News Article: Fuelled by Dispassion (CBC news article)

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Demand is "mature"... I like that terminology. It's very accurate and it's quite illustrative. Winnipeg fans used to feel a genuine sense of obligation and debt to Chipman on top of the usual fan drivers such as love of the game and the team. I think that after so many years of costs exceeding value, the time of reckoning is closing in...
I'm not sure that there will be any reckoning. That 5 or 6 game home losing streak was a disaster! I know personally thats the stretch where I decided I wouldn't be using my seats as much its also when much of the negative commentary popped up. I can see things turning just as quickly the other way if they can continue to string some wins together.......particularly at home.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
A few observations.

The lack of Friday and Saturday games. I suspect this has something to do with the Moose/AHL being a Friday to Sunday league. Remember the only reason they are here is TSNE thought Thunder Bay was going to build them a new arena to play in and TSNE to manage. They pulled them out is St Johns then the deal fell apart and they ended a plan B. The sooner they leave the better.

7 pm start times. It might sound like a minor thing but for ticket groups that are from outside the perimeter that start time doesn’t exactly leave time to get downtown, parked and have supper after working until 5 o’clock.

Then there’s the on ice product. Despite having one of the better forward groups the low event hockey isn’t very entertaining.

Reactions: Channelcat

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
A few observations.

The lack of Friday and Saturday games. I suspect this has something to do with the Moose/AHL being a Friday to Sunday league. Remember the only reason they are here is TSNE thought Thunder Bay was going to build them a new arena to play in and TSNE to manage. They pulled them out is St Johns then the deal fell apart and they ended a plan B. The sooner they leave the better.

7 pm start times. It might sound like a minor thing but for ticket groups that are from outside the perimeter that start time doesn’t exactly leave time to get downtown, parked and have supper after working until 5 o’clock.

Then there’s the on ice product. Despite having one of the better forward groups the low event hockey isn’t very entertaining.

Wow this post was interesting. I had no idea the Moose actually block weekend games for the Jets. I am shocked.

Like having the Moose in the city but it sounds like there is a venue/timing issue. Would it be possible for the Moose to share the rink being built for the Winnipeg Ice?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
They gotta lower ticket prices in Winnipeg, that's pretty much the only problem for buying tickets, but also going to the game and back can be a hassle depending on where you live, I mean luckily for me I can walk from work to the game and back to my work parking spot. I also do sell tickets the odd time, I up it depending on when the game is or I just give them away to colleagues if I just want to go to the lake for the weekend, or sometimes I have too much work to do then when the next game comes I don't even want to go because I'm too tired.

But the problem is also the way TNSE runs things, Paul Maurice shouldn't be the head coach anymore and how they're too loyal to their people as I do understand a good workplace treats people right, but they're out of control. Before you know it by the time I'm old the entire front office will be highlighted by Heisingers, President, General Manager, Assistant General Manager, Head Coach, Assistant Coach, might as well call the team the Winnipeg Heisingers.

What I'm trying to say is they're making it a problem. I think if the Jets fixed a few things within the team, we'd be a contender again.

The one thing we can't do anything about is the fact it's Winnipeg and it's cold.

Reactions: thegr8one66

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I'm not sure that there will be any reckoning. That 5 or 6 game home losing streak was a disaster! I know personally thats the stretch where I decided I wouldn't be using my seats as much its also when much of the negative commentary popped up. I can see things turning just as quickly the other way if they can continue to string some wins together.......particularly at home.
I certainly hope there's not a "no turning back" kind of reckoning. Just enough to wake up some of the tall foreheads at True North. I think that's already happened.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Kives is the most unlikable media figure in Winnipeg. So pompous and condescending..
Most unlikeable? Well, I guess Gord Sinclair retired, but I don't want to call Bartley unlikeable. Does he come across as pompous and condescending? Who am I kidding... yes he does.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I won't be renewing my season tickets for the first time since the team came back after next season.

At this point, it's just not worth it to me. It's a big cost that is paying little to me in terms of entertainment value. The games I have been to this season have been awful and that's before even remembering you're paying $100+ to be there. I also don't have the cash flow that others have that can afford to spend money on everything they want to do, so cutting Jets tickets gives a chance to go on a vacation or do something else with that money.

I don't think the team is in trouble but the honeymoon period is over and the team will have to start selling the tickets now instead of just assuming they will be sold because it's the big ticket in town.

Reactions: thegr8one66

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
They gotta lower ticket prices in Winnipeg, that's pretty much the only problem for buying tickets, but also going to the game and back can be a hassle depending on where you live, I mean luckily for me I can walk from work to the game and back to my work parking spot. I also do sell tickets the odd time, I up it depending on when the game is or I just give them away to colleagues if I just want to go to the lake for the weekend, or sometimes I have too much work to do then when the next game comes I don't even want to go because I'm too tired.

But the problem is also the way TNSE runs things, Paul Maurice shouldn't be the head coach anymore and how they're too loyal to their people as I do understand a good workplace treats people right, but they're out of control. Before you know it by the time I'm old the entire front office will be highlighted by Heisingers, President, General Manager, Assistant General Manager, Head Coach, Assistant Coach, might as well call the team the Winnipeg Heisingers.

What I'm trying to say is they're making it a problem. I think if the Jets fixed a few things within the team, we'd be a contender again.

The one thing we can't do anything about is the fact it's Winnipeg and it's cold.

There's mixed messages from Jets fans (just using this post as a jumping off point).

There's comments that we need to lower ticket prices but also that demand is lower. I can't sell my tickets for a discount. Why would ticket prices be the issue when they're being sold at less than STH price, and sometimes not selling at all? I'm sure not everyone has that issue all the time, but I don't see the price as a major turnoff. Going to a game is just a big commitment.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
There's mixed messages from Jets fans (just using this post as a jumping off point).

There's comments that we need to lower ticket prices but also that demand is lower. I can't sell my tickets for a discount. Why would ticket prices be the issue when they're being sold at less than STH price, and sometimes not selling at all? I'm sure not everyone has that issue all the time, but I don't see the price as a major turnoff. Going to a game is just a big commitment.

The issue is attending every game as a season ticket holder is not realistic, and when the price of tickets is too high it becomes harder to sell tickets for what you paid for them. When you start losing money on the games you can't attend, the benefit of being a season ticket holder takes a major blow. Low demand generally means more tickets available, which directly impacts a season ticket holder's ability to sell tickets to the games they can't attend for equal to what they paid for them.

Reactions: buggs

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The issue is going to every game is not realistic at the best of times, and when the price of tickets is too high it becomes harder to sell tickets for what you paid for them. When you start losing money on the games you can't attend, the benefit of being a season ticket holder takes a major blow. Low demand generally means more tickets available, which directly impacts a season ticket holder's ability to sell tickets to the games they can't attend for equal to what they paid for them.

Yes it does. But there's also a point for the team where prices are too low to continue operations.

The supply demand curve doesn't always work when business realities enter into things. I think the primary issue is lack of demand, not necessarily the pricing.

We see posts making fun of prices in Florida or Arizona being $12 for a lower bowl seat, and I hear that off this board as well, but then the same people balk at paying $60 to go sit in the upper deck. I don't think pricing is a huge concern on a game to game basis.

It will be for STHs in some regard. Last season I had to sell my Round 1 tickets - only got $10 over STH price and that was the morning of the game, they were up for a few days. The season before, I was selling games within an hour for a good price that let me buy the next round of games. What was the big dropoff? It's playoff hockey, not a Tuesday in January against the Blue Jackets. It wasn't a price thing.

If fans expect the team to be a Cup contender for years to come, that's a difficult thing to do and then fans just aren't aware of the realities of the NHL.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Yes it does. But there's also a point for the team where prices are too low to continue operations.

The supply demand curve doesn't always work when business realities enter into things. I think the primary issue is lack of demand, not necessarily the pricing.

We see posts making fun of prices in Florida or Arizona being $12 for a lower bowl seat, and I hear that off this board as well, but then the same people balk at paying $60 to go sit in the upper deck. I don't think pricing is a huge concern on a game to game basis.

It will be for STHs in some regard. Last season I had to sell my Round 1 tickets - only got $10 over STH price and that was the morning of the game, they were up for a few days. The season before, I was selling games within an hour for a good price that let me buy the next round of games. What was the big dropoff? It's playoff hockey, not a Tuesday in January against the Blue Jackets. It wasn't a price thing.

If fans expect the team to be a Cup contender for years to come, that's a difficult thing to do and then fans just aren't aware of the realities of the NHL.

Nobody expects $12 lower bowl seats in Winnipeg to be the norm.

Finding a price point where season ticket holders are able to sell games they can't attend for what they paid for them is reasonable. Pricing is one factor, team performance has a lot to do with it as well.

I don't think TNSE can be complacent right now.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Nobody expects $12 lower bowl seats in Winnipeg to be the norm.

Finding a price point where season ticket holders are able to sell games they can't attend for what they paid for them is reasonable. Pricing is one factor, team performance has a lot to do with it as well.
I also didn't like how the team itself was probably the number one competitor to the STH when it came to reselling tickets.

Reactions: buggs and Spock

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The issue is attending every game as a season ticket holder is not realistic, and when the price of tickets is too high it becomes harder to sell tickets for what you paid for them. When you start losing money on the games you can't attend, the benefit of being a season ticket holder takes a major blow. Low demand generally means more tickets available, which directly impacts a season ticket holder's ability to sell tickets to the games they can't attend for equal to what they paid for them.

Yup.

I know when the team first came here there were people that picked up seats for the sole purpose of reselling them at a profit. Now maybe that worked for a season or two, but that died, and those re-sellers have been weeded out. I don't think any STH can reasonably be expected to go to 40+ games a year. That's why people have to share tickets or resell those tickets they can't use.

The problem now is if you are trying to resell , you are lucky if you can resell, never mind trying to make a profit off of it. And yes some of that is the price is too high , but some of that has to do with the system put in place to resell. You can't set your own price, so if the team wants, they can undercut you. The fees to use seat exchange for the buyer are insanely unreasonable. If I want to sell my seats for a 50% loss then I should have the right to via seat exchange.

And if I don't want to use seat exchange, then it's up to me to find some other method to sell. And yes I know there are some.

It's becoming a hassle.

And when it comes time to renew, I really doubt anyone a TNSE can come up with a good reason to. With some hunting, I can now go to any game I want, I get flexible seating, and at a cost that is usually lower than the ST price.

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I also didn't like how the team itself was probably the number one competitor to the STH when it came to reselling tickets.

Yes this was my main complaint. It's not a good thing that a team can restrict the price I can sell at and then offer lower priced tickets at the same time.

My main point was more that I don't think the cost of tickets is the main problem.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
And if I don't want to use seat exchange, then it's up to me to find some other method to sell. And yes I know there are some.
Man, I don't miss those times I had to post on Kijiji when I was a STH. Now, you don't even have that option (Kijiji doesn't allow sport tickets anymore), but at the time it was often my only chance after the tickets sat on Seat Select (or Seat Exchange or whatever it's called) for too long.

Half the time I got stood up. I had to take time out of my day to meet with a stranger, I had do the legwork advertising on Kijiji, and many times the tickets didn't even sell on Kijiji. I called Kijiji buyers "vultures", because I always got several tire kickers who tried to talk me down to where I'd be taking a loss (sometimes significantly). However, almost all of the ones who bought my tickets looked like broke university kids who probably have trouble affording those crazy True North prices.

Last edited:
Reactions: cbcwpg

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Man, I don't miss those times I had to post on Kijiji when I was a STH. Now, you don't even have that option (Kijiji doesn't allow sport tickets anymore), but at the time it was often my only chance after the tickets sat on Seat Select for too long.

Half the time I got stood up. I had to take time out of my day to meet with a stranger, I had do the legwork advertising on Kijiji, and many times the tickets didn't even sell on Kijiji. I called Kijiji buyers "vultures", because I always got several tire kickers who tried to talk me down to where I'd be taking a loss (sometimes significantly). However, almost all of the ones who bought my tickets looked like broke university kids who probably have trouble affording those crazy True North prices.

That sounds like a demographic that the Jets will rely on to support the team down the road.

Accessibility is a key factor when creating and retaining a fan base.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
It's not the price increases so much as the loss of value. Jets season tickets used to make all kinds of sense. Now they seem like too much for too little in return.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
It's not the price increases so much as the loss of value. Jets season tickets used to make all kinds of sense. Now they seem like too much for too little in return.

It boils down to this for me: I can use fansfirst to pick and choose the games I want without any commitment or upfront cost, and without worrying about unloading tickets I can't use. That's why I will not be renewing. All of the other stuff like concession prices, re-entry policies, perks for STHs, matter very little to me.

If I was in an arrangement where someone was splitting my package with me every year I'd consider signing on again, but I can't find a taker. Which is not surprising considering how easy it is to buy tickets on the resale market these days. Fansfirst really is a game changer as it allows you to avoid the incredible hassle that came with kijiji and the massive markups of seatexchange. Sort of makes me wonder how long until the powers that be find a way to shut it down.

Reactions: Ggg99 and Spock

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Fansfirst really is a game changer as it allows you to avoid the incredible hassle that came with kijiji and the massive markups of seatexchange. Sort of makes me wonder how long until the powers that be find a way to shut it down.
giphy.gif

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
It boils down to this for me: I can use fansfirst to pick and choose the games I want without any commitment or upfront cost, and without worrying about unloading tickets I can't use. That's why I will not be renewing. All of the other stuff like concession prices, re-entry policies, perks for STHs, matter very little to me.

If I was in an arrangement where someone was splitting my package with me every year I'd consider signing on again, but I can't find a taker. Which is not surprising considering how easy it is to buy tickets on the resale market these days. Fansfirst really is a game changer as it allows you to avoid the incredible hassle that came with kijiji and the massive markups of seatexchange. Sort of makes me wonder how long until the powers that be find a way to shut it down.

Something I'm wondering too. If they don't shut it down I expect my group will die at the end of this contract (2 more years). Very few see merit in being in a group that requires you to take your proportional share of pre-season games and/or getting stuck with a February Tuesday night dud game as part of your five game share. Pay a little more (or perhaps less) and choose only the games you want.

I do agree that concession prices matter little to me. They put Goose Island back in near my section and I'll pay the exaggerated price versus saving money on a Bud. Plus it helps when I go anywhere else, notably golf courses and I now just laugh at how "cheap" the beer is from the beer cart girl.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Something I'm wondering too. If they don't shut it down I expect my group will die at the end of this contract (2 more years). Very few see merit in being in a group that requires you to take your proportional share of pre-season games and/or getting stuck with a February Tuesday night dud game as part of your five game share. Pay a little more (or perhaps less) and choose only the games you want.

I do agree that concession prices matter little to me. They put Goose Island back in near my section and I'll pay the exaggerated price versus saving money on a Bud. Plus it helps when I go anywhere else, notably golf courses and I now just laugh at how "cheap" the beer is from the beer cart girl.

The only real downside risk to my approach is that there's no assurance you can find reasonably priced playoff tickets. But that's a risk I'm willing to live with... there was no shortage of resale tickets available during the 2019 playoffs.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
The only real downside risk to my approach is that there's no assurance you can find reasonably priced playoff tickets. But that's a risk I'm willing to live with... there was no shortage of resale tickets available during the 2019 playoffs.

Agreed. I imagine they'd be quite pricey. From what I can see in old emails, the 2018 playoffs when we had a shot at making the Cup final had a P1 price for the final round of $454.50/seat (P7 136.95) and I imagine if/when the team is really competitive there would be substantial demand. But until we hit that point again the "perk" of reasonably priced playoff tickets isn't much of a perk. I expect if we squeeze in this year again there'll be no shortage of available tickets.

Sad part is I really, really like my current seats. 8 rows off the ice, aisle seats, just so nice. But I need to find people to share with me and I know I'm losing people. So I don't expect I'll have tickets in 2 years.

Reactions: jetsmooseice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad