Management FULL VIDEO - Contrite Cam Neely casts blame across Bruins organization while apologizing for signing Mitchell Miller (MOD Warning post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I still don't understand what Willie O'Ree has to do with this signing to be completely honest. People keep mentioning that he should've been consulted or something, I don't get it.
If the Bruins had done this right (IMO) they would have got the vetting correct. Then they would have reached out to the family and made their case (whether the family agreed or not - it would have been the smart move). Then they would have had the kid sit down one on one alone with Willie O’Ree (our diversity champion who is well respected) and if Willie was convinced he was sincere and true to his vow of change/changing that would have been a powerful vote in his favor.

Hard for fans to get too up in arms — if Willie O’Ree was convinced, who am I to say he’s wrong.

Sadly it appeared little to none of the above happened.

By the way, if Willie was NOT convinced (given scenario above) the issue should have been DOA.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Harkins has been on our radar on this board for at least a year now for his idiotic, lowest-common-denominator tweets. from the first time I saw what he was putting out there and learned his role in the org it seemed like he didn't fit the culture of professionalism that they'd built over the last decade+. Whether or not you agreed with any particular position he held, the way he conducts himself on twitter is crass and unprofessional.

It has seemed to me for a while that it was only a matter of time before this guy did or said something stupid to draw negative attention to the Bruins org, but I never imagined it would be something this catastrophic.

I figured he would eventually tweet something offensive and quietly get fired or whatever. Instead he got promoted in the last year and then seemingly carried enough weight in the org to guide Neely and Sweeney to one of the most explosively bad PR failures in Bruins history. I always assumed the leadership in the Bruins FO had enough sense and structure in place that a guy like this, functioning only as an amateur scout couldn't do any real lasting harm to the org, but that has obviously proven to be false.

I think that's one of the biggest pieces of fallout from this: it has exposed how fragile the organizational structure in the Bruins org really is. They've done such a tremendous job building a culture of integrity and accountability in the locker room, and immediately around the team, but that culture clearly doesn't currently extend into the front office. IMO that's a massive problem and something that they need to work to address immediately. We've seen with the Blackhawks failures just how destructive it can be when you let a poor culture permeate your org and I hope as a life-long Bruins fan that they recognize the problem and work to fix it.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
The moral of the story to me is that everyone makes mistakes, it's what you do after them that is the difference.

Take ownership.

Stop the bleeding.

Make it right.

I'd rather see something positive come out of this like real $ to organizations that promote diversity and anti-bullying, and some some clear words by the management team about how things will be different and real clear actions by the organization to back them up. To me that's worth a lot more than just letting some scout go or shuffling management titles. Do something real.
I agree 100%, but if I had to put money on it - I'd guess Brett Harkins will get canned and that will be it.

I think the players will definitely do something, hopefully ownership/management does as well.

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Why was Miller allowed to play in the USHL?

Isn't that the top US junior league?
Because the sad fact is no one in any position of power in any governing body actually f***ing cares what happens to the victims, only that they can turnaround an market the guys responsible.

Hockey Canada, USA Hockey, all the same if you ask me… douchebags

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
A competent organization is announcing the resignations of Sweeney, Neely, and hte scouts involved in trying to push this through

Reactions: BMC and chrisab123

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Because the sad fact is no one in any position of power in any governing body actually f***ing cares what happens to the victims, only that they can turnaround an market the guys responsible.

Hockey Canada, USA Hockey, all the same if you ask me… douchebags
Sadly this is one of the most on target posts I’ve seen over the past few days.

It’s about money, power, and winning. Most of the time Vladimir Putin could be an NHL’er if they could get away with it. That and if he didn’t trip over the rug while lumbering around the rink.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I still don't understand what Willie O'Ree has to do with this signing to be completely honest. People keep mentioning that he should've been consulted or something, I don't get it.

"I still don't understand what the Road Runner has to do with this signing to be completely honest. People keep mentioning that we should've consulted him before signing Wile E. Coyote but I don't get it."

Reactions: The National

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Every mainstream TV station is leading with this story.

Neely’s morning confession, which outrageously was not aired live by NESN (gambling fans were treated to the latest episode of “Follow The Money”)

What an incredibly intelligent, caring, thoughtful woman Isiah's mother is. I mean, she could've really gone for the jugular with her comments but she rose above and spoke of the situation so well and succinctly.

Mentioned the B's players who came forward and said that "due diligence" would've saved everybody from this happening instead of the players having to make amends. EVEN mentioned that maybe this will help MM realize and understand and improve himself so that he can continue his hockey pursuits (paraphrasing here). "Once he understands the magnitude of what he's done." Like she cares for ALL PARTY'S INVOLVED! WOW!
Sounded to me like she even thought about how she would've handled it from their end. Major Kudo's to her!

"I still don't understand what the Road Runner has to do with this signing to be completely honest. People keep mentioning that we should've consulted him before signing Wile E. Coyote but I don't get it."
Is that the name of the team that he plays for?

Last edited:

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
So wait -- word on the street is that the scout who recommended Mitchell is the one who will be canned? He may be an insensitive D-Bag but I'm pretty sure he didn't make the final decision.

Much like Mitchell himself, there are two factors. The disgraceful act(s) itself/themselves, and the response and level of atonement to those acts. Mitchell failed, his agent failed, and the B's aren't off to a good start based on today's presser and news.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
So wait -- word on the street is that the scout who recommended Mitchell is the one who will be canned? He may be an insensitive D-Bag but I'm pretty sure he didn't make the final decision.

Much like Mitchell himself, there are two factors. The disgraceful act(s) itself/themselves, and the response and level of atonement to those acts. Mitchell failed, his agent failed, and the B's aren't off to a good start based on today's presser and news.
It will be framed like this.

Said scout recommended Miller. He was told to do the back ground and all this. He tells Sweeney or Langenbrunner, kid checks out he's done what he needs to. They assume he has called the family and this and that. Sweeney brings him in, they get to know him, Neely is brought in. They get Nadeau's thoughts on his potential. Neely / Sweeney say they weren't given the whole picture, scout fired and the organization will come out with some sort of new vetting process "so it never happens again". The fact is, they knew exactly who Miller was and they all needed to check it out from Neely on down so this would not happen. The fact that Neely was told it was a one time thing and he forgot the whole Arizona thing is alarming, unless of course that's Sweeney's/Nadeau's job.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The strategy is pretty clear from here - fire Harkins to cauterize the wound and fix blame, make a gesture of some kind to Meyer-Crothers and his family, announce review and changes of internal scouting and diligence policies, and then try and put all this behind the organization and move on.

Is that would should happen? Probably not, really at this point I'm not quite sure what the full repercussions should be. But something very close to that is likely what's going to be attempted.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The strategy is pretty clear from here - fire Harkins to cauterize the wound and fix blame, make a gesture of some kind to Meyer-Crothers and his family, announce review and changes of internal scouting and diligence policies, and then try and put all this behind the organization and move on.

Is that would should happen? Probably not, really at this point I'm not quite sure what the full repercussions should be. But something very close to that is likely what's going to be attempted.
100% what will happen. I get not cleaning house 11 games into the season (not that it is the right thing to do) but i would be sure to re-assign Neely and Sweeney after the season,

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

There is a significant racial aspect to the systematic bullying.

Check out the victim statements. They have been pasted here repeatedly over the past 4 or 5 threads so it should be easy to find.

I won't repost them because quite frankly I am tired of reading it.

I just want someone to man up in this situation. Take responsibility.

So we can all move on.

Reactions: BMC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad