News Article: Fuelled by Dispassion (CBC news article)

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Consistent seat to go to? Definite pluses there, I love my current seats.

I certainly love my comfy reclining chair in the loge, it has likely saved me from a world of hip and back pain over the past 5 years. However, if I was in the regular seats I can see the advantage of being able to move around and see the games from different perspectives. Although for physical comfort reasons, I would always get the back row of the 200's so I can stand up to watch the game for some of the time. And when you do that, it's almost like sitting in a suite for a fraction of the cost. :nod:

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I certainly love my comfy reclining chair in the loge, it has likely saved me from a world of hip and back pain over the past 5 years. However, if I was in the regular seats I can see the advantage of being able to move around and see the games from different perspectives. Although for physical comfort reasons, I would always get the back row of the 200's so I can stand up to watch the game for some of the time. And when you do that, it's almost like sitting in a suite for a fraction of the cost. :nod:

When I go to games I always pay extra to sit in the loge.

More room, wider seats and no obstruction to my view.

Reactions: Jets 31

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I suggest you watch the early years of the Jets with GST (Glass and Galardi), and a defense that could not move the puck. That was a terrible team, with a passionate fan base.

This team is lights out fast, at times, though some of the players like Scheifele and Wheeler seem slower yet bulkier, able to sustain a whole season of hits, this year. Defense is a lot less aggressive offensively, that's the biggest difference. More neutral zone play.

I don't know what to say if you think this team is boring, and that shot attempts are the difference. That sounds like malarkey to me. Maybe the impact of Big Buff shaking the whole building with big hits is missing, but the skill level is pretty fun to watch.

Glad to hear some optimism though from a millennial.

It's boring based on talent level and expectations. Which might be another big issue for the pull. Expectations were sky high after 17-18 and the team fell flat on its face down the stretch the year after and has continued to further plummet this year.

Now maybe if the org would come out and adress the fans about why they took a step back this year and stopped actually trying to push the heightened expectations on the fans then it might have gone over a bit differently this year.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I've been able to sit in the upper deck, where my seats are, and the lower bowl (from rows 2 to 10) a few times. The perspective is much different. You can see systems and the game much better in the upper deck, but the game's speed is much more apparent in the lower bowl, and you can appreciate just how little space they have.

I like both, I'd like to be able to see both. You can get an "upgrade to p3 for a game" option with Jets points. I tried to do that for the Feb 9 game but they only had the option for four more games this year.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Is it a Bartley Kives article?

Yes, published on a CBC website.

CBC, the network that discusses a Winnipeg situation through the comments of two 'experts' in Ottawa.

Not unlike their national news show which frequently has a panel from Toronto and Montreal discussing issues in Calgary, the west Coast, the tar sands, the wheat farmers...

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Yup.

And, let's be completely honest here, it's a bit discouraging (at least to me) that we're nearly a full 10 years in and have yet to establish any sort of consistent playoff identity or contender status. I do think we're close and potentially on the brink but the D obviously needs fixed and Maurice has to find a way to improve these underlying numbers and collectively get this thing back on track. If it doesn't begin happening next season and beyond, as nice of a job as Chevy has done building and drafting as the GM, I'll be sitting here losing all the faith in the world in him to get this team where it needs to be.

From ownership to management the philosophy has always been that we will build this team and organization so we're not in one year and out the next. It has always been preached that we're going after sustainable, consistent, long-term success.

We seem to be at a crossroads on whether it's all going to come together or not? The fact of the matter is, regardless of why or which excuse you insert, after nearly 10 years it hasn't happened yet, that's the fact. If it doesn't happen soon we'll be sitting 11-12+ years since the relocation with a 30 year old Scheif. Try selling that. The clock is ticking and it's damn near midnight.

Well, half the other teams (who have been around for 20+ years) haven't established a consistent playoff identity or contender status either. Not saying that we shouldn't want more, but the Jets aren't alone in that regard. It's a competitive league and only a handful of teams are able to establish themselves as perpetual playoff threats.

Reactions: Jets 31

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
I think apathetic describes it well. I don’t go to a ton of games though not living in the city. I said at the beginning of the year that with an obviously below average defence that if we played a wide open style it would at least be entertaining even when losing. Or some higher level of physical play. When it’s not there along with underachieving I think it’s frustrating to pay good money for it.
While I’m still living and dying with each game, it feels like management doesn’t feel the same (perceived I’m sure), or there would have been changes with specific personnel to combat some terrible underlying numbers the last 2 years. That’s frustrating from a very engaged fan.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
A lot of interesting comments put forth in this thread. Thanks for that.

For me, the on ice issues have been the driving force of why my interest has weaned. I don't mind the expense for the number of games I'm going to (but a decent paying job helps there). Rather, the way the team is playing has made me lose a bit of interest.

I get the D was in horrible shape, and I expected us to be a bubble team. But I thought our F group would be scoring way more than they were. So when faced with what is perceived to be an awful D group followed by a lackluster F group, you wonder why you're paying ticket prices at the amount they're at. Plus, very little perks to have season tickets when you can buy games individually now, sometimes for cheaper than season ticket prices.

I'm not going out of our group just yet. I'll give it one more season. But, frankly, if the on ice product doesn't improve, I might be leaving our group (although that situation is complicated, since I'm splitting my share equally with a co-worker :laugh:)

Reactions: Jedub

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
I think apathetic describes it well. I don’t go to a ton of games though not living in the city. I said at the beginning of the year that with an obviously below average defence that if we played a wide open style it would at least be entertaining even when losing. Or some higher level of physical play. When it’s not there along with underachieving I think it’s frustrating to pay good money for it.
While I’m still living and dying with each game, it feels like management doesn’t feel the same (perceived I’m sure), or there would have been changes with specific personnel to combat some terrible underlying numbers the last 2 years. That’s frustrating from a very engaged fan.
Yes exactly. What management would have allowed their defense core to be decimated like Chevy did ? What management would refuse to look at other coaches after years of bottom feeder analytics ? There is no commitment to win here. There has been no pressure to win here. Having said that, bravo to those fans who are still willing to spend money on the team. Winnipeg needs the Jets.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
This is natural in any product/service, the honeymoon stage is over the demand is now mature and you can bet your last dollar that both Chipman & Thompson knew this was coming at some point around now. Small market, not a super affluent market......no surprises here assuming you know about economics & marketing.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The games are less exciting. There wasn't a penalty called during the last home game.

Less hitting, fighting, physical play. It's tough for a crowd to get into it.

:laugh: To each his own.
I liked the continuous play at even strength over the distorted action of a PP. That was a very entertaining game.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
This is what happens when you price a family out of games. I have a daughter, shes 5. For me her and her mother to go costs way 2 much and the teams pathetic effort just isn't worth it
I can just imagine a normal middle class (or upper middle class, for that matter) family of four going to a typical game. 100 bucks per ticket, drinks, parking... 500 dollars (conservative estimate), only to have the home team decide not to show up like so many of the home games this season.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS

I went in expecting us to be bad, like bottom 6 bad. But i was hoping we'd be exciting while losing shoot out type games. Instead we're mediocre and boring. I don't even find myself watching a majority of the games lately to be honest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Hockey at its core is meant for kids. My parents woke up at 5am to take me to practices in Stony Mountain for 630am. They would take us to Jets 1.0 games when i was very very very young.. I dont really remember but have tix here to prove it. A wee bit young... Hockey registration was cheaper.. Everything was. Now to sign my kid up for soccer costs 120 bucks.. For a 5 yr old.

Hockey tho,with the rising prices of equipment and tickets are really pricing the families who can now watch every game at home for free out.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
This is natural in any product/service, the honeymoon stage is over the demand is now mature and you can bet your last dollar that both Chipman & Thompson knew this was coming at some point around now. Small market, not a super affluent market......no surprises here assuming you know about economics & marketing.
Demand is "mature"... I like that terminology. It's very accurate and it's quite illustrative. Winnipeg fans used to feel a genuine sense of obligation and debt to Chipman on top of the usual fan drivers such as love of the game and the team. I think that after so many years of costs exceeding value, the time of reckoning is closing in...

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Put an exciting product on the ice and the building is happy and rocking. Pit the boring as all heck product that we have seen most nights this year on the ice and you have a very apathetic crowd.

This isn't a Jets problem it's an NHL problem. Watch regular season hockey in any building and it gets boring.

Reactions: BlakeScheifehlaine

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
These issues have been discussed at great length in the STH thread. From reading that and here, I think a big part of the problem is that STH have to pay for pre-season games whereas secondary market ticket buyers do not. This is the factor that makes season tickets actually cost more than buying tickets on a game by game basis. TNSE has to recognize that these pre-season games are just not worth near as much as regular season games and price them accordingly.

This a huge issue. As a STH I feel the main benefit to me is access to playoff tickets at a discount. If they aren’t contending there’s not really a benefit (yeah spending an extra $2000 potential is THE benefit).

The perpetual price increases cannot continue in this market (think the data is something like average wage growth around 2-5% and most Jets tickets have increased 29%). Its just not sustainable. The extra 10% for preseason games is just the cherry on the shit sundae.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I think the Jets will be fine for the next 20 to 30 years.

My concern is for the NHL and hockey in general.

Grassroots is hurting as organized hockey is becoming too expensive to play.

I can foresee a day where hockey will become a sport played only by the wealthy elites just like Polo since not everyone can afford a horse.

Soccer and basketball are much less expensive to play and therefore more accessible.

I can also foresee NHL buildings getting smaller with premium seating and amenities catering to corporations and the wealthy.

Regular people will simply watch games and home on their hi def tvs with surround sound.

If you want ticket prices to come down then the federal government needs to eliminate hockey tickets as an entertainment expense for corporations.

I've followed the Jets from WHA to 1.0 to 2.0 and I will continue to do so, however, I am under no allusions that the NHL will be around forever.
Agreed , hockey is very expensive for parents . I don't have kids but some of my friends do and the price they pay for hockey is really goofy . Equipment is way overpriced plus lots of the parents free time is going all to hockey as well . They have to figure out a way to make it more affordable or you are not going to see many kids getting into hockey . Golf has alot of the same issues , expensive to play , equipment way overpriced and takes alot of time to play . Courses have closed around here and membership is never full at the private ones . 4,000 dollars a year , which is 5 months of actual playing time is alot of money and you haven't bought any clubs yet . :laugh:

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
The article said in the short term... because we don't know what the future holds. IMO the bigger risk to the long term viability of the Jets is tied to the long term viability of the NHL. People's habits are changing, the NHL is becoming what appears to be "older crowd" entertainment ( baseball is finding themselves in a similar situation ) , and the prices are just getting too high. Not saying the NHL is going to die, but there are signs that they are hitting a critical junction in their path, and they will need to make changes.

And the USD-CAD exchange. Which is a huge issue for the whole league as so much revenue is in CAD.

I believe TNSE has nicely hedged it’s investment into the NHL with the downtown real estate, IcePlex etc.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
I went in expecting us to be bad, like bottom 6 bad. But i was hoping we'd be exciting while losing shoot out type games. Instead we're mediocre and boring. I don't even find myself watching a majority of the games lately to be honest.

umm ok. I didn't realize I was on breitbart.

Well, when we think of teams being 'defensively bad', the silver lining is the hope that we get games like you describe. But that would require PMDs who, though perhaps not good at defending against a rush, are capable of retrieving the puck and move it up ice effectively. What teams have both high GF and GA? Not many, only weird outliers like the Panthers and the Leafs.

We have talented forwards...but honestly, so do most other teams in the league. And it doesn't matter how talented they are, if we can't even get the puck out of our own zone. Defense generates offense.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This a huge issue. As a STH I feel the main benefit to me is access to playoff tickets at a discount. If they aren’t contending there’s not really a benefit (yeah spending an extra $2000 potential is THE benefit).

The perpetual price increases cannot continue in this market (think the data is something like average wage growth around 2-5% and most Jets tickets have increased 29%). Its just not sustainable. The extra 10% for preseason games is just the cherry on the **** sundae.

Unfortunately, I don't think Jets can afford to cut the pre-season games out of the package or to just cut the price by a large amount. But I think it would help if they make a revenue neutral adjustment. That means a nominally lower price for the pre-season games and nominally higher for regular season games. Approximately 1% more for regular games would fund a 10% cut for the preseason. Do that 5 times over 10 years and the pre-season games are at half the price of regular season games, roughly speaking. The ST package is the same total.

But that just adds to the annual increase, so isn't entirely attractive either. I think Jets have found the point of diminishing returns.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Yes exactly. What management would have allowed their defense core to be decimated like Chevy did ? What management would refuse to look at other coaches after years of bottom feeder analytics ? There is no commitment to win here. There has been no pressure to win here. Having said that, bravo to those fans who are still willing to spend money on the team. Winnipeg needs the Jets.

"Allowed their defense core..." So you really think Chevy took no action at all? How do you know this?

"management would refuse to look..." Again, how do you know they refused? Did you expect them to share with your all their deliberations last summer about changing coaches?

"There is no commitment...no pressure". Nonsense. That's just your opinion. And I will also support your right to voice your opinion. But it helps to remember that it's yours and might possibly not be shared with as many people as you think.

Reactions: GNP and C Plus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->