News Article: Fuelled by Dispassion (CBC news article)

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Agreed. I imagine they'd be quite pricey. From what I can see in old emails, the 2018 playoffs when we had a shot at making the Cup final had a P1 price for the final round of $454.50/seat (P7 136.95) and I imagine if/when the team is really competitive there would be substantial demand. But until we hit that point again the "perk" of reasonably priced playoff tickets isn't much of a perk. I expect if we squeeze in this year again there'll be no shortage of available tickets.

Sad part is I really, really like my current seats. 8 rows off the ice, aisle seats, just so nice. But I need to find people to share with me and I know I'm losing people. So I don't expect I'll have tickets in 2 years.

I'll be refusing my playoff tickets this year for that reason.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Wow this post was interesting. I had no idea the Moose actually block weekend games for the Jets. I am shocked.

Like having the Moose in the city but it sounds like there is a venue/timing issue. Would it be possible for the Moose to share the rink being built for the Winnipeg Ice?

Would it be possible for the Ice to share BELL MTS Place?

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
"Allowed their defense core..." So you really think Chevy took no action at all? How do you know this?

"management would refuse to look..." Again, how do you know they refused? Did you expect them to share with your all their deliberations last summer about changing coaches?

"There is no commitment...no pressure". Nonsense. That's just your opinion. And I will also support your right to voice your opinion. But it helps to remember that it's yours and might possibly not be shared with as many people as you think.

He was up against the cap and couldn't do anything but take other teams garbage to fill out the AHL defense. He let it play out and hoped for the best like he has many times before. The OP point of view has just as much as merit as yours does.

How do you know he looked at other players? Looked at other coaches? Actually of we are being honest maurice was signed last summer already so he definitely didnt look at any other coaches

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
He was up against the cap and couldn't do anything but take other teams garbage to fill out the AHL defense. He let it play out and hoped for the best like he has many times before. The OP point of view has just as much as merit as yours does.

How do you know he looked at other players? Looked at other coaches? Actually of we are being honest maurice was signed last summer already so he definitely didnt look at any other coaches

Chevy refuted that assertion in his interview on hockey central yesterday. Said they talked in the summer but things were too busy to finalize anything until recently.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Chevy refuted that assertion in his interview on hockey central yesterday. Said they talked in the summer but things were too busy to finalize anything until recently.

C'mon let's get real here. Maurice said he knew it was going to be done. It was always going to happen things just piled up and it got delayed.

If the jets were last in the NHL it still would of happened

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
My brother just sent me this, it's STH appreciation day in Philadelphia. Here's what they're getting.

Update: two entire sections get Roku Premieres.

IMG_4741.jpg
IMG_4742.jpg
IMG_4743.jpg

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I can't imagine there is a single team in all 4 major leagues that does less for fans then TNSE does. It doesn't even make sense.

When we snapped up 13,000 season tickets in a matter of seconds, and happily bent ourselves over the seat we were assigned and said "I'll take it" when given the take it or leave it choice, this city collectively showed its desperation and True North knew what they had: a bunch of suckers with no self-esteem.

When they're saying, oh, they can do without me
Then I wonder how much more I can spend
Well, I guess I should stick up for myself
But I really think it's better this way
The more you suffer
The more it shows you really care
Right, yeah, yeah, yeah

With apologies to Dexter Holland.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Winnipeggers are very cheap and very fickle. The fact this team which is in the playoff hunt, has several exciting young players, and has about 1000 seats available for purchase says a lot. Winnipeg Jets historically had the worst attendance out of all the Canadian teams every year, and were always in the bottom 5 for attendance. Tickets back then were really cheap. You could get tickets for as little as $7 in the late 1980's. This is what Winnipeggers signed up for when they wanted the Jets back in town. Salaries are going to continue to escalate.

Whodey204

Oct 2, 2017
Winnipeggers are very cheap and very fickle. The fact this team which is in the playoff hunt, has several exciting young players, and has about 1000 seats available for purchase says a lot. Winnipeg Jets historically had the worst attendance out of all the Canadian teams every year, and were always in the bottom 5 for attendance. Tickets back then were really cheap. You could get tickets for as little as $7 in the late 1980's. This is what Winnipeggers signed up for when they wanted the Jets back in town. Salaries are going to continue to escalate.
Agree with this. With all the complaining going around, who knows how long it will before the team goes down the same path as before. Having hockey in a small city like this is going to come at a cost - likely with more expensive seats and less perks than other cities

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island

Yeah, blame the fans. Not the cheap owners with the worst in game hockey experience in North America.

Let's also call a spade a spade here: Winnipeg Arena was a garbage dump of an NHL arena.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Agree with this. With all the complaining going around, who knows how long it will before the team goes down the same path as before. Having hockey in a small city like this is going to come at a cost - likely with more expensive seats and less perks than other cities

You'd think the marketing people behind selling the product would understand the market a bit better. Clearly the vast majority of the tickets aren't corporate in a city like Winnipeg. If they want to have money in the kitty for all 45 home games they need to support the STH's in the resale market otherwise they'll gradually lose the base and have more single-game inventory. There's a balance between cost and ability to attend all games, there's a need to maintain groups (minimum 2 people per seat) and a need to sell tickets people aren't going to use.

Retaining those STH's who take all that on and guarantee that building income for the Jets has to be a priority. If they hand out a few plane tickets they got comped from a sponsor or minor home appliances it doesn't even cost them anything. It's built into sponsor arrangements. There's just not a lot of effort from TNSE.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

And the average dual income household income in 1990 was under $45,000 per year before tax. Now it's around $100,000.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg

I dont think the city signed up for a decade of mediocrity

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014

How much money has Chipman made in what the team is worth? 400 mill profit today if he sells

What does Chipman make in arena naming rights
What does Chipman make in Sportsnet national contract
What does Chipman make in TSN3 regional contract
What does Chipman make in 1290 radio contract
What did Chipman make in Vegas expansion
What will Chipman make in Seattle expansion

There is no reason besides greed that Winnipeg needs to be the #4 average ticket price in NHL

Whodey204

Oct 2, 2017
How much money has Chipman made in what the team is worth? 400 mill profit today if he sells

There is no reason besides greed that Winnipeg needs to be the #4 average ticket price in NHL

What does Chipman make for all of those things? Likely the same or less than almost every other team in the league. It takes over $100M in revenue just to pay player salaries, and they will likely have tens of millions more in costs above those salaries...

It's called small market. Our revenue streams will be low, and rely on higher ticket prices for the team to be viable. The NHL seems far more committed to supporting teams in the southern US operating at a loss than they ever would be here. Chasing the dream of massive US TV deals I assume.

No businessman wants to run anything at negative income year after year. The gain in franchise value isn't enough to overcome indefinite yearly losses. TNSE could easily run out of cash due to yearly losses, forcing ownership to inject cash out of their pockets or TNSE to borrow against said capital gain. TNSE would be in trouble if theres a negative cash position regardless of the gain in franchise value.

Not implying the team is in financial trouble. Chipman seems to be building the Jets as a brand with multiple intertwined sources of revenue which support each other. That being said, if the empty seats get worse, causing a significant drop in prices, then inevitably the team is likely going to be in trouble again.

Reactions: Positive and GNP

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
What does Chipman make for all of those things? Likely the same or less than almost every other team in the league. It takes over $100M in revenue just to pay player salaries, and they will likely have tens of millions more in costs above those salaries...

It's called small market. Our revenue streams will be low, and rely on higher ticket prices for the team to be viable. The NHL seems far more committed to supporting teams in the southern US operating at a loss than they ever would be here. Chasing the dream of massive US TV deals I assume.

No businessman wants to run anything at negative income year after year. The gain in franchise value isn't enough to overcome indefinite yearly losses. TNSE could easily run out of cash due to yearly losses, forcing ownership to inject cash out of their pockets or TNSE to borrow against said capital gain. TNSE would be in trouble if theres a negative cash position regardless of the gain in franchise value.

Not implying the team is in financial trouble. Chipman seems to be building the Jets as a brand with multiple intertwined sources of revenue which support each other. That being said, if the empty seats get worse, causing a significant drop in prices, then inevitably the team is likely going to be in trouble again.
TNSE has used the Jets to fuel real estate plays. Tax breaks, lotteries money have helped fund the team. Nobody has had much problem with that. That will change quickly if the fans feel like they are being taken advantage of.

Reactions: thegr8one66

Whodey204

Oct 2, 2017
TNSE has used the Jets to fuel real estate plays. Tax breaks, lotteries money have helped fund the team. Nobody has had much problem with that. That will change quickly if the fans feel like they are being taken advantage of.

Agreed. It will be a delicate balance of keeping the fans happy and revenues maximized. If they lose the fans, or revenues dont keep up with rising expenses, then the team is at risk again.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

Those values are extremely hypothetical. I can't see how someone could pay >$500 million for a NHL team in Winnipeg right now and have the cash flows be positive against that investment, keeping in mind that except for the richest of the rich a chunk of that price would be financed. TBH the value would be in owning a franchise that could potentially be portable to somewhere like Houston at that price. Maybe $250-$300 million if they sold right now is what they'd actually get.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Those values are extremely hypothetical. I can't see how someone could pay >$500 million for a NHL team in Winnipeg right now and have the cash flows be positive against that investment, keeping in mind that except for the richest of the rich a chunk of that price would be financed. TBH the value would be in owning a franchise that could potentially be portable to somewhere like Houston at that price. Maybe $250-$300 million if they sold right now is what they'd actually get.
No one would ever buy the Jets to keep them in Winnipeg. We are a horrible market for anyone that isn’t already heavily invested in Winnipeg like Chipman is. We are borderline too small, terrible weather during the regular season so we get few visitors and little sustained night life and we have little in the way of corporate offices for them to buy up much of the available season tickets. Add in we are a whole sale city where everyone wants everything on the cheap. Any sale would come with a relocation.

Reactions: GNP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->