an opinion with rational thought and evidence, and just pulling everything that could possibly support your case into play and calling it fact.

The latter tends to go on a lot more around here than the former.

Was it not Melnyk who told us that the resources would be available to go out and hire the best man for the job?

If that were true, why did we balk on an extra year?

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
It's disappointing, and for now it looks like Dorion or Melnyk weren't willing to commit long-term. No reason to get apoplectic or wallow in self-pity. It might have been a straight-up value comparison. Like Tundra and Ice have said, you can spend big on coaching, but if you don't think the difference is worth millions between Boudreu and your 2nd choice, don't spend it.

If the difference was just over 1 year of term, imo they definitely did make the wrong decision. Assuming Boudreau would have signed for that difference. Maybe the difference was in the $$ available to round out the talent on the roster. In which case, oh well, we cheer for a small market team. Hopefully Melnyk's forecast of untold riches in the new place come true.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Boudreau is just the kind of coach that Ottawa never hired over Murray's tenure. He was experienced and would not probably agree to be "mentored" Also experienced coaches cost more so that suited Menyk too.
Dorion is the new guy and was to make his decisions based on consultation with Melnyk and Murray. So I am not putting the blame for this on Dorion.

Lets see how this plays out. If the Sens hire Yeo than that might make an interesting
coaches rivalry.

Yeo took a Wild team that was out of the playoffs for several years and after a year brought it the playoffs for the next three years and to the second round two years-Sens have only made it to the second round once since their Finals series.And they lost to the mighty Black Hawks each of the three years they went to the playoffs, a pretty formidable foe.

As for the others. Crawford seems desperate to get back into the NHL and has said he would be happy to return as an assistant,not a great idea. Boucher is dynamic and intelligent but his teams seem to bomb out on the ice and he was even fired from his Swiss team this year. Just no to Carlyle and Hartley never seems to stick anywhere for long. Like Hitch he wears out his welcome fast.

So I am hoping for Yeo,I am afraid that with one of the others we will be back wondering in the desert.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
If you won't hire a superior candidate over a minor difference in term, you deserve to be skewered.

Was it not Melnyk who told us that the resources would be available to go out and hire the best man for the job?

If that were true, why did we balk on an extra year?

I could list half a dozen possible reasons, but nobody really knows why so what's the point?

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
A lot of people are oh so angry over this I have a serious question for everyone who is so mad about us not signing Bruce. Can you explain me to what makes Bruce a good coach ? Not one person in here has actually explained why not signing him was a mistake. I just want to know what makes a good coach ? What does Bruce do that is so special that we should all be so angry that he's not here ? What system does Bruce run ? Would his system be good with our players ?

I am just very curious so many people are so angry but I can't quite figure out why. All I have read so far is everyone is mad that someone brought RC cola to the party instead of Coke.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
It's disappointing, and for now it looks like Dorion or Melnyk weren't willing to commit long-term. No reason to get apoplectic or wallow in self-pity. It might have been a straight-up value comparison. Like Tundra and Ice have said, you can spend big on coaching, but if you don't think the difference is worth millions between Boudreu and your 2nd choice, don't spend it.

If the difference was just over 1 year of term, imo they definitely did make the wrong decision. Assuming Boudreau would have signed for that difference. Maybe the difference was in the $$ available to round out the talent on the roster. In which case, oh well, we cheer for a small market team. Hopefully Melnyk's forecast of untold riches in the new place come true.

I sincerely hope that people don't actually think that is going to be true.

If there any "untold riches" he and his family will pocket them.

The move to Lebreton is not going to change how things are done.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
I could list half a dozen possible reasons, but nobody really knows why so what's the point?

No you can't. This is on management plan and simple.

"Spend when the time is right"
"We have the resources to get the best guy available"

Melnyk's all talk.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
No you can't. This is on management plan and simple.

"Spend when the time is right"
"We have the resources to get the best guy available"

Melnyk's all talk.

Of course I can. Watch me!

Dorian didn't feel comfortable giving the fourth year with two other coaches already on the payroll.

Dorian felt that Boudreau wasn't that much stronger a candidate than whoever else to justify the dollar amount and term.

Dorian thinks *insert coaches name here* is the better option period.

Dorian ****ed up the negotiations, figured Boudreau wanted to coach the Senators more than he really did.

Boudreau wanted extra dollars compared to what the wild offered to make up for higher taxes.

Boudreau was worried about all the awesome strip clubs in Gatineau tempting him into adultery, and felt better living in a place where strippers don't take their panties off.

Boudreau didn't want to live in a city where they don't have Hardee's or In and Out Burger joints.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Another poster who can't swallow their pride and admit their wrong. Melnykphobia amirite?

You also keep yapping about how the only issue Sam raises is about how Melnyk wanted to meet Boudrea; however, if that was truly the only issue nobody would be "whining".

He keeps falling back to that one point. Yes I took exception to it at the time. But it's one of 3 or 4 different red flags that went up for me over the course of this whole event.

It's a lot more appropriate to say those things could very well have affected the hiring, instead of saying they had no bearing on it whatsoever, considering the fact that he didn't sign here...

But whatever, I'm just shocked that people can still stand behind them and try to justify the fact that we didn't want to give him the 4th year.

It's only going to make them look worse when Dorion gets up on stage and gives us a very shaky statement on why it didn't work out.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Of course I can. Watch me!

Dorian didn't feel comfortable giving the fourth year with two other coaches already on the payroll

That doesn't matter for a GM, it's not his money. The only person that would be affected by this is Melnyk.

Boudreau was also the safe choice out of all candidates, but we didn't think that was worth an extra year.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Another poster who can't swallow their pride and admit their wrong. Melnykphobia amirite?

You also keep yapping about how the only issue Sam raises is about how Melnyk wanted to meet Boudrea; however, if that was truly the only issue nobody would be "whining".

Then complain about the teams risk adverse strategy. It;s entirely possible that comes from the top (Melnyk), so you can still vent about him.

Criticize when he does something irrational, and I'll have no alternative but to agree with you. Stick to the issues that matter, and you'll hear no criticisms from me. Bemoan the stuff of little relevance, or used innocuous statements or actions to vilify him, and I'll call you out on it.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
That doesn't matter for a GM, it's not his money. The only person that would be affected by this is Melnyk.

Boudreau was also the safe choice out of all candidates, but we didn't think that was worth an extra year.

WHy wouldn't it? I doubt that Dorian wants to be known for repeating a mistake Murray made repeatedly.

Only point is, nobody knows exactly why Boudreau wasn't hired. Despite many people wanting to jump to the same conclusion.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
WHy wouldn't it? I doubt that Dorian wants to be known for repeating a mistake Murray made repeatedly.

Only point is, nobody knows exactly why Boudreau wasn't hired. Despite many people wanting to jump to the same conclusion.

Several reports from insiders have stated it's because of money. What else could it be?

He was clearly the guy we were after.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Then complain about the teams risk adverse strategy. It;s entirely possible that comes from the top (Melnyk), so you can still vent about him.

Criticize when he does something irrational, and I'll have no alternative but to agree with you. Stick to the issues that matter, and you'll hear no criticisms from me. Bemoan the stuff of little relevance, or used innocuous statements or actions to vilify him, and I'll call you out on it.

Ya we know your there to call us out on it. You look so smart when you make up childish hashtags to describe how other posters are feeling. Is that not something that your children would also do?

Get off your high horse. Your starting to look as bad as Melnyk with all your excuses at to why things didn't work out like you'd hoped they would.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
A lot of people are oh so angry over this I have a serious question for everyone who is so mad about us not signing Bruce. Can you explain me to what makes Bruce a good coach ? Not one person in here has actually explained why not signing him was a mistake. I just want to know what makes a good coach ? What does Bruce do that is so special that we should all be so angry that he's not here ? What system does Bruce run ? Would his system be good with our players ?

I am just very curious so many people are so angry but I can't quite figure out why. All I have read so far is everyone is mad that someone brought RC cola to the party instead of Coke.

Boudreau took a team that was regressive possession-wise under Carlyle and got them to play very well. He's excellent with young players and can get veterans to buy in. He's quite good with the media as well, which is a must in Ottawa. He has local ties, which would be good here. He has that game seven record, but guess what, so do the Senators, don't think the org has ever won a game seven. He's low-maintenance as well. He would have been the ideal coach here, and it's baffling that after saying we had all the resources and stuff that we'd balk at a four-year deal. I mean, if you want stability then you're not going to can him after a year or two...right? And if you preach stability then can a guy after two years, then what the pineapple?

Boudreau had the Ducks 1st in Pacific during each of his seasons there. They apparently had excellent special teams too (one of our worst problems) and I'm leaving in a sec but pretty sure he's had a better defensive record that we have. And he preaches an uptempo style that goes quite well with the Karlssking.

I jokingly said I expected Brad Shaw (local ties and cheap) or Bob Hartley (local ties and probably cheap) but I now seriously expect those guys.

To use your analogy, but switching to booze, we had a chance at Macallan 25 year but instead we're getting Johnnie Walker Red, it's still whiskey but our owner has enough bills for the good stuff but instead gives us President's Choice everything.

Last edited:

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I have to say I'm a bit disappointed.

Obviously I don't know exactly why they chose not to give him that extra bit he wanted and don't know who Ottawa will hire. But I feel like Boudreau was the beat available and not getting him seems a bit like Ottawa is unwilling to do what it takes to make a contending team.

I'll wait to see what happens but if this team continues this trend of hiring and firing coaches and continues to be this middle of the road team... I expect players like Karlsson to leave when contract is up. I'm not that happy about the way this team could be headed. And to me the problem starts with Melnyk...

So with all of this I say... sigh...

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
Not that anyone asked but here's my thought:

Dorion wanted, not only a coach with NHL success, but also a young coach that could grow with this young team and young GM. I think that makes Yeo the obvious choice here. I'll be shocked if he isn't brought in very soon.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Not that anyone asked but here's my thought:

Dorion wanted, not only a coach with NHL success, but also a young coach that could grow with this young team and young GM. I think that makes Yeo the obvious choice here. I'll be shocked if he isn't brought in very soon.

Why did he make Boudreau an offer then? He was obviously our number one target, we just failed at the negotiation table.

You don't go making offers just so that you can say you did it. Like we aren't going to just go and offer Stamkos 5m/yr knowing full well he's going to reject it just to appease the fan base and said we tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad