News Article: Fuelled by Dispassion (CBC news article)

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I am not in Winnipeg so I don't even have the option of paying for tickets but if I did, I would find it hard to spend good money on this team. It is okay to have lean periods but to have a "lean period" of 6 years followed by a good team for 1.5 seasons and then seemingly drifting into another lean period is a bitter pill to swallow. TNSE simply can't rely on it being the Jets to rake in the ticket money, they need to incentivize people on other ways (be if cheaper tickets, better benefits, more carrot in terms of events and perks or some combination of the above). That combined with improvements in the on ice product (like not getting outshot by big margins almost every game) should be enough to have a stable base of ticket holders even if the wins are not coming as much as the fans would like. They need to be careful about not acting like the on-ice product is the Pittsburgh Penguins and pricing their product as such.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I’d say rising ticket prices and the honeymoon period being over is probably the biggest.
Definitely to the ticket prices. If by "Honeymoon period" you mean that the locals don't get excited about a visit by Columbus on a cold Tuesday night, then that's for sure.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Put an exciting product on the ice and the building is happy and rocking. Pit the boring as all heck product that we have seen most nights this year on the ice and you have a very apathetic crowd.
Massive price increases, massive concession costs, very few weekend games, poor home record, virtually no frills for the season ticket holders... should we really be surprised?

Thank you True North for bringing the NHL back. You are truly a textbook organization for wooing the NHL and getting a top tier pro-league in a city considered to be too small and too isolated. For that, I will be always grateful. However, that's where your expertise ends. You have either no idea how to keep your fanbase engaged or you know but you don't care. I think it's the latter. Take it from me, a former season ticket holder who could no longer afford the massive cost involved to help support the Jets, and also felt a just a tiny bit resentful at how season ticket holders were taken for granted right up until very recently.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Massive price increases, massive concession costs, very few weekend games, poor home record, virtually no frills for the season ticket holders... should we really be surprised?

Add in the fact that this is how they respond to everything:

True North declined repeated requests for interviews over the past two months and also declined to respond to questions posed via email.

The whole " you should be damn lucky we brought you NHL hockey so you should shut the f*** up and just pay whatever we ask of you " attitude from TNSE and their ticket reps has a lot to do with it.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Thank you True North for bringing the NHL back. You are truly a textbook organization for wooing the NHL and getting a top tier pro-league in a city considered to be too small and too isolated. For that, I will be always grateful. However, that's where your expertise ends. You have either no idea how to keep your fanbase engaged or you know but you don't care. I think it's the latter. Take it from me, a former season ticket holder who could no longer afford the massive cost involved to help support the Jets, and also felt a just a tiny bit resentful at how season ticket holders were taken for granted right up until very recently.

The article is interesting. On the one hand, it suggests that the long-term health of the franchise is fine.

On the other, it says that the team might not be able to provide as much in the way of benefits to ticket holders if they're operating on thinner margins and not wanting to take large losses.

I think the biggest issue is team performance and the honeymoon period being over. I agree that the benefits beyond playoff priority are minimal for STHs (and even that isn't as big as the previous two years), but I see a lot of stuff about how we as STHs are taken for granted, but nothing about any kind of real answers as to what they could do to change it.

Prices are going to increase, I understand that so I'm not resentful that the cost has gone up. Concession quality has decreased while prices have gone up,I'll give you that. Ultimately you're paying for access though. I'm not renewing my seats but that's not because of any resentment - ultimately, if I enjoyed going to games that much, I would keep them, despite the gift price or the cost of beer.

Reactions: surixon

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
The article is interesting. On the one hand, it suggests that the long-term health of the franchise is fine.

On the other, it says that the team might not be able to provide as much in the way of benefits to ticket holders if they're operating on thinner margins and not wanting to take large losses.

I think the biggest issue is team performance and the honeymoon period being over. I agree that the benefits beyond playoff priority are minimal for STHs (and even that isn't as big as the previous two years), but I see a lot of stuff about how we as STHs are taken for granted, but nothing about any kind of real answers as to what they could do to change it.

Prices are going to increase, I understand that so I'm not resentful that the cost has gone up. Concession quality has decreased while prices have gone up,I'll give you that. Ultimately you're paying for access though. I'm not renewing my seats but that's not because of any resentment - ultimately, if I enjoyed going to games that much, I would keep them, despite the gift price or the cost of beer.
I didn't renew my tickets for two tangible (non emotional) reasons: I could no longer afford them and I could no longer attend enough games to make it worthwhile. However, I did experience plenty of things that, quite frankly, turned me off as a STH.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I didn't renew my tickets for two tangible (non emotional) reasons: I could no longer afford them and I could no longer attend enough games to make it worthwhile. However, I did experience plenty of things that, quite frankly, turned me off as a STH.

I didn't renew for the same reasons. The stuff on the side, like STH "benefits", while they could've been nicer, didn't impact the decision. I don't think the future of the franchise is dependent on that.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I’d say rising ticket prices and the honeymoon period being over is probably the biggest.

Put an exciting product on the ice and the building is happy and rocking. Pit the boring as all heck product that we have seen most nights this year on the ice and you have a very apathetic crowd.

Yup.

And, let's be completely honest here, it's a bit discouraging (at least to me) that we're nearly a full 10 years in and have yet to establish any sort of consistent playoff identity or contender status. I do think we're close and potentially on the brink but the D obviously needs fixed and Maurice has to find a way to improve these underlying numbers and collectively get this thing back on track. If it doesn't begin happening next season and beyond, as nice of a job as Chevy has done building and drafting as the GM, I'll be sitting here losing all the faith in the world in him to get this team where it needs to be.

From ownership to management the philosophy has always been that we will build this team and organization so we're not in one year and out the next. It has always been preached that we're going after sustainable, consistent, long-term success.

We seem to be at a crossroads on whether it's all going to come together or not? The fact of the matter is, regardless of why or which excuse you insert, after nearly 10 years it hasn't happened yet, that's the fact. If it doesn't happen soon we'll be sitting 11-12+ years since the relocation with a 30 year old Scheif. Try selling that. The clock is ticking and it's damn near midnight.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'm not happy how the season has gone but losing Buff and Little with no return is very tough to deal with for any team . I will say if we somehow make the playoffs this season , that's 3 years in a row making the dance . This franchise is not in as bad of shape as some would like you to believe .

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The article literally says the long term health of the franchise is NOT an issue.

The article said in the short term... because we don't know what the future holds. IMO the bigger risk to the long term viability of the Jets is tied to the long term viability of the NHL. People's habits are changing, the NHL is becoming what appears to be "older crowd" entertainment ( baseball is finding themselves in a similar situation ) , and the prices are just getting too high. Not saying the NHL is going to die, but there are signs that they are hitting a critical junction in their path, and they will need to make changes.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

I don't think that is it at all. I would say the Jets are one of the least boring teams to watch. I think the crowd has a lot to do with age. Who are the wealthiest people in Winnipeg? Baby boomers. Small business owners. Medical professionals, most of which were born outside the country. 50 year olds don't generally make for a raucus crowd, I am sorry to say. Watch the old Jets and people were younger. They could afford to drink more beer, which makes for a louder crowd.

It's just economic reality. Look at the cost of a house, most have tripled and quadrupled in price in 20 years. That's real debt that people have to deal with, as well as ever increasing taxes and utilities. Job security is probably as tenuous as ever, especially government union jobs. And the Canadian economy could go into recession with Trudeau in power, which affects the operation of the team. One of the reasons I am not complaining that True North has gone the cheaper route this year, not unlike the old Atlanta days. but with better star power.

I started off with 5 games a year. $1000 investment. Now I just go to random games, through ticket sharing sites.
I think people know that it will take a community effort to keep the Jets, as the smallest market. Maybe the novelty will wear off. I don't see the next generation sustaining the team. So enjoy the ride.

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The article said in the short term... because we don't know what the future holds. IMO the bigger risk to the long term viability of the Jets is tied to the long term viability of the NHL. People's habits are changing, the NHL is becoming what appears to be "older crowd" entertainment ( baseball is finding themselves in a similar situation ) , and the prices are just getting too high. Not saying the NHL is going to die, but there are signs that they are hitting a critical junction in their path, and they will need to make changes.

Sure, but that's a league wide risk and less specific to just this market.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

While I as much as anyone has probably beaten the topic to death in other threads I'll still comment here.

Relative to your reasons those won't be what will drive me out of being a season ticket holder. I can, relatively speaking, afford the tickets. I have 15 games a year as part of a group, I can indeed afford that (I cannot afford 45 reasonably in terms of how many games I'd have to miss and I honestly don't want to be at 45). I usually end up at about 5 more through various friends. I can attend enough games to make it worth my while though to be honest I think my sweet spot would be five games less so my total is closer to 15.

The difficulty I'm having is holding my group together. We've lost people through the years at each contract. That's not a huge issue so long as you can replace people in the group. We lost one guy because he didn't have the time or interest anymore (he fit that early 'excitement' category). We lost another guy because he has a young family now. One guy in the group dropped from 10 down to five games and he has told me already he's not back for the next contract. It's difficult to keep filling these holes. The reason why is that it is cheaper to NOT be part of a season ticket group for all the familiar reasons: you can get tickets cheaper by going on the secondary market; you get to pick and choose your games; you don't end up with pre-season games you're paying for.

That's not to say that the perks of being a season ticket holder don't exist but they're relatively intangible at this point. "Cheap" playoff tickets? Check. In the years we actually make it and many others have talked about a lack of consistency over the ten years so far. So there's marginal benefit there. Consistent seat to go to? Definite pluses there, I love my current seats. I'm not so sure that applied to me for the first 8 years so YMMV. Beyond that I'm not certain what the benefits are at this point. I'd definitely like to see those posted.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't think that is it at all. I would say the Jets are one of the least boring teams to watch. I think the crowd has a lot to do with age. Who are the wealthiest people in Winnipeg? Baby boomers. Small business owners. Medical professionals, most of which were born outside the country. 50 year olds don't generally make for a raucus crowd, I am sorry to say. Watch the old Jets and people were younger. They could afford to drink more beer, which makes for a louder crowd.

It's just economic reality. Look at the cost of a house, most have tripled and quadrupled in price in 20 years. That's real debt that people have to deal with, as well as ever increasing taxes and utilities. Job security is probably as tenuous as ever, especially government union jobs. And the Canadian economy could go into recession with Trudeau in power, which affects the operation of the team. One of the reasons I am not complaining that True North has gone the cheaper route this year, not unlike the old Atlanta days. but with better star power.

I started off with 5 games a year. $1000 investment. Now I just go to random games, through ticket sharing sites.
I think people know that it will take a community effort to keep the Jets, as the smallest market. Maybe the novelty will wear off. I don't see the next generation sustaining the team. So enjoy the ride.

I completely disagree. For most of this year the team has been hemmed in their end hemerging shots and scoring chances will generating nothing much themselves and this is shown in what ever metrics or hear maps you see. There is a significant difference in the behaviour of the crowd in games where they play good exciting hockey and where they play bad hockey. Also look no further then a year and a half ago to see how the team will support a great product.

I am a millennial and have no issue with the cost, many of my friends don't either. Research shows that millenials will pay for the experience which is why a quality product that is exciting is needed. They also need to upgrade the game day experience, the new market helps there but more needs to be done.

Also there are plenty of young people in this city with money.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I completely disagree. For most of this year the team has been hemmed in their end hemerging shots and scoring chances will generating nothing much themselves and this is shown in what ever metrics or hear maps you see. There is a significant difference in the behaviour of the crowd in games where they play good exciting hockey and where they play bad hockey. Also look no further then a year and a half ago to see how the team will support a great product.

I am a millennial and have no issue with the cost, many of my friends don't either. Research shows that millenials will pay for the experience which is why a quality product that is exciting is needed. They also need to upgrade the game day experience, the new market helps there but more needs to be done.

Also there are plenty of young people in this city with money.

I suggest you watch the early years of the Jets with GST (Glass and Galardi), and a defense that could not move the puck. That was a terrible team, with a passionate fan base.

This team is lights out fast, at times, though some of the players like Scheifele and Wheeler seem slower yet bulkier, able to sustain a whole season of hits, this year. Defense is a lot less aggressive offensively, that's the biggest difference. More neutral zone play.

I don't know what to say if you think this team is boring, and that shot attempts are the difference. That sounds like malarkey to me. Maybe the impact of Big Buff shaking the whole building with big hits is missing, but the skill level is pretty fun to watch.

Glad to hear some optimism though from a millennial.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
These issues have been discussed at great length in the STH thread. From reading that and here, I think a big part of the problem is that STH have to pay for pre-season games whereas secondary market ticket buyers do not. This is the factor that makes season tickets actually cost more than buying tickets on a game by game basis. TNSE has to recognize that these pre-season games are just not worth near as much as regular season games and price them accordingly.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I think the Jets will be fine for the next 20 to 30 years.

My concern is for the NHL and hockey in general.

Grassroots is hurting as organized hockey is becoming too expensive to play.

I can foresee a day where hockey will become a sport played only by the wealthy elites just like Polo since not everyone can afford a horse.

Soccer and basketball are much less expensive to play and therefore more accessible.

I can also foresee NHL buildings getting smaller with premium seating and amenities catering to corporations and the wealthy.

Regular people will simply watch games and home on their hi def tvs with surround sound.

If you want ticket prices to come down then the federal government needs to eliminate hockey tickets as an entertainment expense for corporations.

I've followed the Jets from WHA to 1.0 to 2.0 and I will continue to do so, however, I am under no allusions that the NHL will be around forever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad